About a year ago I had interviewed for the position of Catholic Chaplain at a local nursing home during which I stressed I could not indiscriminately distribute Holy Communion to all in attendance since for the most part I would personally know the non-Catholics. I knew the Protestant interviewer because I had volunteered at that institution. She didn't bat an eye, but still made the choice to hire a deacon instead of me, for my ordination had not taken place, yet. I certainly considered that a impartial decision and was not put out. The position opened up this past May and the previous interviewer sought me out to accept the job which I was pleased to do. I consider the nursing home one of the best in the Syracuse area. However, I found out that a wonderful Protestant resident has approached and requested to be added to the list of those receiving Holy Communion. I was notified that I should agree since acquiescing to the "reasonable" desires of the residents is of paramount importance. I'm surprised given the previous interviewer knew of my stand yet appears to be ignoring it. Please pray for this situation since I will refuse to be put in a position of violating my conscience. It is difficult because most non-Catholics and even some Catholics consider my decision to be too legalistic. Thanks. Safe in the Refuge of the Immaculate Heart!
I will pray for you Mario. This is dicey because of PF’s push to include Protestants in Holy Communion under certain conditions. Could you talk to the lady who has requested this? Maybe one on one you could explain the Church’s guidelines? Anyway—prayers going up for you tonight.
Yes, perhaps you could offer her a blessing instead of Holy Communion, and explain this to the interviewer that this is not what the Church permits, and is not acceptable for a Catholic. Prayers.
In the back of our missalette, there is a disclaimer about receiving Holy Communion ( like for folks who come to funerals and weddings, and just do not know the canons). Perhaps you could show her this. Prayers going up for you. You can do this. God Himself is with you.
https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/...arist/guidelines-for-receiving-holy-communion You might want to print this out and give copies to the employer there, and to others who need to see these guidelines. These are not YOUR rules. Let them see the rules.
What an awkward situation. Could you have a chat with the priest who will give you the consecrated Hosts and have him give you something in writing to say that only Catholics can receive Catholic Communion and that the lady's desire is not reasonable since she isn't a Catholic. Perhaps you could offer to pray with her instead. Do you know whether she has been given Holy Communion in the past? If she has, it will make matters even more difficult for you. Can the Nursing Home not get a Protestant pastor to see to the lady's spiritual needs?
Courage and strength are yours, as you are doing the works of our Father. Prayers for your fortitude. Many blessings.
You are 100% in the right on this. Safeguarding Our Lord is one of your primary duties. I am sorry you have been put in this situation. I fear things will get worse in the coming years. Praying for you.
Your sacrifice and courage is notable Mario and I have great respect and admiration for you in your chosen vocation considering these times. Clearly you are not a seeker of pleasure as so many are in these days. Our Lord fore warned us that we would suffer at the hands of this world. I will keep you in my prayers. God Bless you. Remember what Paul said; Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 3 Not only that, but we even boast of our afflictions, knowing that affliction produces endurance, and endurance, proven character, and proven character, hope 5 and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out into our hearts through the holy Spirit that has been given to us.
I wonder, was this woman possibly Baptized into the Church at a young age? Could she be catechized and brought to the Truth? Something to consider in all of this...
Don, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe you could meet with her privately before the service, acknowledge her desire to receive the Eucharist, and ask if she'd be interested in taking RCIA classes. Prayers for you Mario! When do you go?
By the way, my husband has worked in long term healthcare as an adminstrator and upper management for over 25 years. I find it ludicrous that this nursing home would be so presumptive as to tell you that you need to agree just to keep the resident happy. I'm not sure if you are a volunteer or a hired chaplain, but I bet they don't presume to tell doctors, nutritionists, physical therapists, and other such trained specialists how to do their job. They are really over-stepping their bounds here. I'm impressed by your fortitude Mario! God will reward your faithfulness.
Perhpas God is preventing you from being put in an impossible situation right from the very start , Terry. But prayers during the day. I was interviewed as a Samritan Counseller many years ago and they asked me what I would do if a lady asked me for an abortion cnetre referral ; I told them I would not give it. They asked me if I was not being Judgemental? I told them if the lady asked me for the address of a hitman to kill er husband I would not give it; so why would I give her the address of people seeking to murder her unborn child? Needless to say I got they big thumbs down. I recall with relish the look of horror in their non judgemental eyes as I spoke. But it worked out well in the end , they would never have put up with me for a second.