The Vatican Has Fallen

Discussion in 'Church Critique' started by padraig, Dec 31, 2016.

1. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Well, the Mass of St Pius V can never be abrogated. That’s a fact. Praying.

Michael Pio and AED like this.
  2. PurpleFlower

PurpleFlower Archangels

Yes, what a purifying test for the trads this would be. I am very fond of the Latin Mass myself and attend it exclusively, so I would certainly be sad. But our beloved Jesus is there on the altar offering Himself for us at every Mass, Novus Ordo or TLM. I pray this doesn't happen, but even more so, I pray that if it does, TLM-goers will be a beautiful witness of holy obedience and great love for Christ. Please God, don't let there be further splintering of Your hurting Church.

Sam, Mary's child, AED and 2 others like this.
  3. Luan Ribeiro

Luan Ribeiro Archangels

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  4. Luan Ribeiro

Luan Ribeiro Archangels

Will Cardinal Marx’s Resignation Boost His Influence Beyond Germany?

ANALYSIS: If the resignation is accepted by Pope Francis, there is still much the German cardinal could do within the Vatican and the universal Church with the power he will still wield.

[​IMG]
    Cardinal Reinhard Marx of Germany in St. Peter's Square on October 27, 2017. (photo: Daniel Ibanez/CNA / EWTN)
    Edward Pentin WorldJune 8, 2021
    VATICAN CITY — Cardinal Reinhard Marx’s surprise letter of resignation as archbishop of Munich and Freising last week appeared aimed at precipitating — to borrow the words of the World Economic Forum — a “great reset” of the German Church regarding its handling of clerical sex abuse.

But the move has potentially more far-reaching consequences than it seems, extending to both the Vatican and the universal Church, and with the much-disputed German Synodal Path serving as a determining factor.

In his May 21 resignation letter to Pope Francis, Cardinal Marx, who came under scrutiny for his handling of abuse cases earlier this year, said that investigations and reports of abuse over the past decade had shown “institutional or ‘systemic’ failure.” The Church, he added, had reached a “dead end,” but also a moment that could become a “turning point.”

He wrote of the need for a “renewed form of the Church” and a “new beginning” — all of which were contingent not only on his resignation but also on the continuation of the Synodal Path that grew out of the crisis and which he helped to create. “I have strongly supported the project,” Cardinal Marx wrote, adding almost with an air of desperation: “This path must be continued!”

Coming ahead of the publication of a report on sexual abuse in the Munich and Freising archdiocese this summer, the cardinal used most of his letter to underline the need to reform the Church’s handling of sexual abuse cases and to prevent such crimes in the future.

And yet this “queen’s sacrifice” chess-like move is only partial: Cardinal Marx has neither asked to surrender his red hat, nor his other significant responsibilities that are largely Rome-based. “I like being a priest and bishop and hope that I can continue to work for the Church in the future,” he wrote.

If the Pope accepts his resignation as archbishop, the former president of the German bishops’ conference will likely be able to devote more of his time and energy to these Vatican duties that include being a member of both the Council of Cardinals advising the Pope on curial and Church reform, and the Council for the Economy that oversees Holy See finances.

As a member of the Council of Cardinals, he has spent the past eight years helping to draft Praedicate Evangelium (Preach the Gospel), the new apostolic constitution for the Roman Curia. The document’s publication is imminent, possibly coming at the end of this month, and Cardinal Marx would be in an ideal position to oversee its implementation.

His resignation would also leave him free to be tapped for one of several leadership positions in the Roman Curia that will fall vacant in the coming months. The Congregation for Clergy and Congregation for Bishops are two of the most likely to soon need new prefects. If chosen for a Vatican position, Cardinal Marx, at 67, could potentially spend the next eight to 13 years expanding his influence in Rome.

Cardinal Marx’s authority also extends beyond Germany and the Vatican. He has the support of like-minded bishops in other parts of the world, including the United States, and in Europe from 2012 to 2018 he gained considerable influence as president of COMECE — the commission of bishops’ conferences of the European Community.

In the words of one Church source in Germany, Cardinal Marx continues to “have the power of 30 to 40 cardinals.”

The consolidating of such influence would put the cardinal in a commanding position not only to help lobby the Pope and Vatican officials to support his and others’ plans for the Synodal Path, but also apply those reforms to the Vatican’s upcoming two-year synod on synodality — “For a synodal Church: communion, participation and mission.”

