1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

How to gain plenary indulgences

Discussion in 'On prayer itself' started by Joe Crozier 2, Nov 21, 2016.

1. a wee one

a wee one Angels

I need to clarify that the short prayers are not stand alones. They are "to be used as a complement to some other work by which the faithful raise their minds to God in humble trust, while carrying out their duties and bearing the hardships of life. Hence, a pious invocation completes the elevation of the mind to God..."

I love this further elucidation: "...both the raising up of the mind and the pious invocation are like a precious stone which is inserted into ordinary activities to adorn them, or are like salt which properly seasons these same."

Further: "The invocation to be preferred is the one which is more in harmony with the particular situation and the personal dispositions of the individual: whether it comes spontaneously to mind or is chosen from those proven effective in their long standing use by the Christian faithful.

An invocation can be very short, expressed either in just one or a few words, or even merely conceived in the mind."

There are further examples:
    God!

Father!

Jesus!

Praised be Jesus Christ!

I believe in you, O Lord!

I adore you!

I hope in you!

I love you!

All for you!

Thanks be to you!

Thanks be to God!

Blessed be God!

Let us bless the Lord!

Your kingdom come!

Your will be done!

As the Lord wills!

Help me, O God!

Comfort me!

Hear me!

Hear my prayer!

Save me!

Have mercy on me!

Spare me, O Lord!

Hail Mary!

Glory to God in the highest!

You are great, O Lord!

I am totally yours!

DivineMercy and Joe Crozier 2 like this.
  2. DivineMercy

DivineMercy Archangels

I'm so glad this thread was started :D
    I have quite a few "old" Catholic books, and in my ignorance assumed that the indulgenced prayers listed in them were still valid (thinking that when it said something like "100 days" it now means just a partial, as I did know that the days and years concept was done away with). I also have an old out of print prayer book for the souls in Purgatory - I'm guessing now that while there were good intentions, that the indulgences may not have technically applied :unsure:
    Oh well, pray without ceasing, Jesus knew my intentions were good!

a wee one likes this.
  3. a wee one

a wee one Angels

Love this, DM:"Oh well, pray without ceasing, Jesus knew my intentions were good!" Well said.

It seems to me, the new way of simply categorizing an indulgence as partial or plenary leaves everything in God's Perfect Providence. What's not needed for a particular soul for whom we may be offering is never lost. The graces not needed for that soul go into the Treasury of Grace which benefits other souls in need.

One of the most reassuring dimensions of making the 33 day prep for consecration to Jesus through Mary is the concept that we give everything, our prayers and works, to Mary and She, the Mediatrix of all graces, determines who needs what and when it is most needed. We continue remembering in our prayer intentions particular souls God has brought into our lives and, therefore, our awareness. It is Mary Who has the final say as to when, where and how to distribute the graces. As Her Own, Her kids intentionally consecrated to Her, She never disappoints when we, or our dear ones, are in need.

Thanks for your contributions, Divine Mercy!

DivineMercy likes this.