Pope Francis covered up McCarrick abuse, former US nuncio testifies

Discussion in 'Church Critique' started by Frodo, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Jarg

Jarg Archangels

Another clarification note from Viganò for those spreading lies about his testimony. He gives so many leads to test whether his info is truthful that it is really impossible to believe he can be lying.

EXCLUSIVE: Viganò reveals what really happened when Pope Francis met privately with Kim Davis

ROME, August 31, 2018 (LifeSiteNews) – Less than a week after publishing his extraordinary 11-page testimony implicating Pope Francis and several senior prelates in a cover-up of Archbishop Theodore McCarrick’s sexual abuse of priests and seminarians, Archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò has now decided to reveal, for the first time, the details surrounding Pope Francis’ meeting with Kim Davis during his visit to the United States in 2015.

In a written statement, dated August 30, 2018 (see the Italian and English texts below), Archbishop Viganò, who served as papal nuncio to the United States from 2011-2016, says he was prompted to speak out after reading an August 28, 2018 New York Times article, in which Juan Carlos Cruz, a Chilean sexual abuse victim, says the Pope “recently told him Archbishop Viganò nearly sabotaged the visit by inviting the critic, Kim Davis, a Kentucky county clerk who became a conservative cause célèbre when she refused to grant marriage licenses to same-sex couples.”

Davis was jailed for five days for defying a court order to grant marriage licenses, on the grounds that she had personal religious objections to same-sex “marriage.”

According to the New York Times report, the Pope allegedly told Cruz: “I didn’t know who that woman was, and [Archbishop Viganò] snuck her in to say hello to me — and of course they made a whole publicity out of it.”

“I was horrified and I fired that nuncio,” Cruz recalled the Pope saying.

In the introduction to his three-page statement, Archbishop Viganò writes: “Faced with the Pope’s reported statement, I feel obliged to recount the events as they really unfolded.”

Here below is the official English text of Archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò’s statement on Pope Francis private meeting with Kim Davis and what really happened. The English text may also be accessed in pdf form here, while a pdf of the Italian original may be read here. Emphasis not added.

Pope Francis met privately with Kim Davis: here is what really happened
    by
    His Excellency Carlo Maria Viganò
    Titular Archbishop of di Ulpiana
    Apostolic Nuncio

On August 28, 2018, the New York Times reported part of a conversation that Juan Carlos Cruz, the most well known Chilean sexual abuse victim of Father Karadima and Bishop Barros, allegedly had with Pope Francis. Inexplicably, in his conversation with Cruz, the Pope is said to have spoken about his meeting with Kim Davis during his visit to Washington on September 24, 2015, and to have said that he knew nothing about the case before the meeting.

Faced with the Pope’s reported statement, I feel obliged to recount the events as they really unfolded.

At the end of the dinner, at the Nunciature in Washington, on the evening of September 23, 2015, I told the Pope that I needed him to grant me a half hour, because I wished to bring to his attention, and possible approval, a delicate and easily achievable initiative; that is, to meet personally and in a completely confidential way, out of the media spotlight, with Kim Davis, a clerk in Rowan County, Kentucky, the first American citizen condemned and imprisoned for one week for having exercised her right to conscientious objection.

At the beginning of our meeting, on the evening of September 23, I gave the Pope a one-page memo summarizing the Davis case (here attached in Italian and English). The Pope immediately appeared in favor of such an initiative, but added that the meeting would have political implications, and said, “I don’t understand these things, so it would be good for you to hear Cardinal Parolin’s opinion.”

It was already 9:30 in the evening, so I went in person with two of the counselors of the Nunciature (an Italian and a Lithuanian) to the hotel not far away, where the Pope’s entourage was being hosted. Since I had called ahead to give advance notice of my arrival, His Excellency Archbishop Angelo Becciu (Substitute of the Secretary of State) and His Excellency Archbishop Paul Gallagher (Secretary for Relations with States, and Head of the Political Section of the Secretariat of State) were waiting for me in the hotel lobby. They immediately notified me that Cardinal Parolin had already retired to his room, and they did not consider it appropriate to disturb him, since they could easily make him aware of our meeting the following morning.

