Martyrdom Thread

Discussion in 'On prayer itself' started by RosaryWielder, Dec 31, 2020.

1. RosaryWielder

RosaryWielder Founder of Claritas

I've started reading Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's The Gulag Archipelago, (An abridged version, whether or not I get a chance to read the full version, only the Lord knows) and I thought now would be a good time to start a thread on Martyrs and Martyrdom. I'm still taking me break technically speaking (and have been really enjoying it to be honest) but I figured I might as well start a thread like this sooner, rather than later.

So share anything you have on martyrs and martyrdom, videos, quotes, webpages, book recommendations &c., to help inspire everyone here for whatever is coming next. I'll start this with this video on the Ukrainian martyrs, I know posted it before, but I figure I'll post it again:

Dolours and Mario like this.
  2. Don_D

Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

With God in Russia by Fr Walter Sizjek S.J.

Although Fr lived to tell the tale the martyrdom which surrounded him and his agonizing years in the soviet gulags and work camps is something I will never forget. Sometimes, God's will for us is nothing like we expect and we must simply let go.

Dolours, RosaryWielder and AED like this.
  3. AED

AED Powers

RW have you read Solzinytzn's The Soul and Barbed Wire? Its a small book but profound.

RosaryWielder and Byron like this.
  4. AED

AED Powers

I treasure that book and his follow up He Leadeth Me. It had a deep effect on me when I first returned to the Church many years ago. I reread it about 5 years ago because I had a feeling that might be where we are headed. It was more powerful the second time through.

Clare A, Byron and Don_D like this.

5. Martyrdom of Patience - Servant of God Paul Perazzo

RosaryWielder and Sean Dowling like this.
  6. Don_D

Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

Yes me as well AED. I have hard covers of both for that very reason. I hope to read each several times over the years to come and have encouraged my children to read them as well so that they understand what can and may happen again in our life times.

RosaryWielder and AED like this.
  7. lynnfiat

lynnfiat Fiat Voluntas Tua

I have this book - The spelling of his name is Fr. Walter Ciszek. He lived in God's Will - abandoning all to the Divine Will.

This is his prayer of surrender to the Will of God:

Lord, Jesus Christ, I ask the grace to accept the sadness in my heart, as your will for me, in this moment. I offer it up, in union with your sufferings, for those who are in deepest need of your redeeming grace. I surrender myself to your Father's will and I ask you to help me to move on to the next task that you have set for me.

Spirit of Christ, help me to enter into a deeper union with you. Lead me away from dwelling on the hurt I feel: to thoughts of charity for those who need my love, to thoughts of compassion for those who need my care, and to thoughts of giving to those who need my help.

As I give myself to you, help me to provide for the salvation of those who come to me in need. May I find my healing in this giving. May I always accept God's will. May I find my true self by living for others in a spirit of sacrifice and suffering. May I die more fully to myself, and live more fully in you. As I seek to surrender to the Father's will, may I come to trust that he will do everything for me.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  8. AED

AED Powers

His cause for sainthood is ongoing.

RosaryWielder, Don_D and lynnfiat like this.
  9. lynnfiat

As it certainly should be!

RosaryWielder, AED and Don_D like this.
  10. lynnfiat

How much a soul that loves God suffers martyrdom of the soul when He withdraws His presence. This is the trial of those in this exile of earth.

11. RosaryWielder

Thanks, I'll definitely look into these.

12. RosaryWielder

Thanks, I'll watch this later.

13. RosaryWielder

Does anyone have any information on the Spanish Martyrs? I heard those Martyrdoms, were some of the most brutal.

14. RosaryWielder

This video is long, and has more to do with the overall history of the revolt in England than the persecution itself. But it does touch on the martyrs nonetheless; the thought of being hang, drawn and quartered for the Faith is certainly one of the more brutal ways to be martyred, a challenging thing to contemplate:

Clare A likes this.
  15. RosaryWielder

I've watched it now, will watch it again later, as I need to reflect on this a lot.

Jason Fernando likes this.
  16. RosaryWielder

I wonder if the recent activities in Washington will lead to more crackdowns and persecutions in the days to come...

Clare A likes this.
  17. Christy Beth

Christy Beth Archangels

With Kamala Harris coming in as Vice President, I don't doubt it. Biden will just be the lead-in to her take over. With all that's been going on in the last year, I don't doubt that things will get much, much worse. I hate being a negative nelly, but I don't see any good coming from all this. It's less than two weeks to the "change over." So, be prepared for anything and everything.

RosaryWielder and PurpleFlower like this.
  18. RosaryWielder

Yes, the important thing now is to be Holy, be willing to lay down one's life for the Faith.

19. RosaryWielder