1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Signs

Discussion in 'The Signs of the Times' started by themilitantcatholic, Sep 3, 2015.

1. sterph

sterph Principalities

I don't think I can take 12 more years of decline. Ugh!

sunburst, Heidi, Shae and 5 others like this.
  2. Byron

Byron Principalities

Stay strong. Continue praying the Rosary. It will help you through the storm.

sunburst, Seagrace, DeGaulle and 7 others like this.
  3. Messaggio della Madonna di Zaro del 08.03.2015 - dato a Simona

"There will be a great schism in the church and the true christians, who really loves Me, will suffer a lot..."

Messaggio della Madonna di Zaro del 26 giugno 2014 - dato ad Angela

"Pray a lot for Pope Francis, hard times await him..."

"My daughter, there will be in St. Peter's a serious and tremendous division: see the walls are stained with blood, the blood of the martyrs; there will be an uproar. If you do not pray, all of this will happen very soon.

"The dome of St. Peter's was full of smoke. Peoples in turmoil gathered in St. Peter's, people in riot. There were races that clashed with each other. It was dark, there was no light, many fought and many were lying on the ground lifeless. The dragon passed among the corpses and laughed; He was very happy. People were trying to talk to each other, but they don't understand each other. The earth was shaking, trembling all over."

4. Steve79

Steve79 New Member

I feel the same way.
    I hope for a sign tomorrow, but I do not expect it.

Seagrace and Shae like this.
  5. DeGaulle

DeGaulle Powers

Nobel-prize winning artist, Bob Dylan, who became a Christian in 1979 (and despite the claims of disapproving Jews and secularists to the contrary, remains one) is about to release a box-set of previously-unreleased material from that period. It's all Gospel music of the highest quality. Included is a song that I had never heard before nor even heard of, called Making a Liar Out of Me.

Here are the lyrics (as transcribed by another Dylan enthusiast, and which must be understood as being narrated by Our Lord):

MAKING A LIAR OUT OF ME
    By Bob Dylan

I tell people, you're just going through changes
    And that you're acquainted both with night and day
    That your money's good and you're just being courageous
    On them burning bridges knowing your feet are made of clay
    Well I say you won't be destroyed by your inventions
    That you brought it all under captivity
    And that you really do have all the best intentions
    But you're making a liar out of me

Well I say that you're just young and self-tormented
    But that deep down you understand
    The hopes and fears and dreams of the discontented
    That threaten now to overtake your promised land
    Well I say that you'd not sow discord among brothers
    Nor drain a man of his integrity
    That you remember the cries of orphans and their mothers

Well I say that, that ain't flesh and blood you're drinking
    In the wounded empire of your fool's paradise
    With A light above your head forever blinking
    Turning virgins into merchandise
    That you must have been beautiful when you were living
    You remind me of some old-time used-to-be
    I say you can be trusted with the power you been given

So many things so hard to say as you stumble
    To take refuge in your offices of shame
    As the earth beneath my feet begins to rumble
    And your young men die for nothin', not even fame
    I say that someday you'll begin to trust us
    And that your conscience not been slain by conformity
    That you stand up unafraid to believe in justice
    You're making a liar out of me

Well I can hear the sound of distant thunder
    From an open window at the end of every hall
    Now that you're gone I got to wonder
    If you ever were here at all
    I say you never sacrificed my children
    To some false god of infidelity
    And that it's not the Tower of Babel that you're building
    You're making a liar out of me
    Well you're making a liar out of me

Another Dylan enthusiast provides the following analysis:

"I don't think that Making a Liar Out of Me is directed to any one
    person, not even a fictional one. Dylan here employs the same
    perspective as he does in Property of Jesus and When You Gonna
    Wake Up, Dead Man, and Watered Down Love: he addresses the
    unfaithful, apostate 'world' as a person. Hence accusations of sins such
    as sacrificing children to false gods, ignoring the orphans and building
    the tower of Babel can be levied.

In scripture this was common practice, especially in the Old Testament.
    Check Ezekiel 16, Hosea 2 and Jeremiah 2-5 for extended monologues
    about the Nation of Israel as a wayward unfaithful wife.