We then met in a small lounge of the hotel. As I said, there were five of us. I gave them the same memo that I had given to the Pope, setting forth its content and explaining the reason for my visit, which had been requested by the Pope. After considering the case, Archbishop Becciu was immediately in favor of the Pope receiving Davis privately before he left Washington for New York.

Archbishop Gallagher, while showing support for the idea given the importance of defending the right to conscientious objection, said that it was appropriate to verify from the point of view of common law whether there were any reasons that would render the meeting inadvisable; namely, whether the legal proceedings brought against Davis were concluded or were still open. I therefore had him speak by telephone with the canonist for the Nunciature, who before becoming a priest had been a judge in the American military courts and a professor of canon law. After the conversation with the canonist to clarify matters — he said there were no procedural obstacles — Bishop Gallagher gave an unconditionally favorable opinion that the Pope should receive Davis.

The following morning, after the Mass that the Pope concelebrated with us in the Nunciature, I informed the Pope of the positive opinion of his two principal collaborators, who had then told Cardinal Parolin about our meeting. The Pope then gave his consent, and I organized to have Davis come to the Nunciature without anyone noticing, by having her sit in a separate room. Everything was made much easier by the fact that Davis was already in Washington, where she was invited to receive a Cost of Discipleship Award from the Family Research Council.

Before the meeting took place, I alerted the photographer from L’Osservatore Romano that he should not release the photographs of the meeting without the permission of his superiors. He of course observed the orders, but took many photographs, which have never been published, and are currently kept in the photographic archive of L’Osservatore Romano. I also had Davis promise me in advance that she would not give any news to the media until after the Pope’s return to Rome, at the end of his pastoral visit to the USA. Davis faithfully kept her promise.

Early in the afternoon of September 24, before leaving for New York City, the Pope entered as planned into the sitting room where Davis and her husband were waiting for him. He embraced her affectionately, thanked her for her courage, and invited her to persevere. Davis was very moved and started crying. She was then taken back to her hotel in a car driven by a pontifical gendarme, accompanied by an American Monsignor and staff member of the Nunciature.

(continues below)

Roger Buck likes this.
  2. Jarg

Jarg Archangels

Once the Pope returned to Rome from Philadelphia after the World Meeting with the Families, the news of his meeting with Davis broke out in the media. An avalanche of phone calls, faxes and emails arrived at the Nunciature in Washington and the Vatican Press Office, many with insults and protests, but also many in favor of the Pope’s meeting with Davis. In an article of September 30, 2015, the New York Timesreported that “Vatican officials initially would not confirm that the meeting occurred, finally doing so on Wednesday afternoon, while refusing to discuss any details.” The Vatican Press Office then issued a statement — without their superiors in the Secretariat of State ever consulting me — stating that the Pope had never received Davis in a private audience, and that at most he may have greeted her among many other people before departing for New York. Father Rosica and Father Lombardi increased added to the lies, and were quoted as follows in the October 2, 2015 editionof the New York Times: “But the Rev. Thomas Rosica, a Vatican spokesman, said on Friday that the office of Archbishop Viganò had extended the invitation to Ms. Davis and that the Pope was probably not briefed about her case. And the Rev. Federico Lombardi, the chief Vatican spokesman, depicted the meeting as one meet-and-greet among many.” This is the transparency of the Holy See under Pope Francis!

The next morning, at about 6:00 a.m. in Washington — I remember it well because I had just entered the chapel at the Nunciature — I received a frantic telephone call from Cardinal Parolin, who told me “You must come immediately to Rome because the Pope is furious with you!” I left as soon as possible and was received by the Pope at the Domus Sanctae Marthae, around 7 o’clock in the evening on October 9, at the conclusion of one of the afternoon sessions of the Second Synod on the Family.

The Pope received me for almost an hour, and was very affectionate and paternal. He immediately apologized to me for troubling me with coming to Rome, and he lavished continuous praise on me for the way I had organized his visit to the USA, and for the incredible reception he received in America. He never expected such a welcome.

To my great surprise, during this long meeting, the Pope did not mention even once the audience with Davis!

As soon as my audience with the Pope was over, I immediately phoned Cardinal Parolin, and said to him, “The Pope was so good with me. Not a word of reproach, only praise for the success of his visit to the USA.” At which point Cardinal Parolin replied, “It’s not possible, because with me he was furious about you.”

This is a summary of the events.

