When the priest intends to the say the words of absolution but doesn't...

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by RosaryWielder, Aug 30, 2018.

1. RosaryWielder

RosaryWielder Hoping to get into the Illuminative stage soon.

Okay, so I was finally able to go to confession today and confess my sins, and when the priest pronounced the words of absolution, I could be mistaken but, it sounded like he said "may God forgive your sins in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit" instead of "may God grant you pardon and grace and I absolve you of all your sins, in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit." When I asked him about this, he said that he did say "I absolve/forgive you" and so I assumed that he did and left, although I'm not 100% sure.

In the past I heard priest say the words of absolution but didn't hear the "I" in the "may God grant you pardon and grace and I absolve you of all you sins..." so that's why I'm not sure either way in this. But if it was the case that the priest intended to say the words of absolution, didn't say the words of absolution, and then thought he did, what would happen?

2. DivineMercy

DivineMercy Archangels

I think that some priests will deviate because they feel like it and for the most part get away with it because the people don't know any better. There was one priest who absolutely would not use the absolution formula, and my pastor quietly told me to go to confession again, that it didn't count (it was with everyone, not just with me). Soon after this that particular priest left, and the pastor asked people to pray for him. I just question whether or not there was an actual memory loss moment on the part of the priest or if it was a knee jerk reaction of "yes I did" at being caught deviating. Personally, I would go again. I don't trust the intentions of those priests who ad lib and deviate.

gracia and Pray4peace like this.
  3. Pray4peace

Pray4peace Ave Maria

I had the exact same problem years ago. I was told by another priest to request that rogue priest actually use the word "absolve" instead of "forgive" in the confessional. I decided that I wouldn't go back to him. Priests just muddy the water for the faithful when they deviate.

Since the priest is an intermediary and you are confessing to our Lord with a contrite and repentant heart, I would hope that your sins would be absolved regardless of the priest's wording, but I can't say for certain. I never re-confessed after my own experiences. Now I'm kind of wondering if I should!

gracia likes this.
  4. soldier of christ

soldier of christ Archangels

I had a similar experience, however, the priest didn't even attempt to say anything. Nothing. Gave me a penance of a couple our Fathers and out the door I went At my next confession, I brought this up to another priest and asked if this was a valid confession. He asked me"were you sincerely sorry for your sins?" To which I responded yes. Then he said "then God has forgiven you".
    It is very difficult to discern what to do. You are caught between a rock and a hard place. You can accept through trust and "obedience" (used for the lack of a better word) that the priest is Christ at that moment and we should accept what is said or move on to find another , but falling into a trap of what suits my taste and not trusting in The Church or being concerned with scrupulosity.
    My advise, God knows your heart. if you feel it was a grave sin, then bring it up at your next confession to give yourself peace of mind. But I do believe that because of your attempt and your concern afterwards, God has forgiven you.