Discussion in 'Church Critique' started by Frodo, Aug 26, 2018.
Our understanding grows as we are tried in the furnace by God
More Bishops requesting full investigation. Waiting for my Bishop, Cardinal Dolan, to make his.
Statement from Bishop Thomas Olmsted Regarding Archbishop Viganò’s Recent Testimony
PHOENIX (Aug. 27, 2018) — The Roman Catholic Diocese of Phoenix has released the following statement today from the Most Rev. Thomas J. Olmsted, Bishop of Phoenix:
“I have known Archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò for 39 years. We became colleagues in the Secretariat of State of the Holy See in August 1979, where he had been serving prior to my entrance into this work in service to the ministry of Pope John Paul II.
Although I have no knowledge of the information that he reveals in his written testimony of August 22, 2018, so I cannot personally verify its truthfulness, I have always known and respected him as a man of truthfulness, faith and integrity. St. Paul says of priests: “This is how one should regard us, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. Now it is required of stewards that they be found trustworthy” (1 Cor 4:1-2). That is how I have consistently found Archbishop Viganò.
For this reason, I ask that Archbishop Viganò’s testimony be taken seriously by all, and that every claim that he makes be investigated thoroughly. Many innocent people have been seriously harmed by clerics like Archbishop McCarrick; whoever has covered up these shameful acts must be brought to the light of day.”
+Thomas J. Olmsted
Bishop of Phoenix
Let us know when Cardinal Dolan makes his statement
Yay!! Love, love , love this bishop. He is the bishop of Phoenix which is our neighboring diocese. I have seen such a transformation to this diocese since he took over. He is disliked immensely by the more left leaning Catholics.
I had a strange conversation recently with an acquaintance . She was lamenting how she really did not like Bishop Olmsted as when he took over, he got rid of all the homosexual priests in the diocese and implemented more orthodox rituals throughout the diocese. It was "mean" of him and he shouldn't be judging whether gay priests can be priests. My question to her was "how did you know these priests he removed were homosexual. She replied, everybody knows my response.....He's doing his job protecting his flock. Hard to believe with all this coming out how someone can still think like that.
More bishops need to speak up. The sheep from the goats kind of thing
When hell freezes over ....LOL.
I too have been hoping that our Arch Bishop Sartain will throw his support behind Vigano and not sit it out. He has shown his support for the Bishops being held accountable involved with the covering up of abuse due to the PA Grand Jury report.
I have been told that he is a good Bishop by men I trust in our parish including our Priest and Deacon. He performed the welcoming ceremony for my family to the Church.
I will continue to pray for him.
I just heard on EWTN that Pope Benedict does not remember telling Arcbishop V about sanctioning CMc. Sounds like he is recanting.
National Review Board calls for lay investigation of all misconduct claims
Washington D.C. – The body charged with advising the U.S. bishops on sexual abuse prevention has called for an independent lay-led investigation into all allegations of sexual misconduct in the church and for revisions of the Dallas Charter.
The National Review Board, which is constituted by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, issued the call in a sternly worded statement August 28, in which it condemned a “culture of silence” in the church hierarchy.
In a press release circulated by the U.S. bishops’ conference, the board, which is entirely composed of lay experts from different fields, said that they have been raising concerns about episcopal complacency “for several years” and called for specific reforms.
“The revelations of horrific incidents of abuse in the Pennsylvania Grand Jury Report, along with the abuse perpetrated by Archbishop McCarrick point to a systemic problem within the Church that can no longer be ignored or tolerated by the episcopacy in the United States,” the statement read.
The board was constituted in June 2002 as part of the U.S. bishops’ response to the wave of clerical sexual abuse scandals which were revealed in the Boston Globe. The 13-member panel makes its recommendations to the USCCB’s Committee for the Protection of Children and Young People.
The board noted that, in the wake of the sexual abuse scandals of the early 2000s, new policies and procedures had been put in place — including the creation of the NRB itself. The board said these resulted in a “significant decrease” of incidents of abuse, but that clearly underlying problems remain unaddressed.
“The National Review Board has for several years expressed its concern that bishops not become complacent in their response to sexual abuse by the clergy. The recent revelations make it clear that the problem is much deeper. We are saddened, angry, and hurt by what we have learned in the past few weeks.”
The statement said that “the evil of crimes that have been perpetuated” reach the “highest levels of the hierarchy,” and cannot be simply addressed with procedural and structural changes. The board called for a “genuine change in the Church’s culture,” and singled out the bishops as particularly in need of change, noting that it was not just minors who were the victims of abuse.
“This evil has resulted from a loss of moral leadership and an abuse of power that led to a culture of silence that enabled these incidents to occur. Intimidation, fear, and the misuse of authority created an environment that was taken advantage of by clerics, including bishops, causing harm to minors, seminarians, and those most vulnerable.”
A central critique of the church hierarchy was a “culture of silence” which, the NRB said, led to abuse running “virtually unchecked.” The need to hold bishops accountable required, according to the statement, an “independent review into the actions of a bishop” following any allegation, and this could only be ensured by entrusting it to laity.
“The NRB, composed exclusively of lay members, would be the logical group to be involved in this task,” the statement said.
The board recommended the creation of an anonymous whistleblower policy, mirroring some corporate and public-sector structures, which would provide a clear, lay-led mechanism for reporting an allegation to the competent bishop, Vatican authorities, and civil law enforcement.
