WARNING RE: CONFESSION

Discussion in 'The Sacraments' started by Muzhik, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Muzhik

Muzhik Powers

This was posted as a filler article in my church bulletin, but as a former IT guy it raised my hackles.

So many of us use "smartphones" -- cell phones with computers in them that will recognize spoken commands. I could type out a text to Mary inside my texting app; or I could say "Google, text Mary" and Google will send the text to Mary. Iphone users have their own "minions" in their smartphones; the principle is still the same.

The systems in these phones are incredibly sensitive, and I know from experience in IT security how easy it is to plant something on someone's laptop (and by extension, their cell phone), that will give someone else the ability to turn on your camera or microphone. Even if you don't have these programs, you can activate your cellphone yourself -- stop now and give it a try.

So we need to be SO VERY CAREFUL about bringing our cellphones with us into the confessional. By themselves, these systems can turn on and start recording what we are telling the priest. Either turn off your phone, or leave it outside the confessional when you go in.

Julia, Michael Pio, Booklady and 4 others like this.
  2. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Who woulda thought it!?

Julia, Te Deum and Beth B like this.
  3. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

Julia and Michael Pio like this.
  4. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

Laura Logan on big tech abuse of your information!

5. Booklady

Booklady La Dolorosa

Great warning, Muzhik, and we must alert out priests, too. They may not know this. My husband has put a scrap of duct-tape on my computer and our iphones, because he had read somewhere thay this was happening several years ago. But I guess they can record your voice and pass it on. :eek:

Beth B likes this.
  6. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

Julia likes this.
  7. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 Guest

Hi Father. Let's keep my smartphone on, shall we? And instead of confession, maybe we can talk about the never-ending torments of eternal Hell for evildoers who might be listening in.

Julia, Clare A, Beth B and 1 other person like this.
  8. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

:ROFLMAO::LOL:

Julia and Beth B like this.