Coronavirus

Discussion in 'The Signs of the Times' started by garabandal, Jan 22, 2020.

1. garabandal

garabandal Powers

No one is saying this pandemic is anywhere near as bad as the Spanish Flu outbreak in 1918-1919.

It isn't & it won't be -

This virus is bad but it could have been a worse strain --

However, it is very infectious and kills vulnerable people and overwhelms modern health care systems -- and yes it kills a lot of older people --

What I cannot understand on a Christian forum is the lack of empathy of some people towards the victims of this disease, their families and the health care workers exhausting themselves in the line of duty.

We are fortunate that this is not like the Spanish flu --

We are going to endure a short term hit of a few months and hopefully it will be over by the Summer which is the best case scenario.

Perhaps the longer term impact will actually be economic.

But there is no doubt that this is virus one of the ' signs of the times' and we are in for a bumpy ride fron now on ---

2. earthtoangels

earthtoangels Powers

Of course St. Anthony's Basilica in Padua is smack in that northern Italy region that's been swamped w/ cases.

Virus Hits Saint Anthony Basilica, Closes Public Masses At Fatima

March 22, 2020 by sd

From Vatican News:

[​IMG]Two Conventual Franciscan friars of the Basilica of St. Anthony of Padua in Italy tested positive on Tuesday and immediately went into a self-imposed quarantine to prevent infecting the rest of the community, said a press release on Friday on the shrine’s online edition of the “Messenger of Saint Anthony” magazine.

The community said the two members are living this difficult moment with serenity and are sharing in the sufferings of the sick and their families. They pledge to pray especially for those who are dealing with the contagion, both directly and indirectly, such as healthcare workers, political institutions, law enforcement agencies, volunteers and all who are helping the suffering people.

The situation of the two friars is in constant evolution and the consequences of the infection cannot be assessed in their entirety at this time, said Fr. Oliviero Svanera, Rector of the Basilica.

In touch with pilgrims digitally
    “We think it is important to continue making our presence felt, even though only through the digital media, to the many people who see in Saint Anthony a friend, whose voice we friars are in a certain sense,” Father Svanera said.

Earlier on March 12, the Conventual Franciscan friars decided to reduce contact with people in the Basilica to the minimum to curb the spread of the virus.

The friars have not been visible in the sanctuary for more than a week, except after closing time, so as not to interact even with the employees of the Basilica.

In line with instructions from the Diocese of Padua and the Italian government, confessions and public celebration of the Mass have been suspended. However, Masses are streamed live at 6 pm (Italian time) on the shrine website.

St. Anthony of Padua shrine continues to remain open to the faithful for private prayer to give a message of courage and hope, the community said.

Europe’s shrines
    Across Europe, several shrines have been closed or access restricted in line with government directives.

The Marian shrine of Lourdes, in France, closed to the public on March 17.

At the Marian shrine of Fatima in Portugal, Masses and Rosary services are being live-streamed since March 14 without the participation of the faithful. All but two basement chapels of the Holy Trinity Basilica and the Chapel of the Apparition have been closed to pilgrims.

In Santiago de Compostela, Spain, pilgrims were barred from embracing the statue of St James in the cathedral, which finally closed its doors on March 13 until further notice.

Since the outbreak of the coronavirus in Wuhan, in central China, in December, the pandemic has infected more than 288,000 and killed nearly11,949 people in some 186 countries and territories.

djmoforegon likes this.
  3. earthtoangels

earthtoangels Powers

A Sign Over Vatican?

March 23, 2020 by sd

From VATIKAN:

[​IMG]

After the decision to ban the celebration of holy Masses and other rituals with the faithful,
    an unusual phenomenon of the sun appeared due to the coronavirus in the sky
    above the Vatican.
    An Italian who sent us this photo for hercegovina.info says that many believers interpret it as
    a Host. In 2012, we had a similar phenomenon of the sun in
    Herzegovina, in Medjugorje.

