forum member Mac (Luke) passed away today, February 2

Discussion in 'Prayer requests' started by BrianK, Oct 8, 2018.

1. josephite

josephite Powers

At times when we are not so distracted we can become children again!

I love these times!!

Here's a beautiful little child like poem to Our Heavenly Mother for you Luke, Josephine and your children!

Lovely Lady Dressed in Blue

Lovely Lady dressed in blue-
    Teach me how to pray!
    God was just your little boy,
    Tell me what to say!

Did you lift Him up, sometimes,
    Gently on your knee?
    Did you sing to Him the way
    Josephine does for my children and me?

Did you hold His hand at night?
    Did you ever try....... Telling stories of the world?
    And Oh! did He cry?

Do you really think He cares i
    f I tell Him things- about my life-
    just little things, that are happening?

And Do the Angels' wings
    Make a noise?
    And can He hear
    Me if I speak low?
    Does He understand me now?
    Tell me- for you know!

Lovely Lady dressed in blue-
    Teach me how to pray!
    For God was just your little boy,
    And you know the way.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  2. Fatima

Fatima Powers

Keeping Mac and his family in our family rosary and prayers.

3. josephite

josephite Powers

This beautiful devotion to Our Lady of Perpetual Succour is one we can all cultivate and it has a special place in Mac's/Luke's life.

In honour of Our Mothers perpetual protection and in honour of Luke's devotion to her under this title the following is presented....

Our Lady of Perpetual Succour

The image of Our Lady of Perpetual Help is an icon, painted on wood, and seems to have originated around the thirteenth century. Traditionally, the image is also known as “Our Lady of Perpetual Succour.” The icon (about 54 x 41.5 centimetres) depicts our Blessed Mother Mary, under the title “Mother of God,” holding the Child Jesus. The Archangels Michael and Gabriel, hovering in the upper corners, hold the instruments of the Passion– St. Michael (in the left corner) holds the spear, the wine-soaked sponge, and the crown of thorns, and St. Gabriel (in the right corner) holds the cross and the nails. The intent of the artist was to portray the Child Jesus contemplating the vision of His future Passion. The anguish He feels is shown by the loss of one of His sandals. Nevertheless, the icon also conveys the triumph of Christ over sin and death, symbolised by the golden background (a sign of the glory of the resurrection) and the manner in which the angels hold the instruments, i.e. like trophies gathered up from Calvary on Easter morning.

[​IMG]

In a very beautiful way, the Child Jesus grasps the hand of the Blessed Mother. He seeks comfort from His mother, as He sees the instruments of His passion. The position of Mary’s hands– both holding the Child Jesus (who seems like a small adult) and presenting Him to us – convey the reality of our Lord’s incarnation, that He is true God who became also true man. In iconography, Mary here is represented as the Hodighitria, the one who guides us to the Redeemer. She also is our Help, who intercedes on our behalf with her Son. The star painted on Mary’s veil, centred on her forehead, highlights her role in the plan of salvation as both the Mother of God and our Mother

Some believe the icon to be a true copy of a painting that, according to legend, was painted by Saint Luke using the meal table of the Holy Family in Nazareth, and in Eastern Orthodox tradition was often identified with the Hodegetria icon and consider it to be a miraculous imprint of the Virgin Mary both in the Latin and Orthodox communities. Another icon, which is also believed to have been painted by Saint Luke is the Black Madonna, which has been under the custodianship of the Pauline Fathers since 1382.

The earliest written account of the image comes from a Latin and Italian plaque placed in the church of San Matteo in Via Merulana where it was first venerated by the public in 1499. The writer of the icon is unknown, but according to a parchment attached to the painting that accompanied the icon, it was stolen by a merchant sailing to Rome from the island of Crete, also sometimes referred to as Candia or Heraklion.

After stealing the icon, the ageing merchant sailed and hid the icon while travelling at sea, until a storm hit hard and the sailors prayed with the icon for help. When the merchant arrived in Rome he fell ill, and as a dying wish he asked a second merchant to place the icon in a church where it could serve for veneration. Initially, the merchant was reluctant to give the icon away. The second merchant then confided to his wife about the icon. Upon seeing the beautiful icon, the woman refused to give it to the church but instead hung it in their home.

Later on, the Virgin Mary is said to have appeared to the merchant's daughter, grandmother and neighbor, who implored that the icon be turned over to a parish. The Virgin Mary allegedly appeared to the little girl that the icon ought to be placed between the basilicas of St. Mary Major and St. John Lateran. The wife gave the icon to the Augustinian Friars. On March 27, 1499, the icon was transferred to the church of San Matteo where it remained for 300 years. The picture was then popularly called the Madonna di San Matteo.

