First Saturday...

Discussion in 'Mother of God' started by lynnfiat, Dec 1, 2014.

1. RoryRory

RoryRory Perseverance

We have a special mass at 11 with an hour of prayer- rosary and meditation before.If you do not have this special mass there may be exceptions-- I am not sure.

2. Mac

Mac "To Jesus, through Mary"

It should be done on the Saturday. However if just motive and with permission from a priest it can be transferred.
    Note with permission.

"If one cannot fulfill all the conditions on a Saturday, can it be done on Sunday? People in the country, for example, will not be able very often, because they live quite far away..."20

Our Lord gave the answer to Sister Lucy during the night of May 29-30, 1930: "The practice of this devotion will be equally acceptable on the Sunday following the first Saturday when My priests, for a just cause, allow it to souls."21 Thus not only the Communion, but also the recitation of the Rosary and meditation on the mysteries can be transferred to Sunday, for just motives of which priests are left the judges. It is easy to ask for this permission in confession. Note once again the Catholic, ecclesial character of the Message of Fatima. It is to His priests, and not to the individual conscience, that Jesus gives the responsibility of granting this additional concession.

After so many concessions, who could still claim that he was unable to fulfill the requests of the Virgin Mary?

Beth B likes this.
  3. Praetorian

Praetorian Powers

I guess what I was asking was:

Is the Saturday 4PM mass with the Sunday readings okay? I wouldn't actually be doing it on Sunday. Or would I need a priests permission to do this?

It's just that the only option I have is a Saturday 4PM mass.

4. No, Pretorian, it doesn't have to be a morning Mass, neither has to be the liturgy of the Saturday. What needs to be present is the intention of fulfilling the conditions of the First Saturday devotion as requested by Our Lady, that is to receive Holy Communion in reparation for Our Lady's offenses.

If there were no Masses available or possible for you to attend on a Saturday, we are allowed to do that on the Sunday, with the other conditions in place.

5. Mac

I would ask the priest for that permission since you are attending the Sunday liturgy, yes.

6. Joe Crozier

Joe Crozier Guest

I read that if you go to the Saturday vigil its ok but you have to go as if it were a Saturday and then go to Sunday mass too. But WCWTS says is what matters.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2015
    Julia likes this.
  7. Praetorian

Praetorian Powers

I thank everybody for your responses. I just went back and read over Our Lady's words. Actually she says we only need to receive Holy Communion. It doesn't say anything about going to a mass at all. Even just a Communion service would suffice. Am I wrong in this?

Julia likes this.
  8. Mac

You could well be right.

9. Julia

Julia Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us.

Praetorian, I am convinced if there is no Mass available on a Saturday. Saying Holy Rosary will be acceptable. Because in Ireland long ago when Catholics were persecuted, they used to come together and say the Rosary if no Priest was available for Mass. They used to call it 'the dry Mass.' :)

Or so I was told.

Beth B likes this.
  10. lynnfiat

lynnfiat Fiat Voluntas Tua

Our Lady asks for the First Satuday Mass to be on first Saturday, but there are times that it is impossible - such as there being no Sat. Mass in your area. I have to drive an hour from my house to get to a Mass with a Priest who knows much about Fatima. It is our desire to make our First Saturday that God accepts. After all, He puts us in the situation of having a Mass near us or not - according to His Will.

11. Praetorian

Praetorian Powers

Again I thank everyone for their assistance with my questions. I believe after looking at Our Lady's words, we only need to receive Holy Communion on Saturday if possible. If you are unable Sunday can be substituted with the permission of a priest. The word Mass is never used. I thought of this because I will be attending a Maronite Church this Saturday. The Eastern Rites don't have Mass, they celebrate the Liturgy. If Our Lady had said you must attend a Mass, she would be leaving out a lot of Catholics. I believe the same wording is used for the First Fridays. No mass is necessary, only to receive Holy Communion. This makes sense because on Good Friday there is no Mass, only a Communion service. That would mean if you had to go to Mass on the nine First Fridays you would have to start them on the three months following Easter.