And it's that angle that is picked, in my opinion, in the case of this
    particular song. A well known scripture in the New Testament says
    'He who does not believe God has made Him a liar'. There are more
    bible references that labour on this point ('Let God be true and every
    man a liar', among others).

We're still in the hard core Christian phase here, along with about half
    of Shot of Love, and the song is full (did I want to say riddled?) with
    scripture references. I mention Shot of Love because this is from Oct
    1980, and would, if finished and released, have ended up on that album.

Verse 1 'Feet of clay' originated from Daniel 2:33
    'Destroyed by your inventions' Deut 28:20 'You will be destroyed because
    of the wickedness of your inventions'

Verse 2 The 'promised land', and its conquest and defense are throughout
    Old Testament scripture but especially in Joshua 1-24.
    'sow discord among brothers' Literal quotation of Proverbs 6:19 (he who
    soweth discord among brethren')
    Remember the cries of the orphans and their mothers Job 29:12 'I saved
    the needy who cried and the orphan' Psalm 9:12 'He does not forget the cry of
    the poor'.

Verse 3 Flesh and blood you're drinking John 6:54 'He who eats my flesh and
    drinks my blood has eternal life'
    Turning virgins into merchandise Nehemiah 5:5 'We are forced to sell our
    children as slaves, some of our daughters are already sold off' Joel 3:8
    'You have sold your sons and daughters'

Verse 4 Rumbling earth. At least 45 references on the earth trembling, often
    as an apocalyptic sign of impending judgment. Hebrews 12:26 'Once more will
    I make the earth to tremble'
    Stand up unafraid to believe in justice Job 11:14,15 'If you put iniquity away
    you will stand firm without fear'.

Verse 5 Sacrificing children to false gods. Unsurprisingly many references here,
    mostly to Moloch and Baal. Jerm 19:5 'They built altars to Baal to sacrifice their
    children to him in the fire' Ex 16:36 'You worshipped disgusting idols and sacrificed
    your children as offerings'.
    The Tower of Babel is a Bible story found in Genesis 11:1-9. Man started to build
    a tower to heaven. God destroyed the tower eventually and confused the language
    of the builders, thus causing the phenomenon of multiple languages.

All that to say that there's just too much here. A very obvious reading of Making
    a Liar, the most obvious one, is as a prophetic song from God's perspective to and
    about the unfaithful earthlings...".

I'm a serious Dylan enthusiast and have been for a long time and so am somewhat biased, but I think I can legitimately assert that the lines of this song represent an example of modern, properly orthodox, Christian poetry that nobody else seems to be giving us. How many pop-singers release songs that condemn abortion?

6. earthtoangels

earthtoangels Powers

Yes, Fatima, wow! I went back and reread that whole commentary by Luz, "the instrument", and the whole thing is as you say, "urgent" indeed:

COMMENTARY BY THE INSTRUMENT

Brothers and Sisters:

Our Lord Jesus Christ clearly defines what His Word is in order to leave no room for doubts or interpretation of events according to man's free will.

After the Warning, many brothers who are angry and not dismayed, but, I repeat, angry against God for the suffering they have gone through, attack those brothers and sisters who are repentant and begging God for forgiveness. I saw a great persecution unleashed.

During the Message, our Beloved Jesus clearly showed me the Vatican. I saw the blood of priests, lay and religious, since he allowed me to see their clothes clearly. At the same time I saw a person dressed in white whom they were killing and another dressed in white fleeing between people who were putting a cloth over his clothes so that he would not be recognized by those who were seeking him. I saw that they wounded him, but not mortally, and he managed to leave Italy. I saw the map clearly. (speaking of both current "popes" living at Vatican??)

We cannot continue thinking that God's Mercy is permissive regarding sin.

It is painful to know what man is going to suffer. It is not an easy thing to see so much pain. CONSOLATION IS TO BE FOUND PRECISELY IN CHRIST AND IN OUR MOTHER, WHO INTERCEDE FOR US.

At the end of this Message, our Lord Jesus Christ took me to see OUR MOTHER WHO, ARRAYED AS OUR LADY OF GUADALUPE WITH HER GARMENT SHINING LIKE THE SUN, TOGETHER WITH THE HOLY ARCHANGELS WAS OVERCOMING SATAN AND HIS LEGIONS. (I believe that in other Luz messages our Lady of Guadalupe is called both the "Woman Clothed with the Sun" as well as the Woman for these end times.)