As mentioned at the beginning, on August 28, 2018, the New York Times reported an interview with Juan Carlos Cruz, in which Cruz reported that during his meeting with the Pope, in April 2018, the Pope told him about the Davis case. According to Cruz, the Pope said: “I did not know who the woman was and he [Msgr. Viganò] snuck her in to say hello to me — and of course they made a whole publicity out of it. And I was horrified and I fired that Nuncio.”

One of them is lying: either Cruz or the Pope? What is certain is that the Pope knew very well who Davis was, and he and his close collaborators had approved the private audience. Journalists can always check, by asking the prelates Becciu, Gallagher and Parolin, as well as the Pope himself.

It is clear, however, that Pope Francis wanted to conceal the private audience with the first American citizen condemned and imprisoned for conscientious objection.

+ Carlo Maria Viganò
    Titular Archbishop di Ulpiana
    Apostolic Nuncio
    August 30, 2018
    Feast of Saint Jeanne Jugan and Blessed Alfredo Ildefonso Schuster

Official translation by Diane Montagna

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/e...really-happened-when-pope-francis-met-private

3. Mario

Mario Powers

Any name,

I believe MMM's "3rd secret" was given in jest!:)

Safe in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary!

MMM and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  4. SgCatholic

SgCatholic Maranatha

But Mario, I believe any name you wish was also replying in jest ;)

DeGaulle, Mario, AED and 1 other person like this.
  5. fallen saint

fallen saint Baby steps :)

Great Priest but I also consider him a moderate. He is also very popular throughout the United States. For him to say those things means he is willing to chose sides. That is positive.

May God Bless Bishop Barron

Carol55 and AED like this.
  6. SteveD

SteveD Archangels

Don't believe that anything is true until Francis either denies it or refuses to give an answer, then you can be sure. Honesty is the only luxury that the hierarchy seems happy to forego.

7. padraig

padraig New Member

Well bless Bishop Barron for this, bless him. It's certainly a sign of the times when he comes right out with this. I never would have thought.
    Quite remarkable. May God bless and reward him.

I would say for people like Bishop Barron all this is a million times worse than for the rest of us. We had our supicions, but I suspect the poor Bishop was entirely unaware. It must be a huge Cross for him and others. I hope it drives him on to deeper thought about all this.

He has a fine mind.

8. Blizzard

Blizzard thy kingdom come

Our Holy Mother sounds very stern in the latest alleged Zaro messages which have just been translated:

I saw Mother, she was all dressed in white: on her head was a delicate white veil, on her shoulders a blue mantle, on her chest a heart of flesh crowned with thorns.
    Mother had her arms open in a sign of welcome and in her right hand a Holy Rosary made of light.

May Jesus Christ be praised

"My dear children, I come to you to bring you peace and love, I come to you to show you the way that leads to the Lord, I come to take you by the hand along the tortuous path that leads to the Lord.

My children, I love you and once again I ask you for prayer, prayer for my beloved Church, prayer for my favored sons; with their behavior they pierce my heart and crucify my Jesus again.

My children, pray, unfortunately few are those sons of mine who truly believe and honor vows taken.
    My beloved children, pray that the Lord would send good shepherds to feed his flock.

My children, too often the body of my Son is insulted, trampled, desecrated, is continually dishonoured. My children, pray in reparation for the outrages and sacrileges that are being committed.

My ears are torn and my heart is continually pierced by constant screams and cries; pray for this ever more corrupt world, ever more perverse, which crushes the poor and the weak, who insult the good and points the finger at it as stupid, which hates those who love and those who do good.
    My beloved children, do not be ashamed of doing good, do not be bitter in comforting the weak and helping the poor, but be proud of it because everything you do to the least of your brothers you do to my beloved Jesus.
    My children pray and make [others] pray, teach how to pray.

My children, in the end my Immaculate Heart will triumph (and in saying this the crown of thorns disappeared from the heart on Mother's chest and her heart began to radiate many rays on many of those present).

May graces, love and blessing descend on you, my children and on your loved ones and on all those you carry in your heart.
    Now I give you my holy blessing.
    Thank you for having hastened to me.

http://afterthewarning.com/messages...8/08/08-26-message-of-our-lady-to-simona.aspx

HeavenlyHosts likes this.
  9. Blizzard

Good piece by Chris Ferrara on the Vigano letter.

