Van life & pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by BrianK, Aug 23, 2019.

1. BrianK

BrianK Proud2bRC Staff Member

I have the fox squirrel in my pressure cooker for dinner tonight.

A big fat gray squirrel showed up this afternoon. Look at his size compared to the tail of this morning’s fox squirrel: 0E404950-3F0D-47BB-9F3C-AD64039F95B0.jpeg

2. padraig

padraig New Member

God forgive you.:) The poor creature.

3. BrianK

Should I seek competent spiritual direction?

;-)

A third one joined the other two this afternoon.

I’m eating dinner right now - fox squirrel prepared via one and a half hours in my electric pressure cooker. If one is fully planning on using game for sustenance I doubt the Good Lord will frown upon it.

josephite, Sam, Beth B and 1 other person like this.
  4. AED

AED Powers

Our ancestors ate them and were glad to have them.

josephite, Beth B and BrianK like this.
  5. BrianK

I’m glad to have them!

A third gray joined the crowd in my freezer this afternoon. EDE94939-358F-4D7C-AEF8-65D58775CB84.jpeg

josephite likes this.
  6. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

Great idea Mary! Thank you!

Mary's child likes this.
  7. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

Awwww ...sorry I can’t like this post Brian....praying for you tonight! Keep us posted.

josephite and Sam like this.
  8. Jo M

Jo M Powers

Sad to read this post Brian. :( I pray that God allows you to stick around for some time to come. God bless you.

Beth B and josephite like this.
  9. BrianK

Just got a call from cardiologist. Yesterday’s repeat echo with contrast showed no sign of a left ventricle thrombus, so I can at least go off the Lovanox (blood thinner) injections. Still very bad ejection fraction.

They said do whatever I want to, to tolerance, even riding my bike, but don’t stress my heart. If fatigue or shortness of breath stop and rest.

That's what I was doing before.

Beth B, josephite, Sam and 4 others like this.
  10. BrianK

So, how does one cut firewood when their heart trouble is severely limiting their ability to run a chainsaw? (Which, frankly, is hard work, something my cardiologist has warned me to forego due to my current severely depressed cardiac output.)

I got this brilliant idea recently that I could cut logs/limbs up to 6” or 7” diameter with a 12” miter saw, so for several weeks I’ve been searching Facebook Marketplace for a cheap beat up 12” miter saw. I couldn’t find anything locally, or inexpensive enough, after several weeks of searching.

But my cardiologist called me back yesterday to tell me my repeat echocardiogram, with contrast this time, showed no signs of a thrombus (blood clot) in my left ventricle, and I could stop the Lovenox blood thinner injections. Thank you Lord!

I asked him what I AM allowed to do now. He said anything to tolerance that doesn’t exert my heart, even riding my e bike, but to stop if any shortness of breath or fatigue.

Hankering to get back to doing something constructive, yesterday I finally found a decent saw for my needs: a 12” Ridgid miter saw, pretty well used and abused but cheap, and only 10 miles south of me. Plus he was selling it together with a big miter box stand with adjustable infeed and outfeed attachments. This was important as I needed to support the longer logs I’m cutting.

I picked it up, brought it home, and tried it out. One thing I read about cutting branches with a miter saw is to be very wary of kickback of the branches being cut, so I attached a 5” tall piece of lumber to the clamp that came with the saw that was intended to hold lumber in place while cutting.

So far everything is working as envisioned. I’ve filled the wheelbarrow with 6” “logs” for my mini wood stove. Time for a rest.

It’s a relief to figure out how to continue cutting firewood using a saw and technique my body can still tolerate. Those pieces of firewood for my little stove ain’t gonna cut themselves, and winter is almost here. 681AC0F8-77DD-4845-B49B-53733F28CE1E.jpeg 492CC93E-D476-4C06-A8BA-595E734DE475.jpeg

AED, Beth B, josephite and 4 others like this.
  11. Jo M

Jo M Powers

Good news that you don't have a clot, but please be very careful not to overdo it. Take it easy. :)

AED, Beth B, josephite and 2 others like this.
  12. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

ingenious

AED, Beth B, josephite and 3 others like this.
  13. Mary's child

Mary's child Powers

Agree with you HH! (y) Brian you continue to amaze. Many abundant graces and as Jo said don't overdo it.

AED, Beth B, josephite and 2 others like this.
  14. BrianK

Divine Providence. I needed an alternative way to cut firewood, I thought about it and researched options, and decided how to go about it.

Up till yesterday’s call from the cardiologist frankly I wasn’t ready yet to get back to work.

After that call I resumed my search, found a decent affordable used saw within an hour, brought it home yesterday after dark, and started cutting up firewood today.

Divine Providence. Even with used saws. And the timing of finding them.

Everything is Divine Providence.

AED, Jo M, Beth B and 3 others like this.
  15. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Divine Providence, and it will continue to be with us through the storm.

AED, Jo M, Beth B and 3 others like this.
  16. BrianK

Yes. And even in the midst of temporal chaos and what could cause despair, it brings peace and joy and obliterates worry and anxiety. All one has to do is recognize it. Our Father has everything in His Hands.

AED, Jo M, Beth B and 4 others like this.
  17. "Quis ut Deus"

"Quis ut Deus" Powers Staff Member

Yes Brian please be very careful with the mitre saw (I've years of experience) the kick back can be very harsh easy to brake a hand and worse if the wood flies off and hits you in the gut it's very very painful.. The problem with the mitre is repeatative cuts play with the mind and makes you take your eye off the ball... My advice take every cut with caution if you get resistance in the cutting action stop and repeat the cut.. Also take time out after every tenth cut to refocus the mind (y)

AED, Catherine L, Jo M and 4 others like this.
  18. BrianK

Excellent advice. I cut two wheelbarrows full then stopped for the day. My makeshift clamp extension worked well. Fortunately this saw is old and tired and the blade isn’t very sharp. So far instead of throwing anything it simply stopped dead in protest. But I can see where a sharp blade, knots and irregular shapes and angles of tree branches could bind the saw blade and cause a harmful if not deadly situation.

My biggest challenge right now is clearing the cut log from the saw. I have to wait till the saw stops spinning then throw the little cut piece into my wheelbarrow. If I’m not exceptionally careful it would be easy to come in contact with that spinning blade.

Years ago while building the hearth for my woodstove back in Pennsylvania out of 2”x8” lumber and 3/4” plywood, the sleeve cuff of my good waterproof Carhardtt coat came in contact with the spinning blade of a miter saw after a cut. My wrist was only millimeters from that blade. That cut in my coat was and is a good reminder to never become complacent with any saw, especially my miter saws.

A patient gave me four big slate slabs for this hearth project that I had to design like a jigsaw to fit this corner hearth, then cut the slate with a special blade on my circular saw. Then we added the decorative air stone to the walls and the hearth.

Notice the fleur de lis design on the andirons and top medallions of the wood stove, in honor of the French symbol of Our Lady: 3925DE65-D496-4176-BC5B-239C67C19AB6.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    Sam, AED, Catherine L and 2 others like this.
  19. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

Great advise!

Jo M and BrianK like this.
  20. Jo M

Jo M Powers

Impressive work Brian, a labor of love. I have never seen a wood stove like this, just beautiful. Makes me want one, but knowing me I would probably burn the house down. :D :eek:

Mary's child, AED and BrianK like this.