World summit of Christian leaders to gather in Moscow in October to support persecuted Christians

Discussion in 'The Signs of the Times' started by archangel michael, Apr 2, 2016.

1. archangel michael

archangel michael Moderator

World summit of Christian leaders to gather in Moscow in October to support persecuted Christians

Moscow, March 30, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church and the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association (BGEA) will hold a World Summit of Christian Leaders in Moscow, on October 28-30, in support of persecuted Christians.

The forum is expected to gather about a thousand delegates from 150 countries, a spokesperson for the Russian Orthodox Church said.

"The reason for conducting such a large-scale event are the mass persecutions, unprecedented in contemporary history, of Christians in the Middle East, Africa and other world regions, comparable to the persecution of Christians in the early centuries and mass repressions by atheist authorities in the 20th century," the spokesperson said.

The BGEA was founded by preacher Bill Graham in the United States over half a century ago. The Association's current leader is his son, Franklin, who is also head of the charitable organization Samaritan's Purse.

In the spring and summer of 2015, the Moscow Patriarchate and the two organizations jointly implemented a project in southern Russia to aid refugees from eastern Ukraine. As part of the initiative, over 63,000 kits were distributed that included foodstuffs, hygienic items, bed sheets, school stationery and children's toys.

Jeanne likes this.
  2. archangel michael

archangel michael Moderator

Doesn't say the Pope would be going,but I wonder....

Jeanne likes this.
  3. sterph

sterph Archangels

I just read the above post to my husband and he said..."ok I need to buy bullets." Not the reaction I was expecting but I had to laugh and share.

Sam likes this.
  4. Dolours

Dolours Powers

In an ideal world this initiative would have been hosted by the Vatican. I'm sure that the Holy Father would attend if invited - then again, maybe not.

5. djmoforegon

djmoforegon Powers

Sounds like my husband :)

6. andree

andree Archangels

Wow. I can totally see Pope Francis participating in such a meeting if he were invited.

7. earthtoangels

earthtoangels Powers

Wow....the Russian Orthodox Church doesn't seem to fear the Graham evangelicals stealing the faithful as much as the Roman Catholics:sneaky:

The Pope just may be going to Moscow earlier .... like in August!

8. Marygar

Marygar Angels

Wow wow wow!

9. djmoforegon

djmoforegon Powers

Marygar likes this.
  10. Julia

Julia Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us.

It was announced on the main BBC news here in the UK this evening that Pope Francis has asked all Catholic Parishes to hold a collection on 24th April and send money to the Ukraine, as they seem to be in serious need.

11. djmoforegon

djmoforegon Powers

This story was also reported on RT: https://www.rt.com/news/338266-francis-donation-ukraine-crisis/

It's always very interesting to read the comments below the story. Some very strong Putin supporters and also Ukrainians who desire liberation. And Americans who just seem to disparage everyone.

Marygar likes this.
  12. djmoforegon

djmoforegon Powers

I guess what I was thinking was that whenever the Holy Father calls attention to a particular suffering people or country, it isn't long before he plans a visit to fortify them with his presence. Like Mexico, Africa, Cuba, Sri Lanka.......maybe the Ukraine?

Marygar likes this.
  13. earthtoangels

earthtoangels Powers

It would seem logical that eastern Ukraine refugees fleeing into Russia are the ethnic Russians and so since Putin is the one who created the necessity for refugees by invading the Ukraine then he ought to be assisting them when they seek refuge from that violence in Russia.

In the spring and summer of 2015, the Moscow Patriarchate and the two organizations jointly implemented a project in southern Russia to aid refugees from eastern Ukraine. As part of the initiative, over 63,000 kits were distributed that included foodstuffs, hygienic items, bed sheets, school stationery and children's toys.

OTOH, the Pope just declared a day for the collections from all European Catholic churches to be designated to help those in the Ukraine itself who are suffering from this war. Hmmm....

Pope Francis on Sunday announced that a special collection would be taken up in all of Europe's Roman Catholic churches on April 24 to raise funds to help the people of Ukraine.

Speaking to tens of thousands of people at the end of a Mass in St. Peter's Square, he said he wanted the collection to be a "gesture of charity that, apart from alleviating material suffering, shows my personal closeness as well as that of the entire Church" to the people of Ukraine.

Violence has intensified recently in eastern Ukraine between government forces and Russian-backed rebels, international monitors have warned.

Doesn't sound like these various groups are on the same page when it comes to victims.

14. Marygar

Marygar Angels

It's a bit more complicated. Obama sent billions to Ukraine for the coup. This is when the war started. The ousted Ukraine government brought chaos. We have to understand Ukraine is Russia's bread basket, and Russia is Ukraine's energy flow. They both need each other.

15. Dolours

Dolours Powers

BBC did a piece a while back about elderly people in Ukraine's conflict area. God help them, they were really suffering trying to eke out a living, Most were separated from their families. I was concentrating on something else and not really watching the TV until I glanced up and saw a Divine Mercy picture on the wall of a house where an old lady was being interviewed.

World powers (both east and west) care little for the misery caused by their interference in small countries.

djmoforegon and Marygar like this.
  16. Marygar

Marygar Angels

Hoping Pope Francis brings peace.

djmoforegon likes this.
  17. Dolours

Dolours Powers

Yes, and George Soros also had his oar in. We really need to pray for the conversion of that dreadful man.

Marygar likes this.
  18. Marygar

Marygar Angels

Dreadful

19. earthtoangels

earthtoangels Powers

The ousted Ukraine govt. was a puppet of Putin's. Ukraine went through enough hell under Stalin. Yes, their "bread basket" was raided and those who raised the bread were themselves starved to death. The mystic Josep Terelya had some horrifying stories of going underground in the Ukraine as well as his own time in the Gulag when captured. Whatever the invented excuse for the Russian invasion (and this isn't the only region Putin has his eye on) it is still an invasion of a sovereign nation....and their ports don't appear to be enough for Putin's current appetite. The reason for the sudden anxiety and fear was the vote for Ukraine to lean to the West.

Once again Obama is doing nothing of any consequence...leaving the Ukraine to wonder what comes (or is allowed to come) next: Business Insider:

"President's Obama's remarks today regarding both Russia and Iran were extremely dangerous,When specifically asked what his red line is with regards to Russian aggression, Obama did not articulate one," Caruso said, also referring to Obama's vague statement about US negotiations with Iran to curb its nuclear ambitions. "America and NATO cannot afford to cede Ukraine to Russia and also cannot tolerate a nuclear armed Iran exporting terror around the globe. We saw what happened when Obama refused to draw a red line on Syria. Do we want to take that chance again?"

Merkel and other European leaders oppose arming Ukraine, partly out of fear of a proxy war with Russia. Ukraine has been at the center of an international crisis since last year, when Russia forcibly annexed Crimea and boosted Eastern Ukrainian separatists with military assistance. However, Obama played down their differences Monday and insisted they were focusing on economic and diplomatic pressure.

And currently with Putin concentrating his attention on Syria his troops who are not supposed to exist in the Ukraine (except for all their selfies taken!) are returning home as completely irrelevant and invisible...with no hero recognition! What a world!

20. Marygar

Marygar Angels

I get it. But I'm from America, and part of Texas used to belong to Mexico. But it no longer does. It's what happens to countries at times. There are winners and there are losers. It's not that I'm pro Putin, it's that I see the reality of both sides needing each other. And everything was fine before Obama got involved. And as for Syria, heck I prefer Assad and Putin working together rather than the radical Islamists taking over which Obama has inspired all over the Middle East. At least with Assad Christians weren't beheaded.

Dolours likes this.