what is your life mission?

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by PotatoSack, Oct 7, 2011.

1. MomsCalling

MomsCalling Principalities

Wow. Thank you for that Freedom.
    I still think I should be working though and now I think I should be a teacher. It is a compromise as I will have summers and holidays off to take care of my family. My kids are gone but my grandkids are now here and I need time to travel to see them. And my parents need me more now too. Teaching fits this better. Less money, but more time for the important things. Another thing I love is gardening. Teaching is much more condusive to gardening than any of my other jobs were. It brings me peace to work in the garden. And to teach this to my grandkids! And then in the fall, teach others' children. I am praying so hard for God to help me with this change. It seems right! I seem to have been ignoring this calling for all these years. He had me teaching in the early 80's, but then I walked away in search of more money and travel.

Freedom likes this.
  2. PotatoSack

PotatoSack Powers

I only noticed recently the additional responses on this thread.

Border collie - would love to hear your thoughts on this topic. Looking forward to your post!!

Freedom - Sounds like you've had an interesting career while raising your kids. Funny you say that it just evolved with little or no effort from you...that's the way it used to be with me!! You can do so much with a nursing background though. To me, nursing is a calling, like being a fire fighter. You are very lucky to have that background!

MomsCalling - how goes the battle? I'm hoping you've found a teaching gig!

Freedom likes this.
  3. I love this thread. I keep thinking how deep and contemplative all of you are! Mario, we are all called to be a Priest, Prophet and King at our Baptism. Male and Female. There are many good homilies out there by Holy Priests who explain it better than I can. Its a well known phrase within the Eastern Catholic verbiage.

The question of what is our mission in life and how did we know. My first thought was: I was meant to be a garage sale junkie. That is not far from the truth. Life is like a treasure hunt to me, and I am sincerely very lucky! Since I was a child I could 'find' things for people. My mother used to say, "Have you seen this? This is missing." I would close my eyes and see it. Later, it became more of a customer service oriented situation. What can I do for you? Then I'd find the answer. Then as I got married and Christ and His Mother made their presence more known to me I realized that I was to give my life for Priests through my motherhood/marriage/sorrows etc. In this time I continued to 'find' things for people by starting two non-profit organizations called Help for Unwed Mothers and Help for Needy families. The military families overseas did not have thrift shops that were conducive to their needs and many families would literally throw good stuff out into the dumpsters etc. before they moved. I became the only Officer's wife who was a dumpster diver. I discovered that God worked with me and through me by asking people what they needed, they wrote it down on my list or called me; I would pray about it, and it would appear. Someone would donate it to me, it would appear in a dumpster or something like that. As I have raised my seven kids and moved around I continued to use this gift. I know that I am suppose to write. I knew that at an early age since I have had a journal since I was 11 years old. I know I am suppose to talk. Which I do well and often. I don't say much unless its about Jesus and Mary.

I now understand so much more now as I have gotten older. I look back and see my sins, my relationships and my trials and I praise God that I am HERE---RIGHT NOW. I more than ever now see that I am doing God's Holy Will. I am exactly where He wants me to be. I continue to 'find things' and could write a book on 'GOD'S PROVIDENTIAL LOVE'.

Last summer I got 57 chickens, 2 goats, 4 ducks and a great dog off of Craigslist--all free. We ate the chickens and goats and got rid of the 4 ducks and love the dog. My husband wanted brown gutters for our roof and white gutters for our apt. roof, for water runoff into our rain barrels. I asked him how soon he needed them. He laughed and said, "It will be a miracle to find them at all so why ask when?" TWO DAYS LATER, I was on the computer and lo and behold, got a message on my email for FREECYCLE (google it) and someone said, "I have brown gutters and white gutters...anyone want them?" I jumped into our truck and went and got them. My husband is always amazed, as am I. God DESIRES OUR TOTAL TRUST THAT HE WILL PROVIDE. HE has proved it time and time again to me.