Pope Pius, who as a boy had prayed before the picture in San Matteo, became interested in the discovery and in a letter dated December 11, 1865 to Father General Mauron, C.Ss.R., ordered that Our Lady of Perpetual Succour should be again publicly venerated in Via Merulana, and this time at the new church of St. Alphonsus. Pope Pius IX directed the Augustinian friars to surrender the icon to the Redemptorist priests, on condition that the Redemptorists must supply the Augustinians with another picture of Our Lady of Perpetual Help or a good copy of the icon in exchange as a gesture of goodwill.

To this day, the Church of St. Alphonsus displays the icon of Our Lady of Perpetual Help and welcome pilgrims for prayer. May each of us never hesitate to invoke the prayers and intercession of Our Blessed Mother in time of need.

==================================================================
    HISTORY OF THE DEVOTION

The devotion to the picture of Our Lady of perpetual Succour is of very ancient origin. It was first venerated in the island of Crete near Greece from whence it was carried to italy and placed in the Church of St.Mathew in Apostle in Rome between the Basilicas of St. Mary Major and St.John Lateran then in charge of the Augustinian Brothers. The Madonna in the picture, it would appear, had called herself, "Holy Mary of Perpetual Succour", while in Crete it was known as "Our Lady of the Angels". This was in 1499, it seems to have been painted about the year 1455 or even earlier, and it was restored or re-painted in the 19th Century , making it appear as it is at present. In 1798 the Church of St.Mathew was destroyed and the Picture passed into oblivion till the year 1866 when it came into the hands of the Redemptorists at the express command of Pope Pius IX. Since then the Redemptorist Fathers have been the propagators of the devotion of Our Lady of Perpetual Succour wherever they preach retreats and Missions.

EXPLANATION OF THE PICTURE
    The picture of Our Lady of Perpetual Succour belongs to the group of Passion icons of the 15th century. These paintings are characterized by the symbols of the passion and the austere features of the Madonna and the Child. Around the crowned head of the Madonna are the words "Mother of God". On both sides are the two archangels Michael and Gabriel with their respective names inscribe above their head and holding the instruments of the Passion: St.Michael holding the spear and the sponge and St.Gabriel the Cross. At the sight of the Cross the Child Jesus is stuck by fear his feet strike each other and knock off a struck by fear his feet strike each other and knock off a sandal from this foot and he clings to this mother for support. The features of the Madonna are gave conveying a message of hope and an assurance of help to all those who in identical circumstances will appeal to her for help. These is also a plea in her eyes: do not hurt my Son more by sin and I will help you by his goodness.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  4. josephite

josephite Powers

Behold, O Mother of Perpetual Help, at thy feet a wretched sinner, who has recourse to thee and trusts in thee. O Mother of mercy, have pity on me; I hear all men call thee the refuge and hope of sinners: be therefore my refuge and my hope. Help me for the love of Jesus Christ: hold out thy hand to a fallen wretch, who commends himself to thee and dedicates himself to be thy servant forever. I praise and thank God, who of His great mercy hath given me this confidence in thee, a sure pledge of my eternal salvation. Alas, it is only too true that in the past I have fallen miserably, because I did not come to thee. I know that with thy help I shall conquer; I know that thou wilt help me, if I commend myself to thee; but I am fearful lest in the occasions of sin I shall forget to call upon thee and so I shall be lost. This grace, then, do I ask of thee; for this I implore thee, as much as I can and know how to do; namely, that in the assaults of hell I may ever run to thy protection and may say to thee: Mary, help me; Mother of Perpetual Help, permit me not to lose my God.

Hail Mary

O Mother of Perpetual Help, grant me ever to be able to call upon thy powerful name, since thy name is the help of the living and the salvation of the dying. Ah, Mary most pure, Mary most sweet, grant that thy name from this day forth may be to me the very breath of life. Dear Lady, delay not to come to my assistance whenever I call upon thee; for in all the temptations that assail me, in all the necessities that befall me, I will never leave off calling upon thee, ever repeating: Mary, Mary. What comfort, what sweetness, what confidence, what tenderness fills my soul at the sound of thy name, at the very thought of thee! I give thanks to our Lord, who for my sake hath given thee a name so sweet, so lovable, so mighty. But I am not content merely to speak thy name; I would utter it for very love of thee; it is my desire that love should ever remind me to name thee, Mother of Perpetual Help.