Existing policies should also be revised, the board said, including the Dallas Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People. While calling the document “helpful,” the NRB said it was a “living document” that needed continual revision in the light of experience — most notably its “deliberate ambiguity and its lack of inclusion of bishops.”
Currently, there is no clear USCCB mechanism or policy for handling abuse beyond a document called the Episcopal Commitment, which the bishops have agreed to abide by — though this document has no binding force.
The board’s recommendations called this document “ineffective” and said there need to be “concrete steps” for fraternal correction when a bishop is accused of either abuse or failure to respond to an accusation. At the same time, it said, there needs to be clear formation of new bishops on their responsibility as “moral leaders” in responding to accusations, saying that such leadership is currently lacking.
“We recognize that the overwhelming majority of our current bishops have, and continue to, take the sexual abuse of minors seriously and who act accordingly by adhering to the Charter, some even going beyond these basic requirements. However, every time one bishop fails to act, the entire episcopate is tainted.”
The statement ended by saying the National Review Board would consider making further recommendations in the coming weeks, and would continue to work with the USCCB.
“It is time for the laity to assume courageous leadership to help the Church respond and to heal and for the bishops to listen carefully to our recommendations.”
Voris is late to the party - but hey welcome aboard!
But, yes, he does owe the remnant folks an apology.
Come to think of it, he may owe more people an apology.
We are all in this fight together. No personal territory to protect or justify at this time. It is a distraction and a division.. Just glad he is on board now. He is a powerful voice.
I was just listening to the local news about the fact that Cdl. Wuerl did not attend the opening Mass for Catholic schools. After that, it was mentioned that Pope Benedict sanctioned McCarrick, but that a current spokesperson for Pope Emeritus Benedict said that there is no further comment now.
This is completely different from recanting, I think. I did not hear the ewtn report that you heard. Hmmm.
The Remnant folks owe Michael Voris an apology for the cheesy, UnCatholic, un Christian way they trashed him.
The author trashed Voris personally, which is unprofessional journalism, imho.
I thought I should bite my tongue, but since this defense of Voris persists, in charity it needs to be said that the Remnant did NOT start these attacks, Voris did. He does great work, but historically he has been a sanctimonious ass towards those who caught on to this pope’s heresies before he did. At one time I was a moderator on the CM forum, but resigned in protest over their repeated arrogant and sanctimonious behavior. Please refrain from making sweeping comments when you don’t know the history that provoked this article.
Benedict’s Spokesman: Ex-Pope Has Not Commented On Vigano
August 29, 2018 by sd
From Die Tagepost:
Archbishop Georg Gänswein, private secretary of Benedict XVI, has rejected the claim that the emeritus Pope has confirmed the allegations of former Vatican diplomat Carlo Viganò. “Pope Benedict has not commented on the ‘memorandum’ of Archbishop Viganò and will not do so,” Gänswein told the newspaper. The claim that the emeritus Pope had confirmed the statements lacked any foundation. “Fake news!” says Gänswein.
The archbishop refers to a New York Times report citing a board member of the American news channel “EWTN,” Timothy Bush. According to him, the emeritus Pope confirmed the allegations made in Viganò’s letter. Archbishop Viganò claims that both Pope Francis and other high-ranking Vatican officials have known since 2013 about allegations of abuse against former US Cardinal Theodore McCarrick. Even a former nunciature consultant confirmed the allegations.
For the kingdom of heaven of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire workers for his vineyard. 2 And after agreeing with the workers for the standard wage, he sent them into his vineyard. 3 When it was about nine o’clock in the morning, he went out again and saw others standing around in the market place without work. 4 And he said to them, “You go into the vineyard too and I will give you whatever is right.” 5 So they went. When he went out again about noon and three o’clock that afternoon, he did the same thing. 6 And about five o’clock that afternoon he went out and found others standing around, and he said to them, “Why are you standing here all day without work?” 7 They said to him, “Because no one has hired us.” He said to them, “You go and work in the vineyard too.”
8 When it was evening, the owner of the vineyard said to his manager, “Call the workers and give the pay starting with the last hired until the first.” 9 When those hired about five o’clock came, each received a full day’s pay. 10 And when those hired first came, they though they would receive more. But each one also received the standard wage. 11 When they received it, they began to complain against the landowner, 12 saying, “These last fellows worked one hour, and you have made them equal to us who bore the hardship and burning heat of the day.
I would suspect any report of recanting. I don’t think BXVI is free to speak about anything and Archbishop Vigano does not have the reputation of being a liar. He took an oath before God (!!!!!) that he was speaking truth.
I don't think you have a right to tell me to refrain from posting my opinion about this Larry Flynt label, Brian. But I will take what else that you said into consideration. The point remains that as Catholics, no matter what has happened, and we all fall short, and we all sin, we should avoid making personal attacks, and avoid LABELING one another. We are going to be held accountable for our actions.
It's the labelling that got to me. Remnant or no remnant, Voris or no Voris, sanctimonious ass label or not.
I say we move on on this Voris-remnant feud.
Maybe they owe each other an apology but if that doesn´t come... move on.
Welcome to the party Voris! The more the merrier!
As Padre Pio once said: "Can´t you see the fire?"
Roast the marshmallows!
Separate names with a comma.