When the Roof Falls In.

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by padraig, Jun 23, 2021.

1. padraig

padraig Powers

In some countries the snowfall gets so heavy that folks have to get right on up there and clear it regularly. Otherwise the roof will fall in under the weight.

In the same way in our Spiritual Lives we may experience a period of severe crisis and change in our own Spiritual Lives when the Roof falls in because of build up in the previous period which leads to crisis or collapse.

Happily I don't thing this happens to often in peoples lives. I don't think many of us would have the courage to face life at all , for these happenings are of course deeply, deeply traumatic and life changing.

In Scripture a very good example of this is found in the Book of Job. Job is doing very,very well for himself. He is very religious, has a big family and is rich and prosperous. Things could not be better.

Satan, appearing as a kind of Public Prosecutor appears at the Throne of Heaven accusing Job of only being Faithful because things are well. If however God were to allow Satan to try Job things would be different.

God gives Job the nod and Jobs roof falls in. His family dies, he looses all his money and property and falls gravely ill.

The roof falls in.

[​IMG]

2. padraig

padraig Powers

Another good example of the roof falling in was the Apostles in the Garden of Gethsemane. When asked to stay awake they fell asleep. When the Temple Guards came to arrest Jesus they ran away.

Their roofs fell in.

Byron, TinNM, HeavenlyHosts and 2 others like this.
  3. Ananchal

Ananchal Vigilans

I think I’m being tested right now. Instead of turning into gold I think I’m becoming dung:unsure:

4. AED

AED Powers

I often feel like this when the going gets rough. Purification is hard. Pruning hurts.

5. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

But God knows just when to remove us from the dunghill:)

6. PurpleFlower

PurpleFlower Powers

Yes. Every time I suffer even a little bit I realize I'm about as weak as they come.

Michael Pio, HeavenlyHosts and AED like this.
  7. padraig

padraig Powers

Did you ever notice on a train when another train passes us by it seems like we are going backwards? In fact we are still moving, faster and faster though the train beside us induces an optical illusion.

I find when I think I am a total failure , thinking to myself, 'Alright then if I am a total loss, so be it. Let me begin once again today and start all over!' God help me to do things right this time!' This cheers me up a lot. In a real sense we are, all of us , just starting out on the journey on the pilgrimage to heaven today. We are just at the beginning of the beginning. Even in heaven we will always be just at the beginning of the beginning. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow is yet to come. All we have in our hands is this present moment.

Let us begin today.

Beth B, Michael Pio, Byron and 4 others like this.
  8. padraig

padraig Powers

The roof first fell in on me when I was just 15 years old.

It happened like this. I had always been very devout, even from very early childhood, always having a very special devotion to the Blessed Virgin. From my earliest days I spoke on a one to one basis with Jesus as a friend. Prayer for me was as natural as breathing. Jesus was my friend; I talked to me . It was only relatively recently that I discovered that it was not so for everyone. I recall also as a child asking my mother why she kept asking me to do her messages for her to the shops when she had so many other children to ask. She replied sadly, 'Padraig you are the only one who will do so if I ask'. I also loved to visit Churches and read the lives of the saints and had a particular love for all things mystical and supernatural. From the age of four I wanted to be a priest.

So everything in the spiritual garden looked rosy. How could such an apparently good roof cave in all at once? But it did, because it had taken termites in .

In 1969 in the USA the African American Civil Rights Protests spread to this part of British occupied Ireland. Irish Catholics were every treated here as second class citizens and we started to protest. My own family had a very strong tradition of Armed Irish Republicanism Resistance and I very much supported the use of force against them.

At the age of 15 I went to Passionist Monastery , Tobar Mhuire ( Mary's Well) in the country outside Belfast to begin my studies for the priesthood. But a few months later my father who was a buisnessman was Interned (imprisoned without trial, court Judge, jury or charge) for an indefinite period. By indefinite I mean they could keep him locked up forever. I wanted to leave the monastery but my father insisted I stay.

A few months later at school I had a bad feeling that something was wrong at home. I left school without permission and cycled home. At once I knew something was wrong for the front door stood open. Then my mother came in crying. My elder brother Ciaran had just been interned as well. On the prison ship Maidstone. On his arrest he had been very badly beaten and tortured by the British Parachute Regiment. One of the prison officers told my mother he was the most badly beaten person he had ever seen. He was 17 years old. This all happening , recall without charge, without court , without jury , without sentence, without even police.

My mother said who was the kindest and most loving of people and very careful of what she said to us children told me if she had had a gun she would like to have shot the ones who did this.

It was at that precise instant I gave way to hatred and my roof fell in.

1 John 4:20

Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen.