Hail Mary

O Mother of Perpetual Help, thou art the dispenser of every grace that God grants us in our misery; it is for this cause that He hath made thee so powerful, so rich, so kind, that thou mightest assist us in our miseries. Thou art the advocate of the most wretched and abandoned sinners, if they but come unto thee; come once more to my assistance, for I commend myself to thee. In thy hands I place my eternal salvation; to thee I entrust my soul. Enroll me among thy most faithful servants; take me under thy protection and it is enough for me: yes, for if thou protect me, I shall fear nothing; not my sins, for thou wilt obtain for me their pardon and remission; not the evil spirits, for thou art mightier than all the powers of hell; not even Jesus, my Judge, for He is appeased by a single prayer from thee. I fear only that through my own negligence I may forget to recommend myself to thee and so I shall be lost. My dear Lady, obtain for me the forgiveness of my sins, love for Jesus, final perseverance and the graceto have recourse to thee at all times, O Mother of Perpetual Help.

Hail Mary

5. josephite

josephite Powers

[​IMG]

THE PERPETUAL NOVENA
    OF
    OUR LADY OF PERPETUAL SUCCOUR

==================================
    (PRAY THIS NOVENA NINE TIMES)
    (Preferably on Wednesday's)

****I dedicate this site to the people all over the world to get powerful blessing from God through Mother Mary****
    =========================

NOVENA PRAYERS
    1.COME HOLY GHOST
    (Kneel)
    Come, Holy Ghost, Creator blest,
    And in our Souls take up Thy rest,
    Come with Thy grace and heavenly aid
    To fill the hearts which Thou hast made.
    V. Send forth Thy Spirit and they shall be created;
    R. And Thou shalt renew the face of the earth.
    LET US PRAY
    O God , who didst teach the hearts of Thy faithful people by sending them the light of the Holy Spirit, grant us by the same Spirit, to have a right judgement in all things, and evermore to rejoice in his holy comfort, through Christ Our Lord, Amen

AN ACT OF CONTRITION
    (Here, O God is my sacrifice, a broken spirit; a heart that is humbled and contrite, thou O God, will never disdain; ps 50:19)

My God, I believe in Thee.* I hope in thee .* I love Thee above all things.* With all my Soul,* With all my heart ,* and with all my strength ; * I love Thee because thou are infinitely good * And worthy of being loved * and because I love Thee,* I repent with all my heart * Of having offended Thee; * have mercy on me a sinner. Amen

FOR THE INTENTIONS OF THE HOLY FATHER
    THE OUR FATHER
    Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name, Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses , as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen

THE HAIL MARY
    Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, JESUS , Holy Mary Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen

THE GLORY BE TO THE FATHER
    Glory be to the Father, and to the Son and to the Holy spirit.

As it was in the beginning , is now and ever shall be world without end . Amen

INVOCATIONS TO OUR LADY
    We fly to thy patronage, O Holy Mother of God. Despise not our petitions in our necessities. But ever deliver us from all dangers O glorious and blessed Virgin.
    Priest : O Mother of Perpetual Succour, thou whose very name inspires confidence.

People : Help me, O loving Mother.
    Pr. : That I may love and serve God with all my heart.
    Pe. : Help me, O loving mother
    Pr. : That I may never neglect prayer
    Pe. : Help me, O loving Mother.
    Pr. : In temptations against the holy vitue of purity
    Pr. : That I may quickly rise again should I have the misfortune to fall into sin.
    Pe. : Help me, O loving Mother
    Pr. : That I may courageously resist the seductions of the world, evil companions, bad books and films
    Pr. : That I may often and devoutly receive the Sacraments and fulfil my Christian duties and the duties of my state.
    Pr. : That I may be patient and resigned in all trials and troubles of life
    Pr. : In sickness and pain, in poverty and distress
    Pr. : That I may not delay my conversion from day to day
    Pr. : That I may ever love and serve thee and invoke thy assistance
    Pr. : That I may be able to lead others to love serve and pray to thee
    Pr. : When death is near and I am about to pass into eternity.
    Pr. : To my last hour, to my last breath do thou watch over me.
    Pr. : Pray for us O Mother of Perpetual Succour
    LET US PRAY
    O Almighty and merciful God * Who in order to assist the human race * Has willed the blessed virgin Mary * To become the Mother of Thy only-begotten Son * Grant we beseech Thee * That by her intercession * We may avoid the contagion of sin * And serve Thee with a pure heart * Through the same Christ Our Lord * Amen

Holy Mary, * Succour the miserable, help the faint hearted * Cheer those that weep, *Pray for the people ,* be the advocate of the clergy, * Intercede for all devout women, * Let all feel thine aid,* Who implore thy perpetual succour.
    Priest : Thou has been made for us O Lady, a Refuge.
    People : A helper in need and tribulation.
    LET US PRAY
    O Lord Jesus Christ,* Who hast given us Thy Mother Mary, * Whose wondrous image we venerate, * To our Mother ,* Ever ready to succour us,* grant , we beseech Thee,* That we, who earnestly implore her maternal aid, * May deserve to enjoy perpetually the fruit of thy redemption * Who lives and reigns world without end. Amen.

