Tradition

Discussion in 'Music' started by padraig, Feb 13, 2022.

1. padraig

padraig Powers

I was just watching the reaction of Indian villagers to 450 year old Catholic Music they heard for the very first time..

They were awed and showed veneration.

Yet we dumped it.

Why?

sterph and Sam like this.
  2. Muzhik

Muzhik Powers

I wonder if they ever told these listeners what the words mean.

3. padraig

padraig Powers

I am not quite sure if they would be able to relate to an appeal to God in terms of asking for Mercy.

In Hindhuism the Gods are quite vengeful. You do have the idea of Karma, of getting exactly whats coming to you. So there is the idea of Justice. But not Mercy.

The Baghavid Gita, one of their epic texts about the Gods and their various goings on reminds me of Ancient Roman and Greek Legends were the Gods are endlessly, basically knocking the **** out of each other. So about Vengeance, not Mercy. So the God's are basically giant sized men, doing giant sized men things, like killing each other. In other words the Gods are reflections of our own sinful selves. Not any better, but considerably bigger and on a bigger stage.

Oppenheimer, the creator of the atomic bomb, quoted it on first seeing the flash of the big bomb going of:

'Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds'.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
    AED likes this.
  4. padraig

padraig Powers

It seems to me that only in Christianity do we get the idea of a One God at Peace with Himself in the idea of the Blessed Trinity. A family of love and Peace.

[​IMG]

Michael Pio and AED like this.
  5. padraig

padraig Powers

In many ways you know the Old Gods remind me so much of the Marvel Comic Super heroes and Villains. Just like us but with super powers.
    So they are attractive and yet at the same time somehow disappointing.

“Wisdom comes through suffering.
    Trouble, with its memories of pain,
    Drips in our hearts as we try to sleep,
    So men against their will
    Learn to practice moderation.
    Favours come to us from gods.”
    ― Aeschylus, Agamemnon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
    AED likes this.