Van life & pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by BrianK, Aug 23, 2019.

1. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Finally. That was a long haul.

Beth B likes this.
  2. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

Actually, the broken wrist was more of a inconvenience, but I think I sustained some nerve damage now that the cast is off. Physical activity like lifting, etc. is curtailed. I hope it goes away after time, but it may not. Nothing compared to the pains of others. I just keep it in perspective and I can’t complain.
    Any pains at this point seem trivial to real suffering of others....and I’m fully aware of that. God must know I’m a poor sufferer and doesn’t overwhelm me at one time...He is very good at being consistent at spreading it out...and that’s likely a blessing in a spiritual sense. It always keeps you mindful that we are not in control of our life...God is.
    He giveth and He can take it away.....

Jo M, Sam, BrianK and 2 others like this.
  3. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

I agree with your post 100%
    I feel the same way
    :):coffee:

Jo M, Beth B and AED like this.
  4. Ananchal

Ananchal Vigilans

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Beth B likes this.
  5. AED

AED Powers

Ditto!

Beth B likes this.
  6. BrianK

BrianK Guest

Very cool!!

RoryRory and Jo M like this.
  7. Mario

Mario Powers

Look out Brian; there are lots of Moms on this forum!:LOL:

Safe in the Refuge of the Immaculate Heart!

AED, Mary's child, BrianK and 2 others like this.
  8. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

HH...I’d bet we all suffer similar set backs. Almost everyone I know is going through something.... we’re just getting by.
    I consoled myself frequenting with the thought that mine is easier than so many and it has eternal merit if I offer it up.
    Admittedly, I don’t know who , other than saints, ask for suffering....? That’s a grace I only asked for to bring my family back to God. Saints just did it for the love of God Himself....now that’s faith beyond my understanding.

Sam, AED, Mary's child and 2 others like this.
  9. Jo M

Jo M Powers

Oh this is awesome. My grandchildren would love to find this creature in the woods! :)

AED, Mary's child and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  10. BrianK

BrianK Guest

If I didn’t know better, I’d say the head is an oil pan? At least one arm looks like a big grilling utensil? What’s the pelvis made from?

AED and Jo M like this.
  11. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

You doctors are all alike. Always dissecting anatomy. :D

Sam, Beth B, AED and 1 other person like this.
  12. BrianK

BrianK Guest

I’m fully recovered from a recent mild bought of Covid, and I’ve taken up splitting firewood by hand, for the first time in at least ten years. I’ve had a gas powered hydraulic splitter at least that long, but my tractor was in the shop for needed (and expensive!) repairs, so I didn’t have it available to move the heavy hydraulic splitter to the area I’m currently processing firewood.

I use a light but really good splitting axe, but swinging it is a lot more of a workout than I remember!

Speaking of “gremlins”, my trailer has 12v interior lighting, fridge and water pump. Last week the onboard 12v converter that charges my 12v onboard deep cycle battery and powers everything when I’m not hooked up to 120v ac power, decided to quit, and my battery was dead within a day. So I’m having serious problems with the electric system in my trailer. Given @padraig ‘s recent misfortune with his camper, the possibility of fire is never far from my mind.

I do have 2 solar panels and a “solar generator” (a big 12v lithium battery recharged by solar, with USB, 12v and 120v outlets) but the system is not hooked up yet. Time to correct that.

And now that I have a good battery powered Stihl chainsaw too, I can charge it with my solar generator, even if the power is out and we have another gas shortage.

Always “something.” 48BBBA32-4974-4F3D-B1E1-18DCDB212FC6.jpeg

Mary's child, Sam, Beth B and 5 others like this.
  13. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

This reminds me of Tin Can Pilgrim, yes, there is a Catholic website for someone making the various sites in a trailer.

Home - Tin Can Pilgrim

Sam, HeavenlyHosts and BrianK like this.
  14. BrianK

BrianK Guest

Awesome, thanks! I recently sold my van but I picked up a great car for traveling, a 2009 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor with just 36,000 miles on it. So my future travels will either be with stops at cheap motels, or with a small light trailer or tent.

15. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

AED likes this.
  16. Mary P

Mary P Angels

Have you ever been to this Shrine? Our Lady of Mount Carmel Feast day is in July and I am looking for something to celebrate it. Would love to hear from anyone who has visited this shrine. Pictures look beautiful on ther web site.

17. Mario

Mario Powers

Sorry, Mary P. I'm only about 3 hrs. distant and I've never heard of it!o_O:(

Our Lady of Mount Carmel, pray for us!

18. BrianK

BrianK Guest

I’ve been to the Shrine of the North American Martyrs in upstate New York but not this one. I’ve never heard of it either.

Mary P and AED like this.
  19. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

Another interesting place I once got a brochure for is the "Grotto of Redemption" in West Bend, Iowa, it has one of the largest collections of precious stones in the world. It appears a lot of tourists go there.

Website: Home - The Shrine of the Grotto of the Redemption | West Bend, Iowa (westbendgrotto.com) The link talks about campiing arrangements etc. It did not seem very expensive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are nine grottos depicting different scenes of the life of Christ or the Bible. Virtual Tour - The Shrine of the Grotto of the Redemption | West Bend, Iowa (westbendgrotto.com) Construction began in 1912.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2021
    Mary P, AED, Catherine L and 4 others like this.
  20. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

I remember not too long ago, the Our Lady of Mount Carmel Shrine topic was brought up... I bumped into this recently, a Fatima Shrine in Boston... I'm not near there but some members may be... I'd go if I were in the area.

Fatima Shrine Boston

Fatima in Boston - Aleteia

I was wondering what the deal is with this. Sometimes Churches have attached Shrines to their land. I think it is connected to a nearby Church and a Monastery that perhaps they are trying to resuscitate:

159 – 201 Washington Street is located in an approximately 11.6-acre lot in the Brighton, directly adjacent to the St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center above Washington Street. The project will build four new residential buildings and will restore the abandoned St. Gabriel’s Monastery, a Boston Landmark Building in significant need of repair, and the adjacent Church, retain the property of the existing Shrine of Our Lady of Fatima, and renovate the vacant house at 201 Washington Street. The project will enhance the Monastery Path and other improvements within Fidelis Way Park and enhance and maintain public access to the approximately 3-acre Olmsted Brothers-designed landscaped area along Washington Street.

Project Restoration – Fatima Shrine Boston

So, it sounds like this is all a good work! If anyone has been there, I'd like to hear more, this really got my curiosity up.

BrianK, AED, Jo M and 1 other person like this.