HYMN - MOTHER DEAR OH PRAY FOR ME
    Mother dear, Oh, pray for me
    Whilst far from Heaven and Thee,
    I wander in a fragile bark
    O'er life's tempestuous sea.
    O Virgin Mother , from thy throne.
    So bright in bliss above,
    Protect Thy child, and cheer my path,
    With Thy Sweet smile of love.
    Chorus:
    Mother dear, Oh pray for me
    And never cease Thy care;
    Till in heaven eternally,
    Thy love and bliss I share.

THE MEMORARE
    Remember, O Most gracious Virgin Mary, * That never was it known,* That anyone who fleld to thy protection, implored thy help * Or sought thy intercession,* was left unaided * Inspired with this confidence,* I fly to thee, O vigin of Virgins, my Mother * To thee I come , * before thee I stand, * sinful and sorrowful, * O Mother of the world Incarnate * Despise not my petitions, * but in thy mercy hear and answer me. Amen

EXPOSITION AND PRAYER BEFORE THE BLESSED SACRAMENT
    Merciful lord whose mercies are without number and whose goodness is Without end you Abide with your people in wondrous manner and are with us all days even to the end of time. By your kindly presence direct our minds, With your guiding love watch over our paths, With your powerful help deliver us from every tribulation From all danger and sin That we may on earth always live With you and in you And in your eternal dwelling Enjoy your presence for ever Amen.
    10. BLESSING OF THE SICK
    V. Our help is in the Name of the Lord
    R. Who made heaven and earth
    V. Lord, hear my prayer
    R. And let my cry come unto Thee.
    V. Thy Lord be with you.
    R. And with you also.
    LET US PRAY
    Grant , we beseech Thee, O Lord God that these Thy servants may enjoy perpetual health of mind and body; and by the glorious intercession of Blessed Mary, ever Virgin, be delivered from present sorrow and enjoy eternal gladness Through Christ our Lord. Amen
    ( Extending his right hand towards the people)
    May the Lord Jesus Christ be amongst you, to defend you * Within you, to preserve you * Before you , to guide you * After you, to guard you * Above you to bless you * who with the Father and the holy Spirit lives and reigns for ever and ever. Amen
    Through the intercession of our Mother of Perpetual Succour may the blessing of Almighty God, + Father, Son , and Holy Spirit , descend upon you and remain with you forever. Amen.

MARY FROM THY SACRED IMAGE
    Mary, from thy sacred image,
    With those eyes so sadly sweet,
    Mother of perpetual Succour!
    See us kneeling at thy feet.
    In thy arms thy Child thou bearest
    Source of all thy joy and woe;
    What thy bliss, how deep thy sorrows,
    Mother , thou alone canst know

BENEDICTION OF THE BLESSED SACRAMENT
    Let us bow in adoration,
    To this Sacrament so great
    Here is new and perfect worship,
    All the old must terminate,
    Senses cannot grasp this marvel,
    Faith must serve to compensate.
    Glory, Honour, Adoration.
    Let us sing with one accord,
    Praised be God, almighty Father,
    Praised be Christ, His Son our Lord,
    Praised be God the Holy spirit,
    Triune God-head be Adored . Amen
    Priest : Let us Pray : O God in this wonderful Sacrament you have left us the memorial of your passion grant that we may so reverence the sacred Mysteries of your body and Blood, that the taste of the fruit of your redemption may ever be within us, who lives and reigns for ever and ever.
    People : Amen.

THE DIVINE PRAISES
    Blessed be God
    Blessed be His Holy Name
    Blessed be Jesus Christ, true God and true Man
    Blessed be the Name of Jesus
    Blessed be His most Sacred Heart
    Blessed be His Most Precious Blood
    Blessed be Jesus in the Most Holy Sacrement of the Altar
    Blessed be the Holy Spirit, the Paraclete
    Blessed be the great Mother of God, Mary most Holy
    Blessed be her Holy and Immaculate Conception
    Blesssed be Her Glorious Assumption
    Blessed be the Name of Mary, Virgin and Mother
    Blessed be St. Joseph, her most chaste Spouse
    Blessed be God in His Angels and in His Saints.