For the good of the children of God, and confident that evil will not prevail over the faithful People, and praying that we might continue striving to convert, our faith must grow and not diminish.

BECAUSE GOD IS GREAT AND THERE IS NO OTHER god GREATER THAN HIM.

Amen.

Fatima, HeavenlyHosts and DeGaulle like this.
  7. earthtoangels

earthtoangels Powers

Fatima:
    I am keeping my eye on a prophecy given to Verne Dagenais in the book www.godspeakswillyoulisten.org about Pope Benedict. He and Pope Francis could be the two "dressed in white" that Luz de Maria's vision showed her on 9/28/17.

And this could also tie in with the vision that left the children with what Lucia called (only) the "impression" of that "Bishop in white" being the Pope....and not specifically named as with the other Fatima message where a named Pope was given in the time line. And it's logical for the current times of two men using the title of "Pope", both dressing in white, with separate distinguishing factors, both living at the Vatican.

Also, other than what was alluded to about the King of France in referencing that 100 year period, I don't see any emphasis in the messages given during the period given for the Fatima apparitions themselves pointing to a limited period for the Consecration of Russia, being now assumed as well to be 100 years.....only that it would come "late". With everything taking place in the world today which make conditions worse than ever before where the previous purification of the world became necessary, it would seem that this "late" could mean that all of the opportunities to prevent all that has already occurred just in the 20th century, being squandered by the Church, it will now take perhaps what is given at Garabandal....called a completion of Fatima itself (along with Medjugorje).....being "the cup already having overflowed" and the new warnings about Russia and Communism coming again....it will now take this kind of horrific new suffering, persecution of the Church, et al predicted for people calling for the only solution given....THE Consecration of Russia. And this "awakening" of human nature itself could easily involve not only Catholics but many others in the world who obviously know Fatima better than anything else they may know about the Catholic faith may also be desperate for the given solution. This would then make the Mother, THE Lady of so many apparitions, known to the whole world and given the honor due to her as the Father wills in these end times....her times!

Fatima likes this.
  8. earthtoangels

earthtoangels Powers

Just received this in email re: Firestorm in Napa:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dear Loreto Supporters,

We have just returned from the 12th Annual Napa Valley Catholic Men’s Conference. The theme was Fatima and the ongoing nature of the Message and the Revelations. Fr. Zuhlsdorf was among the featured speakers, all of whom were excellent.

This Friday, the 100th anniversary of the miracle of the sun, the Diocese of Santa Rosa was planning a candlelight procession through the city to the Cathedral of St. Eugene. That may or may not take place now because of the tragic firestorm that swept through Napa and Sonoma Counties while we were there. However, the Diocese WILL be consecrated to the Immaculate Heart on December 12th. The Cathedral was only a few blocks away from the end of the fire line, but was spared. The devastation was widespread in Sonoma county where Santa Rosa, a city of 200,000, is located. Fifteen lives were lost so far and over 1500 buildings, homes, farms, vineyards, shopping centers and hotels were destroyed. The fires are still largely uncontained and sweeping through the bay area north of San Francisco. Prayers for the people there are needed.

As traditional Catholics, the staff of Loreto is impressed by the life of the Diocese there and the growing number of celebrations of the traditional Mass that are taking place in the Santa Rosa diocese. We were staying with friends in the Napa Valley, and Sunday night we were awakened by the firestorm that was ignited from downed power lines due to the 50-70 mph winds that swept through the area Sunday night. Watching our Catholic friends, who farm a vineyard there, water their fields and barns in the hopes that they could save their property from the firestorm was very sobering. One elderly member of the farm family said to me, as we watched the apocalyptic scene unfold throughout the night, “this is God’s cleansing and purifying power at work.”

The hills surrounding the Napa valley were ablaze and the fires ripped over the landscape at a terrifying pace, coming within 3 miles from the farm where we were staying. Evacuation was an imminent possibility all through the night. Thank God we were spared, but many in the valley and on the surrounding Atlas mountains were not, including many Catholic families.

