Signs

Discussion in 'The Signs of the Times' started by themilitantcatholic, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Muzhik

Muzhik Powers

I think this is The Law Of Unintended Consequences. Most people use pocket change for small purchases. Think about all the places that got closed down, and then think about all of the vending machines at all of those office breakrooms, all those bowling alleys and so on. People aren't buying stuff on a whim, and all those coins are staying in pants pockets and purses. If you get some change at a store it goes in your pocket.

And that's just the vending machines. So yes, lots of coins have been taken out of circulation as a side effect of the shutdowns.

That doesn't mean that someone isn't thinking about how to take advantage of the situation. Just that it wasn't planned in advance.

Mary's child, josephite and Jo M like this.
  2. Kroger Stops Giving Customers Change As Nationwide Coin Shortage Worsens

Due to an ongoing, and in some respect, a worsening nationwide coin shortage, The Kroger Company has stopped returning coins to cash-paying customers. At the same time, remainders can be donated to a charity or transferred to the customers' loyalty cards, reported NewsChannel 5 Nashville WTVF.

Kroger officials said, "at Kroger, we are implementing several creative solutions to minimize the impact to our customers...We know this is an inconvenience for our customers, and we appreciate their patience. The Treasury Department expects the shortage to diminish as more regions of the country reopen."

Last month, the Federal Reserve warned coin disruptions were coming due to the COVID-19 pandemic and shutdown of the economy.

Here's an excerpt of the warning:

"The COVID-19 pandemic has significantly disrupted the supply chain and normal circulation patterns for U.S. coin.

"In the past few months, coin deposits from depository institutions to the Federal Reserve have declined significantly, and the U.S. Mint's production of the coin also decreased due to measures put in place to protect its employees."

In late June, supermarket chain Meijer Inc. told customers at 250 stores that "self-checkout registers" will only accept "electronic payment only" due to a "national coin shortage."

MORE:

https://www.zerohedge.com/economics...omers-change-nationwide-coin-shortage-worsens

Sam and Jackie like this.
  3. Jackie

Jackie Archangels

Catherine, I watched this YouTube today, Protestant pastor Dana Coverstone speaks of what he was shown for this fall, especially the month of November. Lines up with Fr. Michel. Pastor Dana saw last December what took place in March. I felt fear concerning November. Strengthen everyone’s faith dear Lord.

earthtoangels likes this.
  4. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

The banks are on lockdown since the quarantine in March. You can bank with a teller at the drive through, but they don't accept coins. My husband spent a good part of the winter rolling coins and now he can't take them to the bank. It is also true that cash is becoming suspect due to covid. It's probably all part of the big picture, Katfalls, about creating a cashless society.
    My husband paid cash for everything and he threw all of his change in big gallon containers. He did this for years, and I begged him to roll the coins. LOL
    I haven't seen any signs in the store to exchange coins, BTW, although that might be an idea.
    Well, he finally retired and he has PLENTY of coins rolled from last winter. Joke's on him because he can't take them to the bank. LOL

Beth B, Mary's child, Sam and 2 others like this.
  5. Joan J

Joan J HolySpiritCome!

I just asked at my credit union. They only know, if what they order from their confidential source, they receive a fraction of the coin rolls. :coffee:o_O

HeavenlyHosts, Sam and Jo M like this.
  6. Jo M

Jo M Powers

:ROFLMAO:

Just another COVID inconvenience to deal with.

7. Jo M

Jo M Powers

A Walgreens cashier told me the had store ordered $350 in coins from the bank, and they only received $16. I usually pay cash for my smaller purchases, so now I make sure to keep a few coins in my purse for exact change.

HeavenlyHosts likes this.
  8. Joan J

Joan J HolySpiritCome!

Wow!!!
    We know the Church is going through a Passion.

9. Joan J

Joan J HolySpiritCome!

Ya know, I still have my Rice Bowl for CRS from Lent. I wonder if I should remove all the quarters for myself & give the rest to a beggar on the corner.
    I had heard questionable things about CRS in their distribution of such donations. Therefore I have held onto it.

Jo M and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  10. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Yes, CRS is questionable. I don’t support them any more.

Jo M likes this.
  11. Joan J

Joan J HolySpiritCome!

Very disappointing
    I've looked for information to substantiate that & haven't found any.

12. Muzhik

Muzhik Powers

Call your bank. My bank sent me an email last night saying they'll pay you 10% for every set of coins over $5. IOW, you give them $50 in coins and they'll give you $55. That might become a thing.

Heidi, Mary's child, Sam and 2 others like this.
  13. Pray4peace

Pray4peace Ave Maria

Ditto. Years ago, there were reports of CRS supporting birth control in Africa. There was also an issue with many of the CRS executives not even being Catholic. I remember discussing this on MOG many years back.

Fortunately, there are still many other choices of good Catholic charities with which to donate.

HeavenlyHosts and Sam like this.
  14. Pray4peace

Pray4peace Ave Maria

So what do y’all think is advisable regarding coins? Take them to Coinstar and get whatever money possible before they’re obsolete? Hang onto them? Or maybe just use them whenever possible to increase circulation? :coffee:

15. Muzhik

Muzhik Powers

I hope he took the time to check for rare coins before rolling them. There are a few videos on YouTube of coin collectors who get boxes of coins from the bank and go through them, showing what special (rare and valuable) coins they find.

HeavenlyHosts likes this.
  16. Donna259

Donna259 Powers

I just got an email to not support CRS anymore

17. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

He did. Apparently that is what took him so long to finally sit fiw
    we can do this thanks

18. Donna259

Donna259 Powers

19. Muzhik

Muzhik Powers

Taking them to Coinstar is going to increase the circulation. Don't know what their business model is, but they've got to make money returning the coins to banks or whatever. I'd take them to Coinstar because IF ... hyperinflation occurs then the quarter won't be worth a penny.

Beth B and Pray4peace like this.
  20. AED

AED Powers

Please be careful about protestant "prophets" especially those who engender fear.