Where to Now, Ireland?

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by DeGaulle, Dec 13, 2019.

1. DeGaulle

DeGaulle Powers

This Irishman cannot help his excitement at the historic UK election results. The post-Brexit border between Ireland and the UK is likely now to be on the Irish Sea and Irish Nationalism now has a majority of Northern Ireland seats in the London parliament. It is a hugely symbolic day and, with the success of the Scottish Nationalists might spell the disintegration of the UK itself.

I hope that Unionism pragmatically embraces the prospect of becoming a big fish in the small pond of Ireland, rather than futilely and hopelessly clinging onto the apron of a dying 'Union'. The voters of the DUP, in particular, would be a hugely valuable moral and social asset in a future unified Ireland.

2. "Quis ut Deus"

"Quis ut Deus" Powers Staff Member

I'm sorry this Irish man cannot share the excitement you mention this vote comes on the back of a death sentence to the unborn and an abandonment of our church the people of N. Ireland voted death what wrath will we face now

DeGaulle likes this.
  3. DeGaulle

DeGaulle Powers

That's what I meant by saying "...can't help his excitement", because the emotions well up despite the correct context you describe. I do think a DUP base within the tent might help to slow our social degradation. They are the only properly conservative party on the island. They would have far more influence in a unified Ireland than in the UK.

"Quis ut Deus" and AED like this.