Van life & pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by BrianK, Aug 23, 2019.

1. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

I went to a whole lot of the "Fatima Vigils", Blue Army sponsored... They'd start at like 7 or 8 PM at night and would go on all night long, Rosaries, Stations of the Cross, I think actually 2 Masses, at the beginning and end, every First Friday for First Saturday devotions, I carried the pilgrim statue a few times, a great honor. Yes, I think in my heart, sometimes She might be present, seemed like it. Oh, and refreshment breaks too, coffee, little sandwiches, I'm think of trying to get into it again, COVID kind of put a damper on it, First Saturday was last Saturday, so we will see. Also, tables where one could purchase Blue Army books and so on. Sort of fun but it makes for a long night.

Any comments welcomed.

I was then and I am still am mostly but I was really into Fatima, I'd read whatever I could on it.

Anyway, I was thinking about starting a thread on the Vigils... to connects with others.

AED, Jo M and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  2. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

I was into the Blue Army a little in the DC area in the 1970s. God bless them. God bless you.

AED, Jo M and TinNM like this.
  3. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

The Blue Army still exists but it seems to be called now more, "World Apostolate of Fatima", the Blue Army has a bit of a cold war connotation in my opinion. It was intense about fighting Communism. They still are but the focus seems a bit different now. Yes, this can harrow back to the discussion on whether Russia has been consecrated.

Home 2021 - Our Lady's Blue Army

World Apostolate of Fatima - Blue Army Shrine in New Jersey...

[​IMG]

(11) Blue Army Shrine Our Lady Of Fatima | Facebook
    (11) World Apostolate of Fatima, USA | Facebook

[​IMG]

So, it seems to me, there are 2, maybe 3 major Fatima Shrines in New York, New Jersey,

Fatima.org is another, more of a "Trad" organization... then another one near Niagara Falls, maybe it is on the Canadian side.

There is the Fatima Family Shrine in South Dakota.

(11) Fatima Family Shrine | Facebook

Fatima Family Messages from Mary

So, a lot of different organizations are out there.

Beth B, HeavenlyHosts and AED like this.
  4. BrianK

BrianK Guest

After forced inactivity due to eight months of serious health problems - acute gangrenous gallbladder surgery early September followed by re admission for serious complications, then severe congestive heart failure with 18% left side cardiac output due to advanced left bundle branch block in October and November followed by surgery for a biventricular pacemaker / defibrillator in December, then Covid in April - I FINALLY got back on my e bike. (Not to mention multiple strokes five years ago that left my left arm and leg temporarily paralyzed, which eventually resolved after they put two heart stents in my brain.)

My last ride late August was 20 miles on rail trails.

Today I went out (in 92• heat!) and rode a little over 7 miles. (I forgot to set my iPhone tracker the first 0.6 mile).

I kept it short because of the heat, and my left hamstring was starting to complain because I didn’t have my bike seat set high enough.

I still consider this a victory. AEFA0B52-F6AD-4BBB-88A6-89E21FE9203B.png 54D52F42-73CA-48B6-B111-986219F90D19.jpeg

Booklady, Beth B, Jo M and 6 others like this.
  5. BrianK

BrianK Guest

When I got my e bike out two or three weeks ago, I put the “charged” battery I charged overnight in, but got nothing. It wouldn’t work. The battery, I found out, wouldn’t take a charge after sitting all winter.

So I got another battery at the hunting shop where I bought the e bike and brought it home. When I opened it, the new battery wouldn’t fit in the type of battery mounting plate that was on my bike.

So I had to order a new battery mounting plate. This one came from a shop in Canada. When I received it, it had Anderson type power connectors. My old battery plate and e bike motor didn’t, so I had to wire in new Anderson type connectors on the e bike motor power lines to use the new battery. It took all day yesterday just to tear it all apart, figure out what I needed, rewire it’s, and get it all put back together.

Once I got everything hooked up and secure and the new completely charged battery installed, everything worked as it should, but it was too late to ride it last night.

Booklady, Beth B, Jo M and 3 others like this.
  6. BrianK

BrianK Guest

Interestingly, even the replacement battery was a case of Divine Providence. I had ordered a spare battery when I first bought the e bike from a local hunting shop. (It’s actually a hunting e bike on which I had to change the front sprocket gearing in order to use it on the road.)

After several months the battery still hadn’t come in so I told them to cancel the order.

I texted the hunting shop asking about troubleshooting the e bike when I first discovered it wouldn’t turn on. He replied a week later that he wasn’t much help, but he had forgotten to cancel the order for the back up battery I had placed last summer, it was just collecting dust, and I could have it cheap if I would get it out of his shop!

