Origins of the Catholic Canon

Discussion in 'Scriptural Thoughts' started by Muzhik, Jan 30, 2018.

1. kristian

kristian New Member

Thank you for your prayers. As you can see I am guilty of "humanism" and its a struggle.

2. Mary's child

Mary's child Powers

Faith is the complete trust. Catholics have complete trust in God's words and works. That is faith.

Light likes this.
  3. Booklady

Booklady La Dolorosa

According to the New Advent Catholic Encyclopedia...under subject, BIBLE...

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02543a.htm

The Bible not only contains the word of God; it is the word of God. The primary author is the Holy Ghost, or, as it is commonly expressed, the human authors wrote under the influence of Divine inspiration. It was declared by the Vatican Council (Sess. III, c. ii) that the sacred and canonical character of Scripture would not be sufficiently explained by saying that the books were composed by human diligence and then approved by the Church, or that they contained revelation without error. They are sacred and canonical "because, having been written by inspiration of the Holy Ghost, that have God for their author, and as such have been handed down to the Church". The inerrancy of the Bible follows as a consequence of this Divine authorship. Wherever the sacred writer makes a statement as his own, that statement is the word of God and infallibly true, whatever be the subject-matter of the statement.

Byron, Sam, Light and 1 other person like this.
  4. kristian

kristian New Member

I envy you and your faith. God Bless you.

5. Dolours

Dolours Guest

Someone who believes in a God based on the written word of men she has never met yet believes that those men could have made mistakes in what they wrote?????

I've wasted enough time on this nonsense.

6. Booklady

Booklady La Dolorosa

Douay-Rheimes
    2 Timothy 3:10-17

All Scripture is God-Breathed

10But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, love, patience, 11Persecutions, afflictions: such as came upon me at Antioch, at Iconium, and at Lystra: what persecutions I endured, and out of them all the Lord delivered me. 12And all that will live godly in Christ Jesus, shall suffer persecution. 13But evil men and seducers shall grow worse and worse: erring, and driving into error. 14But continue thou in those things which thou hast learned, and which have been committed to thee: knowing of whom thou hast learned them; 15And because from thy infancy thou hast known the holy scriptures, which can instruct thee to salvation, by the faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16All scripture, inspired of God, is profitable to teach, to reprove, to correct, to instruct in justice, 17That the man of God may be perfect, furnished to every good work.

Sam, Light and Mary's child like this.
  7. kristian

kristian New Member

Not to sound like a broken record.... but the above is what man said. Man said its the word of God.

8. kristian

kristian New Member

Yes. Man does make mistakes. Look whats going on in our Church now. Are you telling me there aren't mistakes being made?

9. Booklady

Booklady La Dolorosa

Douay-Rheims
    2Peter 1:16-21

From St. Peter, himself...

We were Eyewitnesses

(Matthew 17:1-13; Mark 9:1-13; Luke 9:28-36)

16For we have not by following artificial fables, made known to you the power, and presence of our Lord Jesus Christ; but we were eyewitnesses of his greatness. 17For he received from God the Father, honour and glory: this voice coming down to him from the excellent glory: This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him. 18And this voice we heard brought from heaven, when we were with him in the holy mount.

19And we have the more firm prophetical word: whereunto you do well to attend, as to a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: 20Understanding this first, that no prophecy of scripture is made by private interpretation. 21For prophecy came not by the will of man at any time: but the holy men of God spoke, inspired by the Holy Ghost.

Sam likes this.
  10. Mary's child

Mary's child Powers

God wins in the end, I have complete trust and faith in the most Holy Trinity... God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Carol55 and Booklady like this.
  11. kristian

kristian New Member

Thanks for putting up with me. I'm just at that time of my life where I question everything. Please forgive me.

12. Booklady

Booklady La Dolorosa

Douay-Rheims
    Galatians 1:11-12

Here St. Paul tells us that the gospel was revealed to him

Paul Defends his Ministry

11For I give you to understand, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. 12For neither did I receive it of man, nor did I learn it; but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Sam likes this.
  13. Dolours

Dolours Guest

Whose Church? My Church is the one, true Catholic Church, the mystical body of Our Lord Jesus Christ, which has handed down to us the Deposit of Faith and which Jesus promised the gates of hell would not prevail against. That Church teaches that Sacred Scripture is the inspired word of God. Thus far, Jesus has kept His word despite many ups and downs over two millennia. I'm not going to lose trust in Jesus now because the ship is taking on water in choppy seas. The ship will be steadied eventually and I plan on being on board when the Lord decides to call it and me home.

If you are seriously seeking Jesus, pray and open your heart to Him. Don't go looking for a God made in your own image and likeness who will always agree with you on everything because that god doesn't exist. If you pray the Our Father, try harder to mean it when you say "Thy will be done".

14. Carol55

Carol55 Ave Maria

kristian, I don't think that you are unlike many people at different times in their life. I was just going to post something similar to Dolours advice above, pray a lot and open your heart to God's will.

Imho, God has given us a lot of proof of his existence for the moments that we need a boost, so to speak. I think that your questions are good but remain movable. IOW, don't get stuck in the mud. These things don't always hit us like a bolt of lightning, you may need time to pray about some things first.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  15. Dolours

Dolours Guest

I think that Kristian would benefit from hearing the stories of people who found their way home to the Church via the Catholics Come Home network. No doubt, all Kristian's questions have already been asked and answered. Here's a link to their website: https://www.catholicscomehome.org/discover-a-beautiful-faith/

EWTN has many videos where people talk about their journey home to the Catholic Church. Here's one of them:

I will say an extra prayer for Kristian tonight. God bless.

16. Mary's child

Mary's child Powers

And I pray that you you receive the gift of faith. :)

Carol55, HeavenlyHosts and Booklady like this.
  17. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

One of the images I like the most is Josephite’s avatar here on the forum:
    Jesus is standing outside the door and knocking
    There is no doorknob or door latch for Him to use to come into our hearts
    We have to open the door from the inside to let Him in
    I echo the above posts: much prayer
    Mass and Holy Communion
    Confession very important
    He always exceeds our expectations
    He meets us right where we are

Dolours and Carol55 like this.