There is a fuller version of this story at: http://www.olrl.org/stories/wizclip.shtml (which I posted a couple of weeks ago!)
wow pradraig...I'm speechless, as I know you would not post something like this lightly. Of course my dad was a great person, and growing up my dad taught us in a strict catholic way. In fact, when my siblings lived with their significant others, he completely gave them the silent treatment until they moved out or got married. that left an impression on all of us. but as he got older he really got lukewarm in his faith and liberal in his views. for example, he was pro-choice and always thought I was trying to impose my beliefs on others because I voted on the life issue. but much of his lukewarmness I believe was stemmed from the abuse scandel which really did a number on his faith. His suffering at the end though I believe was a very glorious moment for him. For several weeks in the hospital he always spoke of the goblins visiting him at night when his fevers spiked, which I take very literally. My instinct is telling me he suffered extra long for his children who have lost the faith. the doctors called the family in a few times thinking it was time...but he kept living and carrying that cross. I was in awe of him by the end of it. he has had lots of prayers...members of this forum, myself, my mother, and a surprising number of perpetual prayer cards and masses from my friends. so that goes a long way of course. I was hoping to get a sign when he made it. I got a very small sign after I said an Our Father for him at adoration about 3 weeks ago. I took that to mean he got to a higher level of purgatory. I will still offer my divine mercy sunday indulence for him just to be sure. please pray that I get a big sign when it happens. Padraig - I hope what you posted is true!