[​IMG]

[For Full Story]

https://spiritdailyblog.com/news/report-phenomenon-appears-over-shuttered-medjugorje

Sam, DeGaulle, padraig and 2 others like this.
  4. garabandal

garabandal Powers

5. padraig

padraig New Member

I had heard about this but never saw the photo before. Thanks you.

6. padraig

padraig New Member

Well we know the name of at least 30 priests who died.

https://catholicherald.co.uk/at-least-28-priests-in-northern-italy-have-died-from-covid-19/

At least 28 priests in northern Italy have died from COVID-19
    [​IMG]
    Courtney Mares/CNA
    March 20, 2020 at 10:54 am
    [​IMG]

Italian dioceses surrounding Milan have reported the deaths of 30 priests during the coronavirus outbreak.

Avvenire, the Italian newspaper owned by the Italian bishops conference, attributes at least 28 of these priests’ deaths to COVID-19, and also notes two additional cases: that of Fr. Guido Mortari, who died of pneumonia before he could get tested, and Fr. Giorgio Bosini, who had a serious underlying medical condition.

All but three of the priests were over the age of 70, and more than half were over 80 years old. The youngest priest to die from coronavirus, Fr. Andrea Avanzini of the Diocese of Parma, was 54 years old.

Eleven of the deceased priests come from the Diocese of Bergamo, where at least 15 other priests have been hospitalized, according to the local bishop

Pope Francis called the bishop of Bergamo on March 18 to express his closeness to the many who are suffering in the diocese.

“Pope Francis has promised that he will carry us in his heart and in his daily prayers,” Bishop Francesco Beschi of Bergamo told his diocese in a video message following the phone call.

“The Holy Father was very affectionate, showing his paternal closeness to me, to the priests, to the sick, to those who care for them and to our whole community. He wanted to ask for details on the situation that Bergamo is experiencing, on which he was very informed,” the bishop said.

“In particular, he asked me to bring his closeness to the sick and to all those who in different ways are doing heroically for the good of others: doctors, nurses, civil and health authorities, law enforcement,” he added.

Bergamo is the home diocese of Pope St. John XXIII, and the bishop is encouraging local Catholics to pray to St. John XXIII for the sick and for their caretakers.

Fr. Remo Rota, an Italian priest who served as a missionary in the Democratic Republic of Congo for 38 years, died on March 17 in Bergamo after testing positive for coronavirus. He was 77.

Six priests have died of the coronavirus in the Diocese of Parma. Among them was Fr. Franco Minardi, who served the same parish for 70 years, and Fr. Nicola Masi, a Saveriani Missionary of Parma, who once served as a missionary in the Amazon.

The Diocese of Piacenza-Bobbio reported the deaths of three priests, including 87-year-old twin brothers, Fr. Mario Boselli and Fr. Giovanni Boselli, who died within a day of each other.

Other Italian dioceses with reported coronavirus deaths are Cremona, Milan, Lodi, Brescia, Casale Monferrato and Tortona.

Private funerals are being offered for the deceased priests, as all public religious ceremonies, including wedding and funerals, were banned by the Italian government.

Nearly 3,000 people have died from COVID-19 in Italy in less than a month after 35,700 people tested positive for the coronavirus as of March 18.

7. Carol55

Carol55 Ave Maria

Padraig, Thank you for posting this. I think it was only a week ago when the number was 8. Prayers for these priests, their families and their congregations.

Prayers continuing for all of Italy. +

Jo M, Tanker, HeavenlyHosts and 4 others like this.
  8. Jo M

Jo M Archangels

Fascinating. Good Friday 4/10/20. We'll see.
    I've been praying for an Easter miracle.

Byron, HeavenlyHosts, Mario and 3 others like this.
  9. AED

AED Powers

Me too Jo.

HeavenlyHosts, Mario, Jo M and 2 others like this.
  10. earthtoangels

earthtoangels Powers

If true, it won't necessarily be pretty since it would involve a totally other kind of "resurrection" w/ all that comes with it.....hopefully via the Holy Spirit involved in the actions of men of good will. Perhaps "we ain't seen nothing yet"!