Below are the link and an important excerpt on the connection between the Vigano letter and the alleged suppression of the Third Secret:

It is no coincidence that, as I detail in my book on the Third Secret of Fatima, Sodano and Bertone have also taken the leading role in suppressing the integral Secret and reducing the Message of Fatima in general to a generic prescription for personal piety, stripped of its prophetic and admonitory content regarding the epochal malfeasance and corruption of the upper hierarchy to which they belong. Concerning my book, Archbishop Pietro Sambi, Viganò’s predecessor as Nuncio in Washington, whom Viganò’ credits with diligently reporting McCarrick’s crimes to the Vatican and conveying Benedict’s sanctions to McCarrick, made some very revealing comments during an interview with Robert Moynihan, published posthumously six years ago in Inside the Vatican:

We were discussing the Third Secret of Fatima, the allegations that the Vatican has not published the entire text of the Third Secret as revealed to Sister Lucia, and the response of Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, the Vatican secretary of state, in a book where Bertone states that there is nothing more to be revealed. Sambi said, “Excuse me.” He got up, went out of the room, and came back with a book. “Here,” he said. “Do you know this book? You should read it.” It was Christopher Ferrara's The Secret Still Hidden.

“Wait,” I said. “You are the Pope’s representative in the US, and you are urging me to read a book that questions what the secretary of state wrote?” Sambi replied, “All I am saying is that there are interesting things worth reading in this book. And in the end, we are all after the truth, aren’t we? The truth is the important thing...”

The truth is indeed the important thing. And the truth about our situation is revealed in that still-hidden part of the Secret to whose contents Pope Benedict alluded during his pilgrimage to Fatima in 2010, identifying elements that do not appear at all in the obscure vision published back in 2000, which Sodano and Bertone tried to pass of as the entirety of the Secret at the same time they were covering up homosexual corruption in high places:

As for the new things which we can find in this message today, there is also the fact that attacks on the Pope and the Church come not only from without, but the sufferings of the Church come precisely from within the Church, from the sin existing within the Church. This too is something that we have always known, but today we are seeing it in a really terrifying way: that the greatest persecution of the Church comes not from her enemies without, but arises from sin within the Church, and that the Church thus has a deep need to relearn penance, to accept purification, to learn forgiveness on the one hand, but also the need for justice. [emphasis added]

I believe that Archbishop Viganò’s precious testimony is a sign that Heaven itself is now responding to the “need for justice” in the Church. Whether or not justice involves the resignation of the most wayward Pope in Church history, the inevitable season of justice will culminate in the triumph of the Immaculate Heart of Mary and the Church’s restoration. This will be a final victory over the enemies within and their apologists, such as Faggioli, who, in typical neo-Catholic style, imperiously scoffs at the notion of “a young clergy marked by personal sanctity but also by a fascination for a mythical Middle Ages” and busies himself defending an unsalvageable mass of corruption he dares to describe as “a Church-world relationship based on a principle of reality.”

https://remnantnewspaper.com/web/in...hbishop-vigano-speaks-the-neo-catholics-panic

10. Mario

Mario Powers

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

One who can't laugh at himself takes life too seriously!

Safe in the Refuge of the Immaculate Heart!

DeGaulle and SgCatholic like this.
  11. Mmary

Mmary Guest

This book is available for free as a pdf when you click on the link in Blizzard's post!

12. Blizzard

13. fallen saint

fallen saint Baby steps :)

wow :(

14. lynnfiat

lynnfiat Fiat Voluntas Tua

From "In Sinu Jesu" - message given in 2010:

"the attack on My priesthood that appears to be spreading and growing is in fact in its final stages. It is a satanic and diabolical onslaught against My Bride the Church, an attempt to destroy her by attacking the most wounded of her ministers in their carnal weaknesses; but I will undo the destruction they have wrought and I will cause My priests and My Spouse the Church to recover a glorious holiness."

Heidi, DeGaulle, SgCatholic and 3 others like this.
  15. padraig

padraig New Member

josephite likes this.
  16. SgCatholic

SgCatholic Maranatha

Please watch this everybody.

josephite likes this.
  17. padraig

padraig New Member

There is one thing about the McCarrick/ Vigano thing which is interesting and that is the silence of Pope Benedict and others. If Francis in innocent it would be the easiest thing in the world for him to speak out in Pope Francis's defence. In fact it would be almost his duty to do so. But he stays silence. The only inference is , that since Benedict is and honest and holy man of God he cannot do so for fear of telling lies.

