The Mother of God.

Discussion in 'Mother of God' started by padraig, Dec 20, 2015.

  1. miker

    miker Powers

    I don't know of any, but do know my wife of 30 years can finish my thoughts before they even come out of my mouth :)
     
    Joe Crozier and garabandal like this.
  2. Blue Horizen

    Blue Horizen Guest

    Strangely I do know the feeling...
    Also my wife has an uncanny way of knowing where I am going and we are constantly crashing into each other around the house or racing each other to the smallest room at exactly the same moment. Often from complete silence I am about to say something new and suddenly she beats me to it. Weird.
     
  3. Blue Horizen

    Blue Horizen Guest

    Joe would you be able to post a pic of OL Untier of Knots?
    I didn't know we had any depictions in NZ.

    If you upload to YouTube then you can link to that from MOG.
     
  4. Joe Crozier

    Joe Crozier Guest

    Its already here on earlier post. Late for work. Will try to find it.
     
  5. Blue Horizen

    Blue Horizen Guest

    Just discovered your Akita statue Joe.
    What is your relationship with the Tapp family may I ask?
     
  6. Joe Crozier

    Joe Crozier Guest

    Our Lady is on 196 Garabandal News
     
  7. Blue Horizen

    Blue Horizen Guest

    What is Our Lady standing upon (not the snake)?

    View attachment 4008
    Its not a trick question.
    This question was asked in the Guest Centre dining room of the Trappist monastery where I recently made a retreat. There was an amazing range of responses from different guests...which just goes to show how our own personal histories and cultures shape even the most simple of observations.

    This statue was brought out to the rural NZ farm monastery by the founding Irish monks who I believe arrived in the first half of last centuary.
     
  8. Joe Crozier

    Joe Crozier Guest

    Hi Blue'
    I think, like Akita, on your beautiful statue OL is standing on the globe.
    The Tapp family gave the wood to their friend Kevin the wood carver for my Akita. Their grandchild Ezra aged 3 was drowned in an accident. Kevin thought it a fitting memorial.
     
  9. maryrose

    maryrose Powers

    Maybe I'm missing something but really, profane language has no place on forum discussing very sacred things even if the arguments aren't up to much. I'm shocked
     
  10. Blue Horizen

    Blue Horizen Guest

    Fitting indeed. I was taught by a Marist priest by the name of Tapp. It an unusual name, was wondering if its the same family.
     
  11. Blue Horizen

    Blue Horizen Guest

    Apologies for offending MR. The word, while a little coarse in origin is simply slang for nonsense. It may not have the same level of offence in NZ as it seems to hold for you in Ireland? "Fanny" is quite shocking when used by Americans here as it actually refers to something more feminine and personal than "bottom". Perhaps a similar thing has occurred here.
    In any case I have edited my original post accordingly.
     
  12. Joe Crozier

    Joe Crozier Guest

    Fitting indeed, the carver said that from the stress lines in the wood it seems both statue and podium came from the same tree. The wood originally formed parts of a bridge in the local gold mines. The symbolism grew as the name of a young parishioner, Amie, drowned at 15 was added to the base. Mary is the bridge to Jesus and Jesus is the bridge to God. Truly a bridge over troubled waters for the children and their families. Aime's family also provided the stain glass window of Our Lady Untier of Knots in her memory.
     
    Blue Horizen likes this.
  13. Joe Crozier

    Joe Crozier Guest

    Blue is a real gentleman. This is obvious from his gracious and immediate apology to you. I, on the other hand, am still a bit hot headed. I come from a farming community of good hard working families and I can assure you, Mary Rose, his language would by no stretch of the imagination be regarded as profane but as you say, it may be out of place in this context. As he explained it's just a way of saying 'nonsense' or 'codswallop'. I hope Our Blessed Mother was not offended and I am sorry you were shocked. The word Blue used also introduces a little humor into the opinion. Remember the humor St Paul put in his comment about circumcision. Just as well I am starting a consecration. Maybe Mary will put me right and give me some of the grace that Blue has.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2016
  14. maryrose

    maryrose Powers

    BH and Joe,
    I'm fine but I wouldn't let my my family members use these words in the presence of my grandchildren. It's probably a cultural thing. Saying that Irish people do use a lot of bad language, it doesn't seem right though when discussing sacred things.
    Apologies accepted
     
  15. Joe Crozier

    Joe Crozier Guest

    I am sorry you took offense. I did not offend you. Your grandchildren are in good hands but it goes without saying that children need more protection and guidance than adults. We know that. I was not going to say it but I will. I think your horse is a little high.
     
  16. maryrose

    maryrose Powers

    Probably and you didn't offend me. I just didn't think it was right. My husband would probably say my horse is a little high also but it wasn't about me.
     
  17. Joe Crozier

    Joe Crozier Guest

    Have it your way MR. These types of exchanges are nothing new. 'Skubalon' is a good example, again used by St Paul. Seemingly nobody approves of its translation as s..t but c..p is seen as most accurate as it indicates a total lack of value. So in the future if we really think someone is talking nonsense we can say "what a load of of skubalon".....but not on this forum. Bet the kids would love that new word.
     
  18. Blue Horizen

    Blue Horizen Guest

    Joe you made me blush - I am in fact just as much a hot-head at heart as your good-self...which may be why I seem to understand you and you me regardless of the surface emotions involved in exchanges here on MOG. I knew you would take the word that shall not be named with just the right balance of seriousness and outrageous humour I intended.

    However, as St Paul says, "while all things may be lawful for me not all are helpful."
    This seems to be one of those occasions.

    BTW I immediately thought Mary above was standing on a globe of the earth - though two other views came fwd as well.
    I am hoping others might be brave enough to venture a guess?

    MAC, Earth calling MAC.....OVER?

    View attachment 4009

    I managed to quickly snap this photo of Mac at Matamata on my way home from the retreat.
    Its known as the home of Hobbiton because its the town closest to Michael Jackson's Hobbiton set from Lord of the Rings.
     
    Joe Crozier likes this.
  19. Joe Crozier

    Joe Crozier Guest

    Hobbiton took 22 milliion last year.
     
  20. Blue Horizen

    Blue Horizen Guest

    That explains why this small country town (Matamata) is really booming Joe.
    It was swarming with tourists when we drove through on Tuesday, really bustling, cafes working overtime, lots of shops open even in the holidays.
    Here's a shot of the local information centre - its been done up to look like a cross between ye olde country store and Bilbo Baggins's hillside home.

    Yes we really do live in Godzone here!
    View attachment 4010
     
    Joe Crozier likes this.

Share This Page