Julia, Infant Jesus of Prague and Mac like this.
  12. Mac

Sister Lucy explains the Reparatory Devotion of the First Saturdays*

*EDITOR’S NOTE: This booklet is taken from Frère Michel’’s book The Whole Truth About Fatima, Volume II. Sections I, II, III, and IV of this booklet are taken from Chapter VI, "The Great Promise ..." (pages 245-277). Appendix I is taken from Appendix III, pages 817-821.

Sister Lucy took this "lovable devotion" so much to heart that she constantly returns to it in her correspondence. Unquestionably there is nothing more capable of touching our hearts than this insistence of Our Lady’s messenger. Here are some of these beautiful texts:

"I never feel so happy as when First Saturday arrives …"

On November 1, 1927, she writes to her sponsor for confirmation, Dona Maria Filomena Morais de Miranda:

"(…) I don’t know if you already know about the reparatory devotion of the five Saturdays to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. As it is still recent, I would like to inspire you to practice it, because it is requested by Our Dear Heavenly Mother and Jesus has manifested a desire that it be practiced. Also, it seems to me that you would be fortunate, dear godmother, not only to know it and to give Jesus the consolation of practicing it, but also to make it known and embraced by many other persons.

"It consists in this: During five months on the first Saturday, to receive Jesus in Communion, recite a Rosary, keep Our Lady company for fifteen minutes while meditating on the mysteries of the Rosary,1 and make a confession. This confession can be made a few days earlier, and if in this previous confession you have forgotten the (required) intention one can offer the following confession for this intention, provided that on the first Saturday one receives Holy Communion in the state of grace, with the intention of repairing for offenses against the Most Holy Virgin, and which afflict Her Immaculate Heart.2

"It seems to me, my dear godmother, that we are fortunate to be able to give Our Dear Heavenly Mother this proof of love, for we know that She desires it to be offered to Her. As for myself, I avow that I am never so happy as when first Saturday arrives. Isn’t it true that our greatest happiness is to belong entirely to Jesus and Mary and to love Them, and Them alone, without reserve? We see this so clearly in the lives of the saints … They were happy because they loved, and we, my dear godmother, we must seek to love as they did, not only to enjoy Jesus, which is the least important — because if we do not enjoy Him here below, we will enjoy Him up above — but to give Jesus and Mary the consolation of being loved … and that in exchange for this love They might be able to save many souls. Adieu, my dear godmother, I embrace you in the holy Hearts of Jesus and Mary."3

On November 4, 1928, after several attempts to obtain an official approval from Bishop da Silva, she writes to Father Aparicio:

"I hope therefore that Our Good Lord will inspire His Excellency with a favorable response, and that among so many thorns I may pick this flower, seeing the maternal Heart of the Most Holy Virgin honored also on this earth. This is my desire now because it is also the will of Our Good Lord. The greatest joy that I experience is to see the Immaculate Heart of our most tender Mother known, loved and consoled by means of this devotion."4

On March 31, 1929, Sister Lucy writes to Father Aparicio on the subject of Canon Formigao and Father Rodriguez, who desire to preach the reparatory devotion:

"I hope that Jesus will make them — according to the desire I have of spreading this lovable devotion — two ardent apostles of the reparatory devotion to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Your Reverence cannot imagine how great is my joy in thinking of the consolation which the Holy Hearts of Jesus (and Mary) will receive through this lovable devotion, and the great number of souls who will be saved through this lovable devotion. I say, ‘who will be saved’, because not long ago, Our Good Lord in His infinite mercy asked me to seek to make Reparation through my prayers and sacrifices, and preferably to perform Reparation to the Immaculate Heart of Mary, and implore pardon and mercy in favor of souls who blaspheme against Her, because the Divine Mercy does not pardon these souls without reparation."5