The “German agenda” of reform, one that critics say could slide into schism, has not gone as smoothly as Cardinal Marx and others might have hoped. Their plans, for example, to allow the blessings of same-sex unions, the ordination of women, and the ending of clerical celibacy have remained unfulfilled or definitively ruled out. “Cardinal Marx can see the project speeding into a brick wall,” a Church source in Germany told the Register.

Hence, it seems, the urgency and unprecedented nature of this resignation letter — one that, unlike other episcopal resignation missives, was not kept private but published with the Pope’s permission, translated into several languages and given widespread publicity.

Another key aspect to the cardinal’s move could relate to fellow German bishop Cardinal Rainer Woelki. As the most prominent critic of the Synodal Path, Cardinal Woelki, the archbishop of Cologne, continues to oppose the project, and has faced concerted media and episcopal opposition as a result.

Cardinal Marx’s offer of resignation thus immediately upped the pressure on Cardinal Woelki, whose archdiocese is undergoing an apostolic visitation at the orders of Pope Francis, to follow suit, with media reports in Germany and Italy pointing to the possibility, even though he was recently cleared of wrongdoing in handling abuse cases in Cologne. To remove him from the picture would also serve to neutralize other less prominent opponents, such as Bishop Rudolf Voderholzer of Regensburg and Bishop Stefan Oster of Passau. Cardinal Woelki promptly rejected submitting his resignation, pledging that his diocese would “live up to Jesus’ mission to protect the weak and prevent abuse.”

Whatever the eventual consequences turn out to be for Cardinal Marx’s sudden request to renounce his episcopal duties in Germany, more appears to be at stake than the situation of clerical sexual abuse in the country. For the cardinal, his supporters, and their plans to change the Church, it seems to be another crisis they cannot afford to let go to waste.
    https://www.ncregister.com/news/will-cardinal-marx-s-resignation-boost-his-influence-beyond-germany

TinNM likes this.
  5. SteveD

SteveD Archangels

When the proverbial 'hits the fan' and there are calls for heads to roll, Marx can point out that he offered his resignation and the Pope declined to accept it and he can continue his relentless attack on Church teachings. All orchestrated by Marx and his friends in Germany and the Vatican (including one very important one in the latter place).

TinNM and Luan Ribeiro like this.
  6. Luan Ribeiro

Luan Ribeiro Archangels

POPE FRANCIS DECLINES CARDINAL MARX’S RESIGNATION
    Catholic News Agency / June 10, 2021 / 49

By CNA Staff

Vatican City, Jun 10, 2021 / 05:40 am

Pope Francis declined on Thursday the resignation of Cardinal Reinhard Marx, offered to him last month.

In a June 10 letter, the pope asked the influential German cardinal to continue as archbishop of Munich and Freising.

Writing in Spanish, Francis told Marx: “If you are tempted to think that, by confirming your mission and not accepting your resignation, this Bishop of Rome (your brother who loves you) does not understand you, think of what Peter felt before the Lord when, in his own way, he presented him with his resignation: ‘Depart from me, for I am a sinner,’ and listen to the answer: ‘Shepherd my sheep.’”

The 67-year-old cardinal is a member of the pope’s Council of Cardinals and the coordinator of the Vatican Council for the Economy. Until last year, he served as the chairman of the German bishops’ conference.

Marx sent a letter to Pope Francis May 21 outlining his reasons for seeking to resign from office.

The archdiocese of Munich and Freising published the cardinal’s letter to the pope and personal declaration on June 4 in German, English, and Italian.

Marx wrote: “Without doubt, these are times of crisis for the Church in Germany. There are, of course, many reasons for this situation — also beyond Germany in the whole world — and I believe it is not necessary to state them in detail here.”

“However, this crisis has also been caused by our own failure, by our own guilt. This has become clearer and clearer to me looking at the Catholic Church as a whole, not only today but also in the past decades,” he continued.

“In essence, it is important to me to share the responsibility for the catastrophe of the sexual abuse by Church officials over the past decades.”

In his response June 10, Pope Francis thanked Marx for his Christian courage, which he said is not afraid of the cross or to be humbled before the reality of sin.

He also said he liked the way that the archbishop had ended his letter. Marx wrote that he would “gladly continue to be a priest and bishop of this Church” and that he would like to dedicate his next years of service “in a more intense way to pastoral care and to commit myself to a spiritual renewal of the Church.”

“And this is my answer, dear brother,” the pope said in his letter. “Continue as you propose, but as archbishop of Munich and Freising.”

Noting Marx’s reference to the crisis of the Church in Germany, Francis said that “the whole Church is in crisis because of the abuse issue” and the only fruitful path is “to assume the crisis, personally and communally.”