Booklady, Beth B, Jo M and 4 others like this.
  7. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

All of this is fortuitous.:)

Beth B, Jo M and BrianK like this.
  8. BrianK

BrianK Guest

Amen! Lithium e bike batteries run $400 to $1000 or more. I couldn’t figure out how I could possibly afford one, and had just about given up on getting my e bike back on the road this summer because of it. But the hunting shop said I could have the battery for $200. Providence!

Booklady, Beth B, Jo M and 4 others like this.
  9. Jo M

Jo M Powers

Wow that battery was sitting there waiting for you! Happy to hear you are back on your bike, Brian. :)

HeavenlyHosts, BrianK and Beth B like this.
  10. Ananchal

Ananchal Vigilans

What happened to the Van?

11. BrianK

BrianK Guest

Sold it, since I no longer need either awd or a cargo van in my current situation living in Virginia.

Mary's child likes this.
  12. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

13. sterph

sterph Archangels

TinNM, HeavenlyHosts and AED like this.
  14. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

That Fatima shrine sounds great, I have known of it for awhile but would love to go...

I just found out about another shrine if no one mentioned it, "Holy Family Shrine" ins Nebraska.

[​IMG]

Their webpage: Home Page - Holy Family Shrine

Inside:

[​IMG]

And note this:

Mary – Appeals of our Lady Exhibit
    This exhibit, designed and created by Carlo Acutis, features 20 panels that highlight Marian apparitions around the world and will be on display at the Shrine June 23rd – July 7th.

Okay, it does seem to be encased in glass, I was wondering if it was wide open:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Carol55, AED, Jo M and 1 other person like this.
  15. josephite

josephite Powers

May God continue to Bless you with strength Brian, in your crosses and to bless us all as we struggle to navigate our way in these unprecedented and unholy times.

Romans 5:20

19For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous. 20 The law came in so that the trespass would increase: but where sin increased, grace increased all the more, 21 so that, just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign by justice unto life everlasting, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen

Beth B, Carol55, sterph and 1 other person like this.
  16. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

No I haven't. I'm not sure how I missed your post. I see you mentioned this in the other thread:

Our Lady of Mount Carmel. 16th July | Page 2 | Mother of God (motheofgod.com)

Sorry, I'm sure it is very nice. OLMC National Shrine Calendar (ourladyofmtcarmelshrine.com)

17. jackzokay

jackzokay Archangels

...looks fantastic

18. BrianK

BrianK Archangels Staff Member

While the world is going the he!! in a hand basket, I picked up two rusty steel 17” wheels for my 2009 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor yesterday, on which to mount snow tires for the winter. Just to prove you can teach an old dog new tricks, I decided to resurface them and re-paint them today

The first image is one of the four rusty steel “cop car” wheels currently on my car. For the two I just picked up, I removed all the rust and old black paint with a wire wheel on an angle grinder, then cleaned the bare steel wheels.

I repainted them with three layers of Krylon Fusion all-in-one gloss black spray paint.

Not bad for a first try. I’m looking forward to taking off the current wheels and doing likewise with them.

The “Kopp Kar” is coming along nicely. (I also found a cheap used trailer hitch for it so I can haul my e bike with it on a hitch cargo carrier.) 392CD4BE-926A-400C-B2BC-CD6E90025AE8.jpeg 4D2F9104-4AAF-4E6F-B503-202BD5EC6B3B.jpeg 01537C38-9618-44E5-A06D-0023C0EC84B3.jpeg

Beth B, Sam, Jo M and 4 others like this.
  19. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

Wow
    , good job! They look great

AED, BrianK and Jo M like this.
  20. BrianK

BrianK Archangels Staff Member

I finally got all the wheels sanded and repainted on the Kopp Kar, and I sprayed the tires with some cheap black tire foam to match: 80F8C88C-78E1-44F2-A28B-32DEE8D169AC.jpeg

I’ve found that drivers in areas where they still have or recently had Crown Victorias for police cars really slow down around me. If I’m in the right lane on a 4 lane highway, cars will come racing up in the passing lane and as soon as they see my car, slam on the brakes, slow down and pull into my lane behind me. It’s so predictable it makes me laugh now. It’s usually in more rural areas where Crown Vics are still being used, even though they went out of production in 2011. Bigger towns and cities usually have the newer model police cars that have largely replaced these older Crown Vics.

AED, HeavenlyHosts, Mario and 3 others like this.