"Here is my way of making the meditations"

In this devotion which is so simple and so easy, Sister Lucy writes to her mother, "it seems to me that the fifteen minutes of meditation are what might give you some difficulty. But it is quite easy." We have said that it is a question only "of keeping Our Lady company for fifteen minutes" and it is not at all necessary to meditate on all fifteen mysteries of the Rosary, but one or two can be chosen. In a letter quoted by Father Martins, Sister Lucy writes:

"Here is my way of making the meditations on the mysteries of the Rosary on the first Saturdays: First mystery, the Annunciation of the Angel Gabriel to Our Lady. First prelude: to imagine myself seeing and hearing the Angel greet Our Lady with these words:

"‘Hail Mary, full of grace.’ Second prelude: I ask Our Lady to infuse into my soul a profound sentiment of humility.

"1st point: I will meditate on the manner in which Heaven proclaims that the Most Holy Virgin is full of grace, blessed among all women and destined to become the Mother of God.

"2nd point: The humility of Our Lady, recognizing Herself and declaring Herself to be the handmaid of the Lord.

"3rd point: How I must imitate Our Lady, in Her humility, what are the faults of pride and arrogance through which I most often displease the Lord, and the means I must employ to avoid them, etc.

"On the second month, I make the meditation on the second joyful mystery. The third month, I make it on the third joyful mystery and so on, following the same method of meditating. When I have finished the Five First Saturdays, I begin five others and meditate on the sorrowful mysteries, then the glorious ones, and when I have finished them I start over again with the joyful ones."6

Sister Lucy thus reveals to us that far from contenting herself with the Five First Saturdays, every month she practices "the lovable reparatory devotion" indicated by Our Lady. Since it is a question of "consoling Our Heavenly Mother" and interceding so efficaciously for the salvation of souls, why not follow her example and renew this pious practice often? We could then ask this good Mother, with the firm hope of being heard, to vouchsafe to grant particular assistance at the hour of death, "with all the graces necessary for salvation", for such or such a soul whom we confide to Her7, as She has promised to us in return for this "little devotion" accomplished through love and a spirit of Reparation.

Sam, Julia and Praetorian like this.
  13. Julia

First Saturday done. Praise God. :)

Sam, Praetorian, PotatoSack and 2 others like this.
  14. Mac

The Five First Saturdays
    On the evening of Thursday, December 10, 1925, after supper, Sister Lucy dos Santos (then a postulant in the Dorothean house at Pontevedra, Spain) received a visit by the Child Jesus and the Virgin Mary in her convent cell. Showing the young nun a heart surrounded by thorns, Our Lady said to her:

[​IMG]
    "See, My daughter, My heart surrounded by thorns which ungrateful men pierce at every moment by their blasphemies and ingratitude... Say to all those who, for five months, on the first Saturday, confess, receive Holy Communion, recite the Rosary and keep Me company for 15 minutes while meditating on the fifteen mysteries of the Rosary, in a spirit of reparation, I promise to assist them at the hour of death with all the graces necesary for the salvation of their souls."

Julia, Beth B, lynnfiat and 1 other person like this.
  15. Mac

16. BrianK

BrianK Guest

Thanks for the reminder Mac!

Beth B and Mac like this.
  17. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

Yes...thank you for reminding everyone....no one should miss this opportunity! Thank you dear Mother for this grace!

Mac likes this.
  18. DonnaS

DonnaS Guest

thank you for the reminder!

Mac likes this.
  19. Julia

First Friday 8 of 9 done today 1st January 2016.

Tomorrow 8 of 9 First Saturdays. Thank you Mac for the lovely pictures and the reminder. X Happy New Year.

DonnaS and Mac like this.
  20. Florida Panther

Florida Panther Jesus through Mary

Great news. I have a question, if you don't mind. Is there another Marian devotion for 9 First Saturday's?

Julia likes this.