Let us pray that the firestorm that has been ripping the Church recently will prove to be purifying and cleansing as well........

In cordibus Jesus et Mariae,

The Staff at Loreto Publications

9. earthtoangels

earthtoangels Powers

A rather apocalyptic scenario. So much scriptural imagery I think. If anyone doubts we're in the minor chastisement....well...and it's being spelled out for us in order to begin mitigation for what is coming next:

Boiling river of wine flows through burned down California winery

A scalding torrent of copper-colored wine flowed among burned wine barrels and charred fermented tanks at a California winery after flames swept through the area Tuesday, part of the devastating wildfires wreaking havoc on wine country.

The blaze engulfed Paradise Ridge Winery in Santa Rosa, owned by Rene Byke, and burned barrels of wine and equipment. The owners of the winery confirmed the fire, saying they were “heartbroken” and “appreciate everyone’s well wishes.”

Photos of the aftermath showed a bubbling underground river of wine flowing through the area where the winery once stood, with scorched wine bottles lying on top of each other and wine leaking from singed tanks.

Speedy, wind-driven wildfires came as workers in Napa and Sonoma counties were picking and processing ripe grapes to make Chardonnay, Merlot and other wines that have made the region a global hot spot. Millions of locals and out-of-staters flock to the counties every year to sample wine, sit in mud baths and soak in the region's natural beauty.

[​IMG]
    A boiling river of wine flows underneath smoldering debris at the Paradise Ridge Winery in Santa Rosa, California on Tuesday. (Getty Images)

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/1...ws-through-burned-down-california-winery.html

10. earthtoangels

earthtoangels Powers

11. Carol55

Carol55 Powers

etoa,

Thank you for posting those. I read that Fox news article yesterday and I was going to post it today, it took me awhile to find it but I did then I got side-tracked. The way they describe the following "copper-colored wine flowed" reminded me of blood, not good. Here is another article about the fires in California,
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...fires-kill-21-create-boiling-river-wine-burn/ . Many people are calling it apocalyptic.

[​IMG]

Here is part of the very sad story of the fires there,

"Entire residential neighborhoods have been reduced to blackened rubble in parts of northern California as smoke cloaks the land and turns the sky orange.
    The dead include a married couple of 75 years, who were found in the charred remains of their home.

Mike Rippey said his brother discovered the bodies of his 100-year-old father Charles, who appeared to be heading to the room of his 98-year-old mother Sara, when he was overcome by smoke and flames.

"My father certainly wouldn't have left her," he said in the ruins of their home in Napa, where they lived for 35 years.

The couple met in primary school in Wisconsin and had been together ever since.

Mr. Rippey, 71, said he and his four siblings could not imagine either parent living alone. "We knew there's no way they would ever be happy, whoever was the last one. So they went together, and that's the way it worked," he said. "

In looking for that article this morning I came across a similar one to the last one that you posted. https://www.inverse.com/article/372...a-wildfires-caused-this-morning-s-red-sunrise which states the following, "As the sun rose through the smoke on Monday morning, the sky glowed bloody red."

[​IMG]
    Massive California Wildfire Creates Terrifying Red Sunrise
    This isn't your average sunrise.

Prayers for the dead, may they RIP. Prayers for all those dealing with this.​

HeavenlyHosts likes this.
  12. earthtoangels

earthtoangels Powers

Yes, Carol, I too thought of the blood....esp. in the rivers of blood from Kibeho....and then with the wine being so symbolic for the fruit of life in all times. They were in the midst of picking the grapes as the mountain of fire began coming upon them! And "Justice" is also held within the Mercy of the Blood of Christ within the appearance of wine! It would almost seem that the Heart of Jesus (and Mary) is overflowing with Mercy for the world while no one asks for it for the real solution for the world now....so perhaps the justice then is being what is witnessed instead, still to compel souls to turn to their Creator and God.