Byron, Mario, DeGaulle and 4 others like this.
  11. Mary's child

Mary's child Powers

Won't we all.

Jo M likes this.
  12. wait a minute ???? is that green circle in that picture a lens flare ??? or is it indeed comet atlas ?? where's torrentum to shed some light on this....

on another note I learned that in greek methodology that atlas saved the world ???

13. Dolours

Dolours Powers

Dream on Jack. People like your father are the last who will be consulted in the new Church. There certainly will be women but they won't be the ladies who do all the donkey work behind the scenes, taking care of the sanctuary, bringing Communion to shut-ins and making sure that all slots are covered at Adoration. Instead, we'll have clones of Greta Thornberg calling thmselves Catholic - social justice and climate change activists in some kind of ministry. There's a thread somewhere on the forum about the Amazon Synod. I posted an interview with the Bishop chosen by the Pope to answer questions about his Apostolic Exhortation. I can't recall his name - possibly Czerney - or whether he was merely a Bishop or a Cardinal but he was a Jesuit. Listening to the Bishop, I got the impression that the type of "ministers" he has in mind will consider adherence to Church teaching on marriage and family to be an optional extra. I've had a busy day and am too tired to search for the video now but it's worth watching if you want an idea of what's on the cards.

You're fortunate indeed if you have a good and holy Bishop who isn't a devotee of Luther's reformers or worse. Sadly, many Bishops are nothing to write home about. Recalling the Priests' Society's stance during the abortion referendum, I fear that the good Bishops are contending with a movement which has nothing whatever to do with Jesus Christ or the Great Commission. That was a real eye opener for me. The "Gaynooth" reputation didn't happen by accident. Praying to "Father/Mother God" is only the tip of the iceberg.

DeGaulle and jackzokay like this.
  14. Dolours

Dolours Powers

Many of those priests, Carol, would have been retired from active ministry, some of them possibly living in nursing homes or with relatives. Needless to say, that doesn't make their being victims of the virus any less tragic. May God rest their souls. Sad to see reports of churches being used as temporary morgues.

HeavenlyHosts likes this.
  15. jackzokay

jackzokay Archangels

I actually had that part about women being given more of a role than 'cleaning-up' in my original post... and took it out. There are so many wise - and very astute-women in the parishes

Something needs to change. We are the church. And part of - 'we' - are people of faith and holiness and wisdom.

The bishops need, absolutely need - to access this resource. For it seems many are floundering on their own.

If what you say is true, we're all doomed to more Corona-virus-like incidents, until we see sense. Or until Himself has had enough of us! And ends it all...

16. Jo M

Jo M Archangels

I have some good news. My dad was discharged from the hospital today! Like my grandson, he also tested negative for flu and COVID-19, so once again a false negative is assumed. We are hearing stories of other patients with false negatives as well, so apparently it is not uncommon. My daughter was tested this past weekend, and we are still waiting on her results, she is still recovering. My husband came down with the virus symptoms yesterday. He is holding his own right now, so I'm hoping he can just recover at home. I am beyond grateful for all of your prayers, and words of comfort. Our family came very close to losing a very good man. When the nurse rolled him out of the hospital in his wheelchair, he was beaming with joy. Our Lord heard all of the prayers sent up to heaven for Robert, and we are truly blessed to have him home again.
    God bless you all,
    Jo

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    Byron, Patty, BrianK and 10 others like this.
  17. padraig

padraig New Member

Praise God.:)

I am very suspicious about these test kits in the USA.

Something doesn't smell right.

Byron, Mary's child and Jo M like this.
  18. Jo M

Jo M Archangels

Hope you are feeling better Little Voice, there is much suffering with this terrible virus. Prayers for you and your family.

Byron, Mary's child and LittleVoice like this.
  19. Jo M

Jo M Archangels

I agree Padraig, something is off. There are patients in intensive care who have negative results.

Mary's child likes this.
  20. DeGaulle

DeGaulle Powers

Both images remind me of a Host in a Monstrance. I see them as signs of Hope and Reassurance.

Mary's child likes this.