Fasting

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Freedom, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Sanctus

Sanctus Guest

Our Lady of Medjugorje said "wars can be stopped with fasting".

Jeanne, Julia, Sam and 1 other person like this.
  2. Sam

Sam Powers

January 25, 2001
    "Dear children! Today I call you to renew prayer and fasting with even greater enthusiasm until prayer becomes a joy for you. Little children, the one who prays is not afraid of the future and the one who fasts is not afraid of evil. Once again, I repeat to you: only through prayer and fasting also wars can be stopped -- wars of your unbelief and fear for the future. I am with you and am teaching you little children: your peace and hope are in God. That is why draw closer to God and put Him in the first place in your life. Thank you for having responded to my call."

During the apparition of December 25, 1982, to Mirjana, …"You have forgotten that through prayer and fasting you can avert wars and suspend the laws of nature."

Julia, Sanctus and Jeanne like this.
  3. Sorrowful Heart

Sorrowful Heart Archangels

I love Jesus! and the Holy Family. Fasting is such a funny interior battle. I was fasting earlier today, and on my way home I thought to myself.

"I must have a snack! I will go to the gas station and grab a pop and a bag of chips."

Then as I drove by I found the desire for a snack diminish, and passed by the gas station and went straight home. It was a small miracle :)

4. padraig

padraig Powers

fasting is such a huge source of joy,the world needs joy

5. For anyone, Fasting is hard! I have never made it to the end of the day without food, not because I am hungry, but because I will feel faint. As in my vision becomes very dark and I have to lie down immediatly.
    I wish I could fast, but then what use am I to my duty as a wife and mother? So I have to do other things, such as give up small things throughout the day.
    Saint Padre Pio says, duty, even before prayer.

Beth B and josephite like this.
  6. "Quis ut Deus"

"Quis ut Deus" ADMIN Staff Member

Please get your blood sugars checked as this would be a sign of Fasting hypoglycemia

What is non-diabetic hypoglycemia? Non-diabetic hypoglycemia is a condition that causes the sugar (glucose) in your blood to drop too low. This can happen in people who do not have diabetes. The 2 types of non-diabetic hypoglycemia are fasting hypoglycemia and reactive hypoglycemia. Fasting hypoglycemia often happens after the person goes without food for 8 hours or longer. Reactive hypoglycemia usually happens about 2 to 4 hours after a meal. When your blood sugar level is low, your muscles and brain cells do not have enough energy to work well.

https://www.allinahealth.org/mdex/ND2805G.HTM

7. Thank you for the information Quis ut Deus!
    It happens everytime, so I obstane from small things. Such as not drinking that ever so tempting ice cold coke lol! Or passing on the dessert. Or wine. Hopefully my very small sacrifices will add up and contribute to the poor souls, living or dead.

8. indaiatubano

indaiatubano Archangels

Light and Yellowcoffeecup like this.
  9. Sorrowful Heart

There are a lot of good Irish people in this forum so I think this is a good place to ask, please forgive me if what I am about to ask is offensive.

I will be leaving for Medjugorje in a month and a half, and am thinking about doing 33 day potato fast before going. I have heard that a person can live only on Potatoes. Its supposed to be good for the body too. I already do not eat meat unless my parents cook it, so I am thinking I will be able to do it with good success.

Have any of you or anyone you know done this kind of fast before, and if so do you recommend it?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  10. PotatoSack

PotatoSack Powers

Given my pen name here...I feel I have to respond :p I have never heard of doing a potato fast before. I am not sure they give you the mix of vitamins and nutrients a person needs over a 33 day period. But I am no expert at all. But I would make sure you eat the skins since the skin is very good for you. Eat lots of sweet potatoes since those are extremely good for you. I envy you going to medjugorje. I wish I could go back but that door has not opened for me. Good luck with the fast!

Julia likes this.
  11. Dolours

Dolours Guest

A potato fast is a new one on me. Although potatoes contain a lot of goodness, I don't think it would be wise to live on them for 33 days.

12. Sweet potatoes would!

13. Haley

Haley Sponsa Christi

hi Im new how do you post

Sam likes this.
  14. Scolaire Bocht

Scolaire Bocht Archangels

I think that means you figured it out!

Sam likes this.
  15. Sam

Sam Powers

Welcome Haley! It does look as if you figured it out. Keep posting! (y)

16. I have always found the best way to fast is to first ask Our Lady for the grace to do it, and second not to tell anyone who knows me I am doing it or have done it.

17. Sorrowful Heart

How do you not tell people though, after several days you become a weirdo in people's eyes. I did the potatoes for several days which was amazing, but the head aches were awful because of no coffee. I ended up caving and had a few. First world problems. I am such an addict.

DivineMercy and Beth B like this.
  18. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

If you fast and give up coffee, you might try weaning yourself off of it first to avoid the headaches or taking a caffeine supplement....headaches are horrible.

19. I have found the best is to be as secretive as possible, and when one is in company to eat the main food others are eating but to do without something little like salt and another additives, ( I love a little meat with my salt!) also the fact that you want to fast secretly and perhaps cannot do it as you would wish can also be part of the fast. Success is not really important but the effort and intention is. Don't be too hard on yourself though:). Mt 6:18 comes to mind

20. fallen saint

fallen saint Baby steps :)

At my high points, i was able to fast constantly but if i had special event or was with my family. I wouldn't hesitate to eat. Not because i gave in...but because there is no reasons for others to know my spiritual disciplines. I would not eat after 5pm. And try to go meatless Wednesday and Friday. When i do eat, i try to look at foods i like, then get something else. I also try to eat half portions.

Those are only a few ways one can fast. But there are so many different ways one can fast...we could fight volumes.

:)