Beth B, Michael Pio, Clare A and 5 others like this.
  9. AED

AED Powers

This is a profound story Padraig. I often struggle with the hatred and resentment I see and hear in African Americans here in the US. Intellectually I understand the deep wounds but it hasn't very often reached my heart. Reading this about the injustices and violence visited on you and your family and the Catholic Irish in Northern Ireland it suddenly became personal. And I thought immediately of Black Americans and what they have endured for 300 plus years in this country. And like the Irish they were devout Christians deeply in spiritual and physical suffering with Christ. I ponder the evil in the hearts of people that cause such suffering and then are surprised at a fierce and savage violence in response. Only God can help us out of this. May God have mercy on us all. I pray for the Holy Spirit to infuse my soul with the Light of Christ and His love and His wisdom and His perseverance. I cannot help myself and I cannot perfect myself. I am a hot mess as the saying goes. I remember the scripture given to me many years ago when I first began my "pulgrimage" from 2 Corinthians 12:9. The first time ever that I "received" a scripture. "
    "He (Jesus) said to me (Paul)--Dont worry. I am enough for you. I show up best in weak people." What a powerful and encouraging personal Word I was given. It is Christ IN me that overcomes. "When I am weak then I am strong."
    Thank you for sharing this with us.

Michael Pio, Clare A, Byron and 3 others like this.
  10. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Thank you, Padraig. You were so young!
    Thank you, AED.

Michael Pio, TinNM, AED and 1 other person like this.
  11. padraig

padraig Powers

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    TinNM likes this.
  12. padraig

padraig Powers

I would say one thing about the African/American Experience and the things that happened here in the North of Ireland that always surprised me. That people who appear to be very,very good Christians , at least on the surface , can so mistreat others, even fellow Christians.

For instance people in the USA who were slave owners but still went to Church.

Here in my own part of the world there were Protestant Pastors who supported anti Catholic killer squads. sometimes they read pslams to the people and held prayer meetings calling blessings just before going out to kill Catholics, their fellow Christians.

I notice also the same kind of thing happening in Rwanda during the genocide. Several Catholic priests and nuns and Protestant Pastors took part in the slaughter.

But then I think of myself who was just as bad...

When we pray the Our Father and say , 'Lead us not into temptation', we should really mean it.

We never know when or where or how our own personal roof may cave in.

Michael Pio, Clare A, Byron and 2 others like this.
  13. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

padraig likes this.
  14. PurpleFlower

PurpleFlower Powers

Thanks for sharing this, Padraig! How horrible what happened to your family. I'm so sorry.

My life story doesn't have anything as awful and traumatic as that, but I'd say I've had two kind of "roof falling in" times. My childhood was just like yours spiritually, though I was the scapegoat child of a narcissistic bipolar mother (I owe my faith to her, so I try not to dwell on the very hard parts of how she treated me). I asked Mary to be my mother at a very young age because I knew she would love me as I desperately needed. When my parents fought, I'd send angels to calm them and guide their thoughts, and other such things. When I graduated high school, I went to a good Catholic college, attended daily Mass... When I was 20 is when the first roof fell in. My parents divorced, my mom ran off, my dad stayed gone for weeks at a time with his new girlfriend, and I had three siblings at home aged 13, 11, and 8. I spent the next couple years commuting to college, caring for my siblings and the house, getting us all into therapy, trying desperately to keep my now public-schooled siblings in the Faith, going through my own abusive relationship with my manipulative and suicidal fiance, trying to save my mom from her new husband who beat her and followed her to my house when she came to hide, watching helplessly as my sister fell into Satanism and drugs... It was a nightmare. I remember the night my dad called me to tell me it was officially over with my mom, his deaf ear turned to my pleas, I just went out to my car and cried and cried and cried in the rain... I turned on the Christian radio station and the song "Praise You in This Storm" came on for the first time, and I poured my broken heart out.

As my family seemed to slip through my fingers, I fell into a deep depression. I remember the worst part of that was that I literally couldn't cry tears... I'd dry cry, my tears being all used up by that point, and there was no relief to my desperate sadness. But all of the pain led me to daily adoration, where for over two years, I sat with Jesus for an hour after every Mass, and could only cry out all the ways I was failing until I'd lie down in the pew and cry myself to sleep.

One day I woke up in the pew and heard these words in my heart, "You could never do anything for anyone ever again and I'd still love you." I was absolutely stunned. I'd never heard a word of unconditional love spoken to me in my life, and it changed my whole world. I fell so deeply in love with Jesus, it was a whole new kind of relationship. From that point on, we bore the sufferings together and I slowly rose from my depression. I ended my engagement, and met my husband a month later. There were still so many struggles, but I knew I was loved, so I could bear them.