MOTHER DEAREST, MOTEHR FAIREST
    1. Mother dearest, Mother Fairest,
    Help of all who call on Thee,
    Virgin Purest, brightest, rarest
    Help us, help we cry to thee
    Chorus
    Mary, Help us, help we pray
    Help us in all care and sorrow,
    2. Mary, help in pain and sorrow
    Soothe those rack'd on bed of pain
    May the golden light of morrow
    Bring them health and joy again.

Chorus:
    3. Help our priests, our Sisters lowly,
    Help our Pope, long may he reign,
    Pray that we who sing their praises
    May in Heav'n all meet again.
    Chorus:
    4. Mary, help the absent loved ones;
    How we miss their presence here,
    May the hand of Thy protection,
    Guard and guide them far and near.

Chorus:

THE SIGN OF THE CROSS
    In the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen

6. RoryRory

RoryRory Perseverance

I am helping look after grandchildren and will offer my day tomorrow for your peace and you are in my prayers. May God bless you and your family greatly.please remember us also.

Beth B, josephite, Praetorian and 4 others like this.
  7. RoryRory

RoryRory Perseverance

You are in my prayers Mac.May God bless you and your family greatly.

josephite, Praetorian, Mac and 3 others like this.
  8. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Josephite, thank you for posting this. I love OLPH. Sometimes I travel to the Wednesday novena in another diocese. Great graces!

9. padraig

padraig New Member

Prayign for you tonight Mac. You are an inspiration to me. When my door gets knocked I rpay to God I open the door of my heart the way you have opened yours.

Still praying for a miracle though. If not that a happy death with Jesus, Maay and Joseph by your side...and flights of angels to carry you home.

Beth B, josephite, Praetorian and 5 others like this.
  10. fallen saint

fallen saint Baby steps :)

Hello Mac,

:)

Just a little smile.

Br. al

gracia, Praetorian, Seagrace and 4 others like this.
  11. Frank Markus

Frank Markus Archangels

Hello Mac
    I'm new here. You've been a great inspiration to me.
    May God give you strength and guidance. Love to your family

josephite, gracia, Praetorian and 4 others like this.
  12. Mac

Mac "To Jesus, through Mary"

Hello all,
    I thought I should give an update as it has been a couple of weeks since I last wrote.
    Firstly I want to thank you all again for all the prayers and support.
    It has been a great help and encouragement during this difficult time.
    I am very glad I joined and remained a member of this forum/family.
    Even though I fought and argued with many of you, especially back in the early days:ROFLMAO::(.

As for my health, I continue to lose weight, but thanks to the marvelous medications , Morphine, Steroids,Sleeping tablets etc, I am still pretty mobile and get to daily Mass and potter around the house.
    In the evenings as a family we pray the prayers for the dying, which are beautiful prayers.
    I have been looking into the 'Sabbatine Privilige' promise, and trying to work out if I qualify. I think I will. I surely hope I will.

God bless,
    Luke

13. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Luke, you have been on my mind today as I wondered how you are doing. Of course, I still continue to pray, and you know that the others are, as well. I appreciate the update. It is encouraging to learn that you are carrying on mostly as usual, and that the prayers with the family are enriching your lives. I think you might qualify for the Sabbatine privilege.
    This forum is a very special place, as you have discovered. No worries about the past posts. We all got to where we are now by coming through all of it with God's grace and merciful forgiveness.
    We each play our part in the Mystical Body of Christ.
    God continue to bless you and your family. Great to hear from you.

gracia, Frank Markus, Bella and 9 others like this.
  14. SgCatholic

SgCatholic Maranatha

Luke,
    Thank you for updating us.
    You have been on my mind and in my prayers daily, especially at mass.
    May God Bless you.
    May the glorious and blessed Virgin Mary be ever by your side.

15. maryrose

maryrose Powers

Luke
    I continue to pray for you. God bless you and your beloved family.

16. Katfalls

Katfalls Archangels

May the Peace of Jesus be with you and comfort you.

17. AED

AED Powers

Praying Luke for you and your family. Thank you for the update. May Our Lady of Mount Carmel keep you very close to her Heart.

18. Mario

Mario Powers

As do I, Luke! One day at a time carried by Our Lady!:):coffee: And prayers for you as well, maryrose!

19. Dawn2

Dawn2 Archangels

Dear Jesus please support, comfort and heal Luke. Our Lady of Perpetual Help please pray for him.

20. djmoforegon

djmoforegon Powers

Mac, I'm putting your feisty soul before Our Lord daily at a parish mission on Mary: Queen, Mother, Prophet, Intercessor.

gracia, Dolours, Frank Markus and 9 others like this.