When is the Mass valid vs. invalid or licit vs.illicit

Discussion in 'The Sacraments' started by soldier of christ, Aug 12, 2018.

1. soldier of christ

soldier of christ Archangels

I do appreciate everyone's comments to this original post. It does seem that there is still confusion in regards to this matter. I find you all very knowledgeable and very faithful to your call. It does bring some comfort and peace to be able to talk of these things with you all. What I find frightening is that we members of this forum are the ones that are aware of this fast approaching storm can still be unsure of what we should be doing, I can't imagine what the typical Catholic of these times are thinking. It is very scary how quickly that they could be lost. So in my original post I commented
    "So my real question here is as we progress further into this storm is what and how do we prepare ourselves in knowledge as to what will prevent a Mass from being valid or licit. There are not to many people sitting in the pews these days that could answer that question. We receive our strength through the participation of the Mass and our spiritual nourishment from the Eucharist. At some point people will be receiving"junk food" from and illicit or non valid Mass and not even realize it."
    I guess I am looking for some concrete things to look for that would invalidate a mass. If I just said to a member of my family that they should not go to that priest's mass because it is invalid, they would look at me as if I was crazy. I really don't care what they think, I am more concerned about their souls. Honestly, there are not any priests in my area that I would feel comfortable having this conversation with.

2. Don_D

Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

Most missals in the pew have the form of the Mass as well as the prayers in the back. Follow along at Mass and become familiar with it. Or, pick up a missal and study it. I prefer a missal because it expands on what the priest is doing.
    I began attending an FSSP Tridentine Mass a while back and started studying it in my free time so that I would understand what exactly is happening and so that I can actively participate.
    My local parish though has the Norvus Ordo Mass so I began following along because we had a priest filling in for Father while he was away. Unfortunately, I don't think that we can just extend our undivided trust to all priests to carry out the Mass as it was intended.

AED and gracia like this.
  3. Booklady

Booklady La Dolorosa

That is a good idea, Heavenly Hosts. The priest at a nearby parish is one I could ask this question. I have a great respect for this priest, he is a traditional priest and I believe that he could intervene in a charitable manner.
    Thank you

4. Adoremus

Adoremus Powers

Thanks for your reply. My son is 15 so impressionable enough and the priest was saying a lot of things that were very off the wall, in addition to the more overt irregularities/heresies. To be honest, you would have had to tie me down to get me to stay one more minute at that mass!

HeavenlyHosts and gracia like this.
  5. Jonah

Jonah Angels

It's all in Redemtionis Sacramentum. I simply googled it and found lots of info on EWTN pages and Catholic Answers etc

Adoremus and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  6. AED

AED Powers

I think in that case you are obligated to leave. Your child must be protected from toxic heresy.

HeavenlyHosts likes this.
  7. Joan J

Joan J HolySpiritCome!

8. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

The second one came out
    Thank you

9. Joan J

Joan J HolySpiritCome!

Doing my own test, I was able to open both photos on my work PC.