My mom has since left her abusive husband, my parents had their marriage annulled and she came back to the faith and married someone who is so good to her. My sister is back in the Catholic faith (she was actually Confirmed in jail), free from drugs for a few years now, and raising a baby.

My second roof caving in was when I discovered I could not easily have children like I always thought I would. I was going to be that mom of 10 kids all the faithful Catholics would be so proud of...but no. I have experienced years of infertility, 3 lost babies, a miscarriage that landed me in the ER 3 times with major unexplained blood loss and pain over the course of almost 3 months. I had to go through surgery with a very painful recovery to remove endometriosis... But I'll tell you what, it shaped my spiritual life in such a way that I wouldn't go back and change it for the world. The first time my roof caved in, I learned Jesus' love for me. The 2nd time, He taught me how to love Him back.

And He has blessed me with 3 living children so far, each one conceived less than a month after the death of a beloved grandparent whom we asked to intercede with God to send us a baby.

God is so good, in all things.

Beth B, RoryRory, Sam and 13 others like this.
  15. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 To Jesus + through Mary @-}---

It has in my life. In 1981, 1999, 2010 ... after the 3rd time (2010) I thought PATTERN. Almost every 10 years.

So I prayed and kept tabs on emotions and unfolding events, HOPING there'd be no repeat. (y)

Hello 2020. :notworthy: Which personally could've been a great year, but for "the world." :coffee:

Beth B, Byron, HeavenlyHosts and 2 others like this.
  16. AED

AED Powers

Thank you PF. Thank you for being so open and honest about your faith journey. My heart aches for the sorrows you've endured but it was your pathway to Jesus and to a true and intimate friendship with Him. "All things work toward those who love God and are called according to His ourpose."

Beth B, Sam, Michael Pio and 3 others like this.
  17. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Wow, PF. No wonder your faith is so strong and beautiful.

18. PurpleFlower

PurpleFlower Powers

I pray constantly that Jesus will never let go of my hand. It'll be only because of Him if I "finish the good race."

Beth B, Sam, Michael Pio and 4 others like this.
  19. Mark Maiocco

Mark Maiocco Principalities

Wow Padraig and PF! Thank you for sharing. Your stories brought me back out of “stalking mode” here on the forum.

It wasn’t until recently that I learned to offer my suffering united with those of Our Lady and Her Son’s - especially during His Passion and death - for Their intentions. I’ve since (mostly) been moving forward in my spiritual development. Lord knows I spent many years angry with Him about any and all suffering. What’s funny is Our Good Shepherd just allowed me to keep digging a deeper and deeper hole in my life and the suffering (and my complaining) continued grow. I’m sure He got a good laugh out of me trying to fix all my own problems by myself (pride anyone?). He probably knew I’d finally turn back to Him through His Mother. Today it’s not so much that I have less suffering- it’s just that I’m more at peace knowing that God has a plan and my suffering can help other souls when offered in unison with Theirs (even the smallest ones)

nice topic for a thread!

20. padraig

padraig Powers

I think of all Scriptural promises the one I love the best comes from St Paul in Romans.

Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

This may not be apparent at the time, but roofs falling in are really a blessing. For when the roof falls in we have to do rebuilding and with God's help we rebuild and rebuild better and stronger and so we get a whole new roof better and far stronger and fit for purpose than ever before.

Your mention of Satanism reminded me of a video of Zachary King I was watching last night. Zak was a Grand Wizard, a really top Satanist of maybe six to ten in the world. A magic worker, a caster of spells. He came from the small little town of Tallahassee in Florida which with a population of only 7000 people had two quite large and influential covens, his won numbering 174 people.

What I found striking was that although both his parents were devout Baptists seven of the ten Deacons in his local church were Satanists together with a high proportion of the most influential citizens, Doctors, Judges and so on. In other words Satanism was pretty well everywhere.

\If this was going on unbeknown in this little place it makes me wonder about other places. It also made me wonder about how false Zack's local Church was. If it is true of this little Baptist Church how true is it very often of our own Catholic Churches. I mean how alert have we been to the fact that so many of our priests, Bishops and Cardinals were and are perverts and how many of them Satanists too?

In my own case after giving way to hatred I continued on in the Church as a kind of Zombie Catholic for several years before loosing my Faith. In other words I practiced things very well outwardly but inwardly was dead.

How many Zombie Catholics are there in the Church today? People merely gong through the motions? Who do not believe in the Eucharist, in sexual purity, in the ten Commandments? Many, many, many.

They remind me of Zak's Baptist Church which was a trawling ground; a throne for Satanists. How many of our own Churches are like this?

Mmary likes this.