Catholic Movies

Discussion in 'Books, movies, links, websites.' started by Krizevac, May 18, 2020.

1. TinNM

TinNM Principalities

It's been awhile but I saw these films on Sister Clare Crockett, she was very charismatic I thought:

Clare Crockett - Wikipedia

Clare Theresa Crockett (14 November 1982 – 16 April 2016) was a Catholic nun and former actress from Northern Ireland.

She joined an acting agency at 14 and got her first job at 15. She worked as a theater actor, writer and director, and as a tv presenter for Channel 4. She was a self-confessed wild child during her teenage years and loved to go partying.[4] She wanted to become a famous actress after a role[5] in the Jimmy McGovern film Sunday, directed by Charles McDougall, which depicted the 1972 Bloody Sunday massacre in Northern Ireland.

Death[edit]
    On 16 April 2016, while she was playing the guitar and singing with her companions, the house where she was staying collapsed due to the 2016 Ecuador earthquake. Hours later she was found lifeless under the rubble. She died due to multiple injuries, in a community of Riochico, Portoviejo, Ecuador.[12][13][14][15][16] Her remains were flown from Ecuador two weeks after her death back to her home town of Derry and were laid to rest in the City Cemetery.[17] Since her death, the story of her life has become known to many and she has been an inspiration[18][19] for her womanhood and for her exceptional commitment to her vocation.

Legacy[edit]
    The movie All Or Nothing summarizes her life.[20][21] In 2020, a house-sized mural commemorating Sister Clare was unveiled near her home in Derry,[22][23][24] and a sister in her religious order published a biography of her.[25][2]

Miracles[edit]
    Healings and fertility miracles have been attributed to her after people prayed for her intercession[26][27][28][29] and there have been calls for her to be made a saint.[30] Usually a beatification process doesn’t begin until at least 5 years[31] after a person’s death. In January 2021 her order said that they have begun "to take steps in view of opening the cause”[32] of her beatification, but that it also depends on the local ecclesial authorities in Ecuador, as set out in the Catholic Church's relevant document, Sanctorum Mater. [33]
    Movie:

Report, shorter:

Very much modern day....very lovely. This impressed me.

As a male, I tend to think some of these films, yes, are more geared towards women... but the Church appeals to all.

I watched some of that St. Philip Neri movie, it was good but seemed a bit oriented towards youth I thought.

But I think most should at least know about Sister Clare Crockett.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    AED likes this.
  2. AED

AED Powers

I would take a pass from the Meryl streep movie. No love for the Church.
    Of God's and Men is supposed to be wonder ful. I havent seen it yet. The Mission is good I thought. The Way is worth a watch. Just my 2 cents.

TinNM likes this.
  3. Jason Fernando

Jason Fernando Archangels

Roe Vs Wade 2021

Wow so many Catholic heroes during the 1970s Abortion wars as shown in this film. Planned Parenthood/ Abortion Advocates singled out the Catholics as their no.1 enemy. You would be proud as a Catholic after watching this film.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    TinNM and AED like this.
  4. TinNM

TinNM Principalities

This was uploaded only May 28th, 2021 and already has over 40,000 views??

They ask women of their experiences on getting an abortion, pretty good movie. I think the film itself is not new, Doctor Martin Luther King's neice Alveda is in it, she's quite a bit younger than nowadays, Alveda has already said something like her daughter or niece are already in the pro-life movement.

That same channel, Christian movies has another pro-life movie, "Alison's Choice", it's okay.

Some years ago, I saw some movie about an abortion survivor, a young woman who goes to meet the mother who tried to abort her, I thought that was pretty good. I can't remember the name.

Jason Fernando likes this.
  5. TinNM

TinNM Principalities

6. TinNM

TinNM Principalities

They shift around movies at that tubitv and as I've said before, I'm not sure if these links will work in Europe and elsewhere....

Vatican Best Films List - IMDb <--- Per 1995, this is the Vatican's list of "great films", not sure if I agree with all of the selections but "CHARIOTS OF FIRE" is on the list....

