Ice Box USA

Discussion in 'Prayer requests' started by padraig, Nov 20, 2014.

  1. padraig

    padraig Powers

    Prayers for all going into the ice box in the USA. I saw drone shots of Buffallo and it looks horrendous. But I suppose you are all used to this.:)

     
  2. bflocatholic

    bflocatholic Powers

    Not really - this most recent storm was unusual, even by Buffalo's standards.

    The crazy thing is that the places where there are 70-80 inches of snow are less than 10 miles from my house and I have maybe 8-10 inches! The way the "lake effect" snow bands set up coming off of Lake Erie, they are 10-20 miles wide and dump masses of snow on a limited area. It's nuts. The hardest hit areas are south of the City of Buffalo. I am in the northern suburbs.

    Please keep the people of Buffalo in your prayers - there have been many stranded motorists, people trapped in their homes, etc. Eight people have died as a direct result of the storm.

    http://www.buffalonews.com/city-reg...lapsing-many-roads-remain-impassable-20141120
     
  3. padraig

    padraig Powers

    Poor people. I would say out travelling must be the worst.
     
  4. Mario

    Mario Powers

    bfcatholic,

    The lake effect bands are crazy, no? We've been basically spared east of Lake Ontario and south of Pulaski. To the north in Jefferson County, they've gotten as much as three feet in the last week, but here on Tinker Tavern Rd. we only have had 10'' since last Saturday. The lake effect band is suppose to drift south over us this evening and dump a foot of snow.

    The thing to realize is that all this has been in mid-November. In the last 14 winters we have only averaged 8'' of snow each November. Our biggest November was in 2000 when we got 26" of snow and went on to get 300" that winter. The Tug Hill Plateau which is 20 miles NE of us averages 350" each year. They can have it! Last winter we got 208": an average amount.

    Safe in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary!
     
  5. PotatoSack

    PotatoSack Powers

    It is looking pretty crazy over there. If I were you, I would have a little survival kit in your car for the winter including a portable charcoal grill, for warmth if anything. Is it recommended that if you are stuck on the highway, you stay in your car? I'm surprised more did not freeze to death, as you are not supposed to run your car in case you get carbon monoxide poisening. I suppose you could keep making sure your tail pipe was clear. I think I might have tried to walk somewhere, but then again in NY state, there is a lot of miles between exits and not many hotels at all the exits. I don't know but I was really pondering last night what I would have done if I got stuck.

    I think I would invest in some chains for your tires. Those are still sold, right?
     
  6. padraig

    padraig Powers

    I was watching the poor people in the trailer parks, especially the old people . I cannot imagine how cold and unpleasant it must be to be in a trailer in deep snow.

    More prayers going up.

    I hear from the BBC it will come over to us for December in a much lighter form.:)

    On a selfish note I am thinking of betting on a white Christmas.

     

Share This Page