13. earthtoangels

earthtoangels Powers

About Pope Benedict XV's "connection" to Fatima....and why some believe that Pope B XVI chose that name as well, knowing as he even commented that Fatima continues and is being played out today.....since nothing has been done fulfilling the specific request of OLOF....it is as if we remain somewhat today in the same position as in the XV's time when he knew the only answer for peace was through the Mother....and she came to answer his concerns:

Pope Benedict XV Demands World Peace (May 5, 1917)
    In 1917 the First World War was raging, without showing any sure sign of concluding peacefully. By this time the Holy Father, Pope Benedict XV, who had been in the diplomatic service of the Vatican, had exhausted all of the natural means in his power to bring about peace, but to no avail. Realizing the limited power of even Papal diplomacy, the tired and frail Pope turned to the Blessed Mother of God, through Whom all graces are dispensed. He urgently requested all Christians to beg the Virgin Mary to obtain peace in the world, and to solemnly entrust the task to Her alone.

The Pope wrote of his plea for peace in a letter dated May 5, 1917:

Our earnestly pleading voice, invoking the end of the vast conflict, the suicide of civilized Europe, was then and has remained ever since unheard. Indeed, it seemed that the dark tide of hatred grew higher and wider among the belligerent nations, and drew other countries into its frightful sweep, multiplying ruin and massacre. Nevertheless Our confidence was not lessened .... Since all graces which the Author of all good deigns to grant to the poor children of Adam, by a loving design of His Divine Providence are dispensed through the hands of the most holy Virgin, we wish that the petition of Her most afflicted children, more than ever in this terrible hour, may turn with lively confidence to the august Mother of God. 1
    He wished the world to have recourse to the Heart of Jesus through the mediation of Mary, and he ordered that the invocation Queen of Peace, pray for us be permanently added to the Litany of Loreto. Then, confidently placing the peace of the world in Her hands, the Pope made another appeal:

To Mary, then, who is the Mother of Mercy and omnipotent by grace, let loving and devout appeal go up from every corner of the earth – from noble temples and tiniest chapels, from royal palaces and mansions of the rich as from the poorest hut – from blood-drenched plains and seas. Let it bear to Her the anguished cry of mothers and wives, the wailing of innocent little ones, the sighs of every generous heart: that Her most tender and benign solicitude may be moved and the peace we ask for be obtained for our agitated world. 2
    The Blessed Mother responded quickly to this agonizing plea of the Pope and the Christian people. Only eight days later, at Fatima, the Virgin Mary came in response to the cries raised to Her from a warring world. She came to demonstrate Her maternal care for us, and that, as Mediatrix of all Graces, She alone can show us the way to peace. In order to grant this favor, though, She requires our cooperation. She requires that each one of us obey Her requests for prayer and penance, and that the Pope and bishops obey Her request for the Consecration of Russia.

While the Blessed Virgin responded to the Holy Father only eight days after he appealed to Her, the Virgin still awaits worldwide prayer and penance, and the fulfillment of the collegial Consecration of Russia. How sad it is that so many years later Her simple requests have still not been fully obeyed.

http://www.fatima.org/essentials/facts/PopeBenXV.asp

AED likes this.
  14. DeGaulle

DeGaulle Powers

Thank you earthtoangels for continually keeping us updated with the events that matter.

HeavenlyHosts and AED like this.
  15. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Archangels

I don't know the timeline
    I never did know the timeline
    I'm not sure anyone does
    But I do trust that Pope Leo XIII did indeed have that vision
    He instituted the prayers after Mass to St Michael
    So like much of prophecy, much remains to be seen
    Thanks for your input
    Did not know about the hospice he built

Dolours, Fatima, DeGaulle and 2 others like this.
  16. Carol55

Carol55 Powers

Palestinian factions Hamas and Fatah end split on Gaza
    October 12, 2017
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-41591450

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Thessalonians+5&version=DRA
    1 Thessalonians 5:3 (DRA) For when they shall say, peace and security; then shall sudden destruction come upon them, as the pains upon her that is with child, and they shall not escape.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...am-as-floods-landslides-kill-46-idUSKBN1CH0CA
    Thousands evacuated in Vietnam as floods, landslides kill 46
    October 12, 2017 Mai Nguyen
    HANOI (Reuters) - Heavy rain in northern and central Vietnam triggered floods and landslides that killed 46 people and 33 people were missing in the worst such disaster in years, the search and rescue committee said on Thursday.

