Notre Dame Cathedral, Paris, is on fire

Discussion in 'The Signs of the Times' started by BrianK, Apr 15, 2019.

  1. DeGaulle

    DeGaulle Powers

    The claim of this being an accident seems to have been made with indecent haste.

    The other reported Church attacks seem to have been precise and methodical, displaying an infernal knowledge of what exactly to target that one might not always expect of Muslims. The vicious attacks on statues of Our Lady are prominent, but Muslims generally venerate Our Lady and would be unlikely to show such visceral hatred. Militant atheists might better fit the bill.
     
  2. AED

    AED Powers

    For the West. For what was once Christendom. I have been pondering this all through the cooking and the cleaning g up after supper and I agree that God permitted this. It is terrible sacrilege against Our Lady but God permitted it. To me this shows how far along the road of chastisement we are. For Our Lady's ancient Cathedral to be destroyed sends a message so powerful that it frightens. God has taken His Hand of protection--His "mighty Arm" away from the Church. The Bride of Christ begins Holy Week for real. I pray and hope I am wrong.
     
    Mary's child, Jo M, Sam and 3 others like this.
  3. Dolours

    Dolours Guest

    With all the security surrounding important buildings in Paris, I think that an accident was the most likely cause. Someone on BBC said that although Notre Dame was a functioning Cathedral, it's actually owned by the French Government. I gather that the government appropriated it when they set up their secular state. Someone else reported that the Bishop had been appealing for funds for the renovations on the Cathedral, which doesn't makes sense if it's government owned. All the pundits are saying that the French Government will rebuild/restore Notre Dame.

    Macron was due to give a major speech today. I don't know whether it was to be a state of the nation type address but everyone was expecting him to announce measures to deal with the yellow vest protests. Heading into peak tourist season, stopping the protests must be a priority for Macron. Anyway, the fire caused Macron to postpone his speech.
     
    Don_D likes this.
  4. AED

    AED Powers

    Oh Richard I hope you are right. What
    And what better way to foment a bloody conflict than to make it appear to be Islamists.
     
  5. Fatima

    Fatima Powers

    Regardless, the Freemason's and the Muslim's have always had as the #1 target, the destruction of the Faith Jesus instituted. It matters not how it comes about in their view, it just has to collapse and this particular Cathedral was a icon that you can believe will be a symbol of their end game for the rest of the world. The Vatican however, is their top choice to collapse and it too will happen at some point as credible prophecies, including Fatima, has spoken to this.
     
    Jo M and AED like this.
  6. Fatima

    Fatima Powers

    Was it also an "accident" that it took fire fighters 3 hours to get there to begin with their water hoses? Surely France has planes that could have stopped the fire much earlier?
     
    Byron and Rose like this.
  7. Don_D

    Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

    .
    I have read before that the government of France has sought funds from various nations in help with the renovation project the expense was so vast. We can not jump to conclusions on the cause of the fire. As a young man I worked on fishing boats and anytime we were doing major work on board there was a very high fire danger. I can imagine in a structure as old as Notre Dame with a wooden roof that the danger of fire was astronomical. Once a fire is lit in that environment it is very hard to contain and spreads very fast.

    My concern with a fire of this magnitude is that once the roof fell the walls of the church would be subject to incredible amounts of heat from the still burning debris. I hope that the walls are found to be sound and not cracked from the heat of the blaze. What a terrible tragedy and in Holy Week. :(

    I hope that everyone was safely evacuated.
     
    Lumena likes this.
  8. Dolours

    Dolours Guest

    According to the reports, the difficulty was getting enough fire engines to the Cathedral because of where Notre Dame is situated - on a kind of island in the Seine. They said that Notre Dame is actually considered to be the centre of Paris because that's where the city began. It's also regarded (not geographically) as the centre of France because all roads are measured by their distance to Notre Dame. (That was news to me).

    The reason they couldn't drop water on it from the air is that the roof and much of the interior are made from wood - 800 year old wood. The weight or force of the water would have caused the roof to cave in. The reporter also said that the planes required would have been some distance from the Cathedral. The part about the wooden roof makes sense, at least in the early stage of the fire. The part about the planes being too far away made no sense to me because there are bound to be suitable planes and helicopters within a couple of minutes' flight from the centre of Paris.
     
    Heidi and Beth B like this.
  9. padraig

    padraig Powers

    You know actually it won't be French Catholics who go crazy if this does turn out to be arson. It will be the unbelieving French, which means the vast majority of the country, who will go berserk...and they will go berserk.
     
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    AED and Don_D like this.
  10. Beth B

    Beth B Beth Marie

    Byron and AED like this.
  11. padraig

    padraig Powers

    ah but the gorgeous stained glasss windows....ah..all melted. The wonderful, wonderful stained glass, the best on the planet. 1200 years old.

     
    Richard67 and djmoforegon like this.
  12. Beth B

    Beth B Beth Marie


    Notre Dame...
    Our Lady has left France....
    Or did France leave
    Our Lady?

    https://twitter.com/discarding_imgs/status/1117877458676502528/photo/1
     
    Tanker and Byron like this.
  13. Don_D

    Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

    .
    I know, it was my first thought when I heard about the fire.
     
    AED likes this.
  14. Dolours

    Dolours Guest

    The last news report I watched said that it looks like they can save the walls, although they were worried about a bell tower collapsing. The collapsing spire we saw on the news footage was a relatively recent addition to the building.

    There were some reports of groups of Catholics singing the Ave Maria, and something about a request from the Bishop for priests in other Catholic churches to ring the bells in their churches to remind people to pray. Notre Dame's bells were always rung in times of warning, times of mourning and times of celebration or victory. I turned off the TV after that report because it's too depressing. French Catholics need our prayers - faithful Catholics for God to sustain and comfort them, and cultural Catholics to wake them up to their spiritual loss.
     
    Frank Markus, Tanker, Sam and 5 others like this.
  15. Don_D

    Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

    I have been having a recurring dream lately but I have not posted about it. In it I am in a great city that is in turmoil for some reason and I am running. I see a beautiful Cathedral suspended in the sky with a huge array of lights coming from the ground in all the colors of the rainbow reaching up to it.

    In fact, just yesterday early in the morning I finally realized this dream. I had been having it repeatedly but could not remember it and woke up at 1:30 in the morning and finally had it fresh in my mind.
     
  16. Beth B

    Beth B Beth Marie

    Dolours...

    Maybe this is their wake up call? Not just for France, but the world. I mourn the loss of this historic catholic cathedral, but sadly I mourn more for the loss of the worlds faith. Had ND becomes more of a tourist attraction to the world ....and less the house of God?
     
  17. Beth B

    Beth B Beth Marie

    I honestly believe that this fire was symbolic ....
     
    Frank Markus, Byron and Don_D like this.
  18. AED

    AED Powers

    Interesting Don. A spiritual dream. The timing seems to confirm it.
     
  19. Don_D

    Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

    Oh my gosh the organ as well. :(
     
    Richard67 likes this.
  20. AED

    AED Powers

    :(
     

Share This Page