“Therefore, in my opinion, every bishop of the Church must assume it and ask himself, ‘What should I do in the face of this catastrophe?’” he said.

The pope added that the “mea culpa” the Church has offered in the face of past failures must be taken up again today.

“We are asked for a reform, which — in this case — does not consist in words but in attitudes that have the courage to put themselves in crisis, to assume the reality whatever the consequences may be. And every reform begins with oneself,” he said.

Pope Francis suggested there was an urgent need to “air out” the Church from the reality of abuse and how it has been handled.

“Let the Spirit lead us to the desert of desolation, to the cross, and to the resurrection,” he said. “It is the path of the Spirit that we must follow, and the starting point is humble confession: we have made a mistake, we have sinned.”

He said: “We will not be saved by the prestige of our Church, which tends to conceal its sins; we will not be saved by the power of money or the opinion of the media (so often we are too dependent on them). We will be saved by opening the door to the Only One who can do it and confessing our nakedness: ‘I have sinned,’ ‘we have sinned’… and weeping, and stammering as best we can that ‘depart from me, for I am a sinner,’ a legacy that the first pope left to the popes and bishops of the Church.”

In his letter to the pope, Marx, who has served as archbishop of Munich and Freising since 2007, had said that he hoped his resignation would “send a personal signal for a new beginning, for a new awakening of the Church, not only in Germany.”

In April, Marx asked German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier not to bestow the Federal Cross of Merit on him after an outcry among advocates for abuse survivors over the award.

He had been scheduled to receive the Bundesverdienstkreuz, Germany’s only federal decoration, at the Bellevue Palace in Berlin on April 30.

Marx said that he did not want to draw negative attention to other award recipients.

In February 2020, he notified German bishops that he would not stand to be elected to a second term as chairman of the German bishops’ conference. He was succeeded in the post by Bishop Georg Bätzing of Limburg.
    https://www.thecatholictelegraph.com/pope-francis-declines-cardinal-marxs-resignation/75540

Julia likes this.
  7. Julia

Julia Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us.

Reading the contents of the above post, if I was now aware of the chaos going on in the Roman Catholic Church in Germany, not to mention the Vatican; it would make you think these are two very humble, holy men exchanging sentiments. They must have meant well...incredible, and confusing.

Luan Ribeiro likes this.
  8. Jason Fernando

Jason Fernando Archangels

TinNM likes this.
  9. TinNM

TinNM Principalities

There are a few Vatican stories in the past two days concerning Biden, I'm looking for another story as well and if I find it, I will add another posting.

US bishops set collision course with Vatican over plan to press Biden not to take Communion (yahoo.com)

US bishops set collision course with Vatican over plan to press Biden not to take Communion
    Steven P. Millies, Associate Professor of Public Theology and Director of The Bernardin Center, Catholic Theological Union
    Tue, June 15, 2021, 3:01 PM

A rift between conservative American bishops and the Vatican could be laid bare on June 16 as the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops meets amid talk of a growing divide in the church over Pope Francis’ leadership.

During the virtual event, U.S. bishops are expected to approve a motion to begin drafting a document on “Eucharistic coherence” that would exclude Catholic political figures who support abortion rights from receiving Communion.

If they do proceed, the bishops will have opened a breach with Pope Francis and the Vatican, which has all but instructed the bishops not to go ahead with the motion.

Continued at link. ​

10. TinNM

TinNM Principalities

At the same time, the Vatican refused a Mass which Biden was going to attend.

Update: Vatican Refused June 15 Meeting, Morning Mass No Longer on the Agenda
    The President's entourage had originally requested for President Biden to attend Mass with the Pope early in the morning, but the proposal was nixed by the Vatican

VATICAN CITY — President Joe Biden's attendance at early morning Mass with Pope Francis has been nixed from an early plan of the June 15 meeting of both leaders, a reliable Vatican source told CNA.

President Biden, who is in Europe for several high level meetings, had taken the morning of June 15 off to meet Pope Francis as President of the United States for the first time. The President's entourage had originally requested for Biden to attend Mass with the Pope early in the morning, but the proposal was nixed by the Vatican after considering the impact that President Biden receiving Holy Communion from the Pope would have on the discussions the USCCB is planning to have during their meeting starting Wednesday, June 16. The U.S. bishops are slated to vote on creating a committee that would draft a document about Eucharistic coherence.

More at link: Update: Vatican Refused June 15 Meeting, Morning Mass No Longer on the Agenda| National Catholic Register (ncregister.com)

PurpleFlower and Mary Crowder like this.