Also the silence of the rest of the Vatican Curia. The are as silent as the grace. It is not like them. Their silence to me tells a million words.

Byron, Tanker, josephite and 2 others like this.
  18. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Cardinal Wuerl was heckled at Mass yesterday. He was speaking from the pulpit and a man shouted "shame on you" and stalked out of church. A woman turned her back on the Cardinal.
    The Cardinal has apologized for his failings but he said that the Pope was being attacked. So far, no real action at all.

19. padraig

padraig New Member

I wouldn't have the courage to shout out in Church. I am easily embarrased. I would assume that Carinal Wuerl , after his trips to Rome has been assured of the full support of Pope Francis, no matter what.

There are some wonderful signs of Spring and grace in this Long Winter however, such as these wonderful priests in Long Island, bless them:

(Inotice they do this under the PAtronage of the Arcangels)

https://aleteia.org/2018/09/01/priests-on-long-island-undertake-25-day-communal-penance-of-fasting/

Priests on Long Island undertake 25-day “communal penance of fasting”

As the darkness of evil and corruption continues to cast its shadow on the Catholic Church today, one group of priests belonging to an ancient religious order is determined to help counter it with healing light.

The Canons Regular of St. Augustine, who have the care of the parishes of St. Patrick and the Church of St. Rocco in the Diocese of Rockville Centre, recently distributed an inspiring letter to their parishes announcing a 25-day “communal penance.”
    “As a response to the horrific revelations not only of the abuse of children, but also of seminarians and priests by priests, bishops and cardinals which have surfaced,” the letter begins, “we Canons have decided to undertake a communal penance of fasting and abstinence in reparation for these sins of others. From 4 September until the Anticipatory Mass of 29 September (the Feast of the Holy Archangels), we will take only water and a modest vegetarian diet.”

Read more:
    Sex abuse scandal in the Church: How parishes are responding
    The letter, titled “An Act of Reparation,” invites parishioners to join “in this or any other act of reparation” in response to the evils perpetrated by priests and “the horror of the sinfulness of the bishops,” which “reveals unambiguously the reality of evil in our world and in our Church.”

The four Canons, who took over the care of the Long Island parishes in 2011, also included a three-page explanation of the reasons for and the meaning of reparation.

After a rallying cry to “speak truthfully” about the Church’s sexual teachings and a biblical excursus into the fall of King David in the 11th and 12th chapters of 2 Samuel, the letter explores the importance of penance in combating evil:

By voluntarily offering acts of penance—our spiritual worship in union with Christ—we are empowered to fight our powerlessness by our decision to do something, no matter how small it may seem by comparison to the evil we are fighting. How small was Frodo compared to mighty Sauron! How small is the mustard seed that grows into the tree where birds nest and give life (Mt. 13:31-32)! Shall we not have faith of a mustard seed that can move mountains (Mt. 17:20)? Yes, little acts of self-denial do not make up for the evil wrought and pain endured, but they restore and heal through trust that the good God “will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there shall be no more death or mourning, wailing or pain, [for] the old order has passed away (Rv. 21:4).” The old order must pass away, and we can help!…

With the help of the Archangels, we will carry out this reparation. Freely renouncing the pleasure of good food and drink, we live on God’s strength (St. Gabriel, “power of God”), to more and more reveal our image and likeness to God (St. Michael, “who is like God?”) so that this reparation will bring God’s healing (St. Raphael, “the remedy of God”) to the suffering Mystical Body of Christ—to all the victims of the abuse of the clergy in specific cases as well as the general harm inflicted upon the whole Church.

[​IMG]
    Read more:
    What is reparation? And why is it my best response to evil?
    Shortly after the conclusion of the penance, the parishes are launching a previously planned commemoration of their Adoration Chapel’s 20th anniversary, which includes a 40 Hours devotion of thanksgiving, a rededication of the Chapel, and the communal effort to return to 24-7 Perpetual Adoration.

20. DeGaulle

DeGaulle Powers

If Bishop Barron has taken this angle, it's a fair sign of where the wind's blowing.