USCCB general secretary resigns amid allegations of improper behavior

Discussion in 'Church Critique' started by Muzhik, Jul 20, 2021 at 11:36 PM.

1. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

God is cleaning house.

Sunnyveil, Sam, AED and 1 other person like this.
  2. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 To Jesus + through Mary @-}---

My husband is a lapsed Catholic who believes clergy should be allowed to marry (heterosexual). He believes this would boost Church morale while also discouraging Gay men from pretending a vocation.

Julia likes this.
  3. Julia

Julia Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us.

I think in the protestant Churches where marriage is allowed among the pastors; they prefer unmarried men when they appoint bishops. So you could begin to wonder if the gay types are the only protestant ministers who will ever get promoted. Just sayin.

4. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

It's not only per "gays", it's also about fidelity. I think the demand for being celibate is okay but one has to be so strong in the faith. That's why I think a lot of young persons don't quite get it, mind you, I'm sure many do too, they have to have a strong background in the faith. And I'm sure that pertains to all ages actually. I knew a priest, he had the good looks for all to see. And I went to Church one Sunday, not my usual Church but I'm a bit acquainted with him and I swear, this woman seemed, well, pretty interessted (if not the proverbial "falling all over him") in talking to him after Mass and he pulled away. I have even heard stories which are even well known and published in books about how seminaries hopefully, "use to be"... I hope they are largely shaking that reputation. I visited one around the year 2000, I think every single last one Seminarian was of good standing though of course, I did not know every single one. Then, there are the other stories.

But it's not just whether they are gay or not, it is being faithful to one's vocation, one's duties. To one's vows.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021 at 3:33 PM
  5. AED

AED Powers

Very similar here with my spouse.

6. AED

AED Powers

I agree. "The winnowing fan is in His Hand..."
    Buckle up ....its going to be a very bumpy ride.

Sunnyveil and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  7. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 To Jesus + through Mary @-}---

Husband has long experience with Protestantism (still), but we're from very different backgrounds (and regions).

Based on my own experience (plenty), much of a married clergyman's success depends on the wife. In my childhood Protestant church, Rev. Ted's wife, Dorothy, was indeed "a help-meet." She played piano, amongst many other things.

In 2006, I began attending an Episcopal parish here. The TEC's position on pastors' wives was it's HIS job and she isn't required to volunteer time or effort. :unsure: I thought well...okay? (n) And I figured these wives would be grateful, the pressure's off, they'll be friendly and volunteering to an extent. :)

Well no siree. :confused:

So I've told husband that married Catholic clergy might not work either.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021 at 5:37 PM
  8. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Yes! Great description. Like.
    We must go to Confession often, Mass as often as we can. Rosaries , plural.

AED likes this.
  9. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

How long does this cleaning house take?? :confused: 50 years?

And I should make no mistake about this, I am sure it is few in number up and down but there are indications that some of this corruption is at the very top as well.

And these new statements on the Latin Mass are not helping

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021 at 5:18 PM
    AED and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  10. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

When St. Peter Damian was on Earth many centuries ago, the clergy was filled with Sodomite priests. The only difference was that his Pope was grateful to work with St. Peter Damian to eradicate the Sodomites.

Sam, AED, Clare A and 2 others like this.
  11. Don_D

Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

Unfortunately there have been cases of priests using this app for pederasty and grooming because underage teens frequent it and there is no way to truthfully verify age data. Nobody is saying that this is the case here but it has been an issue. The Pillar article speaks to this a bit more than the CNA article.
    Grindr is as hedonist as it gets.

AED, garabandal and Clare A like this.
  12. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

I tend to want to know the facts before I start labeling people as pedophiles.

13. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

14. Muzhik

Muzhik Powers

I beg to differ, and differ strongly. If under-aged males were involved, then "it would be better if a millstone had been wrapped around his neck and dropped into the sea"; it would be a matter for the secular authorities; BUT ... we know from approved visions and locutions this truth: that after demons successfully tempt men to engage in homosexual acts they flee in revulsion. Even demons will not spend time in the presence of those thwarting and abusing G_D's gift of binary sexuality. And then to think that this priest, after engaging in these acts, used those hands to consecrate the Body and Blood of Jesus? I know that the sinfulness of the priest does not negate the validity of the sacraments; but I cannot help but think that in some small way receiving Jesus from those hands would corrupt the receiver in some small way.

Even worse (if possible), if he had joined with another priest in absolving each other of these sins, that rises to such a violation of canon law as to require the excommunication of said priests. The secular media are poo-pooing the entire matter; but we Catholics know the enormity of the spiritual violation that he did and may have committed.

AED, Sam, HeavenlyHosts and 1 other person like this.
  15. Don_D

Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

Who called anyone a pedophile? Oh that's right, nobody.