[​IMG]
    People watch as Hoa Binh hydroelectric power plant opens the flood gates after a heavy rainfall caused by a tropical depression in Hoa Binh province, outside Hanoi, Vietnam October 12, 2017. REUTERS/Kham

Vietnam often suffers destructive storms and floods due to its long coastline. More than 200 people were killed in storms last year.

“In the past 10 years, we haven’t suffered from such severe and intense floods,” state-run Vietnam Television quoted agriculture minister Nguyen Xuan Cuong as saying.

A typhoon tore a destructive path across central Vietnam just last month, flooding and damaging homes and knocking out power lines.

The latest floods hit Vietnam on Monday.

“Our entire village has had sleepless nights...it’s impossible to fight against this water, it’s the strongest in years,” a resident in northwestern Hoa Binh province was quoted by VTV as saying.

Vietnam’s Central Steering Committee for Natural Disaster Prevention and Control said authorities were discharging water from dams to control water levels.

Some 317 homes had collapsed, while more than 34,000 other houses were submerged or had been damaged.

[​IMG]
    People watch as Hoa Binh hydroelectric power plant opens the flood gates after a heavy rainfall caused by a tropical depression in Hoa Binh province, outside Hanoi, Vietnam October 12, 2017. REUTERS/Kham

Earlier reports said more than 8,000 hectares (19,800 acres) of rice had been damaged and around 40,000 animals were killed or washed away.

Hoa Binh province in the northwest declared a state of emergency and opened eight gates to discharge water at Hoa Binh dam, Vietnam’s largest hydroelectric dam, the first time it has done so in years, VTV reported.

[​IMG]
    Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc visited northern Ninh Binh province where water levels in the Hoang Long river are their highest since 1985.

Rising sea levels are also threatening Vietnam’s more than 3,260 km (2,000 mile) coastline, resulting in increased flooding of low lying coastal regions, erosion and salt water intrusion.

Floods have also affected seven of 77 provinces in Thailand, Vietnam’s neighbor to the west, the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation said on Thursday. More than 480,000 hectares (1.2 million acres) of agricultural land have been hit, the department said.

Thailand is the world’s second-biggest exporter of rice.

“It is still too soon to tell whether there will be damage to rice crops because most of the rice has already been harvested,” Charoen Laothamatas, president of the Thai Rice Exporters Association, told Reuters.

In 2011, Thailand was hit by its worst flooding in half a century. The floods killed hundreds and crippled industry, including the country’s key automotive sector.

Additional reporting by Mi Nguyen in HANOI and; Suphanida Thakral in BANGKOK; Editing by Amy Sawitta Lefevre, Neil Fullick and Nick Macfie

AND Dolours was right about South Africa....

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-south-africas-durban-port-remains-closed-after-severe-storm-2017-10
    Severe storm blows giant container ship into Durban harbor, closing South Africa's largest port
    Tanisha Heiberg, Reuters Oct. 11, 2017
    [​IMG]
    A container ship blocks the harbour mouth in Durban, South Africa, October 10, 2017 in this still image obtained from a social media video. BLUE SECURITY via REUTERS

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - South Africa's largest port remains closed on Wednesday after vessel movements were suspended when a severe storm lashed the coastal region resulting in at least eight deaths in the province, a port official said.

The Durban Port manager Moshe Motlohi told Reuters it was still too early to assess the extent or costs of damages to sub-Saharan Africa's largest port, which is a key transit point for commodities such as maize.

"It's going to take a few days to access how much was involved in terms of cost," said Motlohi.

Three vessels were grounded, containers had blown into the bay and mooring lines were broken in the channel in the Port of Durban on Monday, the Transnet National Ports Authority said in a statement.

The KwaZulu-Natal provincial officials confirmed on Wednesday that at least eight people had died as a result of the storm with further reports of missing people.

Motlohi could not estimate when the port would be opened again but said it is unlikely it will open on Wednesday.

17. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Archangels

DeGaulle, it may interest you to know that there is a small movement afoot to memorialize Hattie Carroll in Charles County, MD
    (The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll by Bob Dylan)
    The late William Zantzinger was from Charles County
    He served 6 months in the caning death of Hattie Carroll
    Apparently the opposing faction does not want the memorial because Hattie Carroll was from another county (!)
    I tried to find a link to send
    I read it on a local news link
    Let me see if I can find it
    The tragic story of Hattie Carroll has always saddened me
    I love the song about her

AED and DeGaulle like this.
  18. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Archangels

• Charles County
    • 09/23/2017
    • By Marty Madden
    [​IMG]
    Hattie Carroll

La Plata, MD - On a split vote taken during their Sept. 19 meeting, the Charles County Commissioners approved a resolution to honor an African-American woman killed 54 years ago by a wealthy white county resident. The proposal forwarded by Commissioner Ken Robinson [D – District 1] would commemorate the 1963 death of Hattie Carroll by naming the pedestrian walkway running through the Charles County Government complex in her honor.

[​IMG]

Carroll was working as a barmaid at the Emerson Hotel in Baltimore Feb. 9, 1963 when she was attacked by 24-year-old William Zantzinger of Charles County. The hotel was hosting an event dubbed “The Spinsters’ Ball.” Zantzinger, who was reportedly drunk, began peppering Carroll with racial insults and assaulted her with a cane. She sustained severe head injuries and died hours later. Zantzinger was charged with second-degree assault. That charge was later reduced to manslaughter. Attorneys for the wealthy landowner-tobacco farmer were able to get Zantzinger’s trial moved to Hagerstown. He received a six-month sentence. The sentence was handed down the same day as the historic March on Washington. One of the march’s more famous attendees, singer/songwriter Bob Dylan, read accounts of the case and wrote a song based on it. “The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll” was released on Dylan’s “Times They Are a-Changin’ ” album, which was released in 1964.

Robinson said the gesture of naming something in the county in Carroll’s honor was appropriate because she was killed by “a racist who called Charles County home. This is a way to acknowledge how wrong it was.” According to Robinson, members of Carroll’s family have agreed to come to La Plata for a ceremony tentatively scheduled for next month.

[​IMG]

Commissioner Debra Davis [D - District 2] (pictured, left) took issue with Robinson’s proposal. “No disrespect to the Carroll family, but we need to honor someone from Charles County,” said Davis. She noted that during the early 1960s when Charles County was segregated, local African-Americans, including her father, were clamoring for change and proactive in the Civil Rights movement. “There has been push-back [to Robinson’s resolution],” Davis noted. “The community does not support this.”

[​IMG]

Commissioner Amanda Stewart [D - District 3] (pictured, right) sided with Robinson, calling the naming of the walkway a move to “reach out and acknowledge a wrong.” Stewart added that “there is not a limit of the people we can recognize. We should think forward. Let’s not say ‘no’ for this walkway.”

Robinson further explained that there will be no monument involved in the project—just a sign designating the pedestrian right-of-way the “Hattie Carroll Walkway.”
    Commissioner Bobby Rucci [D - District 4] concurred with Davis that the designation was not a good idea. Davis and Rucci voted opposed while Robinson and Stewart voted in favor. Commissioners’ President Peter Murphy [D] broke the tie and the motion passed.

Contact Marty Madden at marty.madden@thebaynet.com

DeGaulle likes this.
  19. DeGaulle

DeGaulle Powers

Pope Leo was eminently orthodox. He described socialists as 'depraved', while one suspects Pope Francis could be one. Pope Leo thought and acted in True Charity, while Pope Francis seems to abide perilously close to ideology and Marxist dialectic.

Regarding the gap between 1884 and 1917, only God knows why, but it corresponds to 33 years, the length of the earthly life of Jesus Christ. That's all I can say.

20. DeGaulle

DeGaulle Powers

A great song, but, having read the actual reports of the case, I came to the conclusion it was a bit hard on Zantzinger. His actions, which were not entirely intentional, gained him enormous notoriety. Far more deliberate evils nowadays can be washed away in 'rehab', it seems.

Dylan was very young when he wrote this song, but he continued to perform it throughout his career. While I enjoyed many of these performances myself, I wonder whether he ought to have done so, or I listened. Certainly, whenever I hear this song now, I feel some sympathy for the now deceased Zantzinger.

HeavenlyHosts likes this.