I talk to Jesus and Mary nonstop in my mind and heart. As all of you know, we have to pray, its our responsibility. OUT OF LOVE, WE MUST PRAY. I have no doubt, God will provide in the time of famine and want. We must be disciplined and molded in the fire of suffering and turned into gold. An image of Him. We truly must be like children and ask. TRUST. Be Grateful and always THANK HIM FOR OUR LIFE.

I have seen myself, like Mother Cabrini, lift up rocks in the desert and there was water. I wait for that day. I know if He wills it, it can be done. BELIEVE IN MIRACLES!

Freedom likes this.
  4. Freedom

Freedom Angels

I'm completely with you on that one, mothersuperior. I know that feeling. I haven't found what I'm supposed to writing about yet, but I know that one day God will show me. And I know that I'm able to express myself, and it's that need inside ourselves that draws us to post on forums like this.

I know I can sound a bit evangelical about the future, I whole-heartedly believe there will be a reversal in society. In fact most recently I attended a conference organised by our local council called "Building stronger communities", it was so inspiring, now I know there are people who share that vision. I was absolutely thrilled to discover the Alzheimers Society produced a report at the end of March "Dementia 2012". At the very heart of the report is the call for communities to work together to understand; " a major shift in societal awareness and understanding about dementia". Now we've got to make it happen, I've no idea how we are going to do that. For example, I've lost count of the number of people who ask me what the difference is between Alzheimers and dementia. There is a very long way to go but, in my heart, I have a feeling that I may well be at the centre of making it happen. I've only been working in this area for two years but I find myself so comfortable God must have placed me here.

I love the way you talk about "finding things" MS, that truly is a gift. I wonder could you find my house keys for me? I can't find them anywhere, I've had the entire family looking for them all week, I mustn't be praying hard enough...:)

5. Freedom, ask our Lord to show you in a dream. The 'joke' in my family is "Mom has so many 'safe' places for things she doesn't know where things are. I have to have dreams to find the VISA I put somewhere safe...lol Sometimes things are just 'out of our reach'. I will say a prayer that you find them.

My dad has Alzeimers and he lived with us for 3 and a half years. I wouldn't give away that time in my life for anything. He has a terrific sense of humor. He was accepted to a veterans home in Mo.;where he is from. I had trepidations until I got there,they do fantastic work. Its a place that I would go to ! I also want to tell you something miraculous that our good Lord gave me. I used to get long letters from my dad growing up after my parent's divorce. He was always a prolific writer and I cherish those letters. He has lost his ability to write more than one sentence. He just repeats words, and it comes out jibberish. I was having a very hard time letting go and walking away. I kept asking our Lord to open wide the doors if it was His will, and if not; close the doors. While I was there, I bought a journal and asked him to write one sentence in it. I wanted him to write "Dear Martha, I love you. Dad" , so I handed him my book and he started writing and writing and writing. He handed the book back to me and I broke into tears. He wrote perfectly, "Marti and Ed, I love you both and will never be able to repay you for all your kindness. Take care of each other and write when you can. I love the facilities and the food is great. Tell Ben and Lydia that I already miss them and love them. Love, Grandpa

Truly, it was the greatest gift for our whole family. I was filled with peace and left him my angels to protect him and went home. My husband had to wipe the tears from his eyes when he read what he wrote. We do miss him. He is one of a kind and I was privileged to take care of him. What he lacked in being a good father, he made up for being my friend and I really, really got to know him. He has the greatest sense of humor of anyone I know. We spent a lot of time laughing. We should all be so lucky. Give all to our Lord. Mind, Body and Soul. Ask Him to let you keep your sense of humor--not for your sake, but for those who take care of you!

Lee likes this.
  6. Lee

Lee Principalities

Beautiful!

7. Hi PS, I will post on this topic just as soon as I get my head together.. Has been a busy couple of weeks plus my computer decided to act up but hopefully it's all sorted now :D

God bless
    BC

8. garabandal

garabandal Powers

Our life's mission is to become a saint.:)

Lee likes this.