There is a bit of a sequel to "Chariots of Fire"..."Wings of Eagles", watch at: Watch On Wings of Eagles (2017) - Free Movies | Tubi (tubitv.com) "On Wings of Eagles" about Eric Liddel Eric Liddell - Wikipedia , Olympic runner from "Chariots of Fire", he became a missionary (not a Catholic missionary but Church of Scotland or something similar) and died in a Japanese prison camp. You know, it's not a bad movie and it was made by Chinese Christians, they had to toe carefully how even they presented this story with China's repressive government. This lead actor, Joseph Fiennes is also in "Risen",

[​IMG]

Also, fast forward to about 4:25 on the video below, 45 Christian Missionary Martyrs in China around the year of 1900, short film piece, less than 10 minutes. I'm sure most if not all of these martyrs are from the United Kingdom...this was during that time of the Boxer Rebellion.

7. TinNM

TinNM Principalities

I'm sure plenty of members of the forum have seen "Gospa" on Medjugorje. One common complaint about the movie and it's not really a bad complaint is that it is not really about the message of Medjugorje, it's about the struggle with the Communists, the leaders of Yugoslavia. I had this on videocassette, VCR, I watched it many times. Martin Sheen, Michael York, Morgan Fairchild, Paul Guilfoyle. Acting is no problem. Movies like "Song of Bernadette" and "The Miracle of Our Lady of Fatima" key in on the message of the apparitions and apparition site. I think that is why those two movies are highly regarded. My personal rating would be it's an okay movie.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  8. TinNM

TinNM Principalities

We'd hand out those Miraculous Medals...in the MI, send brochures to hospitals, prisons, place flyers on cars (just for the record, Prisons usually don't allow Miraculous Medals because they are steel, maybe one could fashion a weapon out of such). Very short film below, 16 minutes.

What is the Militia of the Immaculata

International
    militia-immaculatae.org

UK branch seems connected to SSPX... here is one of their magazines, elaborate publication for a magazine.

knight_no.24.pdf (sspx.org)

Just one of the organizations in the US, this is probably the main one but there may be other organizations, people striking out on their own.

Militia of the Immaculata – Official Website of the Militia of the Immaculata USA

I lived With St. Maximilian Kolbe

Lots more on videos, I'll leave it at that.

Well, there is the Shrine, 24 hour webcam. In Illinois.

Audiobook:
    and Then He Smiled - The Story Of Saint Maximilian Kolbe

Jo M and AED like this.
  9. TinNM

TinNM Principalities

For Canada, maybe a bit reminiscent of Solanus Casey here in the US, Brother Andre in Quebec was just, I think, even just a doorman at the Church, no great position of power... but miracles seemed to happen around him. André Bessette - Wikipedia So, he was humble in his station in life.

BROTHER ANDRE The Wonder Man of Mount Royal

I think this movie is dubbed into English from French.

I have a friend really into Brother Andre... Andre had a devotion to St. Joseph, I really should know more about this myself.

André Bessette, C.S.C. (9 August 1845 – 6 January 1937), more commonly known as Brother André (French: Frère André), and since his canonization as Saint André of Montreal, was a lay brother of the Congregation of Holy Cross and a significant figure of the Roman Catholic Church among French-Canadians, credited with thousands of reported miraculous oil healings associated with his pious devotion to Saint Joseph.[1]

Jason Fernando and AED like this.
  10. TinNM

TinNM Principalities

Documentaries, Jim Cavaziel narrates:

Watch The Face of Mercy (2016) - Free Movies | Tubi (tubitv.com)

Watch Guadalupe: The Miracle and the Message (2015) - Free Movies | Tubi (tubitv.com)

I've seen the Tilma with the image of Our Lady of Guadalupe in person, I've read books on it.... I never knew until watching the movie that the image is printed on both sides!! That's pretty astounding. There's always something new to know.

Also covered of course, are the eyes of OLG, I've known that for some time.

The Eyes of Our Lady of Guadalupe (holyhillcross.com)

There's the live webcam, COVID really slowed attendance down. I don't think attendance has recovered yet, in the background is the earlier Basilica. It was closed, see, Mexico City as they say is built on a lake and some buildings there are sinking, problems with the foundation.

------------------

Western actors but...less than an hour long, "Paul The Emissary" is a good Bible-based film, based on Paul's Epistles. Watch Paul the Emissary (1997) - Free Movies | Tubi (tubitv.com)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021 at 2:39 PM