Todays readings at Mass (reflection, comment or homily)

Discussion in 'Scriptural Thoughts' started by fallen saint, Jan 15, 2015.

1. miker

miker Powers

From today's' Divine Office, a beautiful reflection on mercy. (Sorry FS that I "borrowed" your thread to post here).

Second reading
    From a Sermon by Saint Caesarius of Arles, bishop
    Divine and human mercy

Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy. My brothers and sisters, sweet is the thought of mercy, but even more so is mercy itself. It is what all men hope for, but unfortunately, not what all men deserve. For while all men wish to receive it, only a few are willing to give it.

How can a man ask for himself what he refuses to give to another? If he expects to receive any mercy in heaven, he should give mercy on earth. Do we all desire to receive mercy? Let us make mercy our patroness now, and she will free us in the world to come. Yes, there is mercy in heaven, but the road to it is paved by our merciful acts on earth. As Scripture says: Lord, your mercy is in heaven.

There is, therefore, an earthly as well as heavenly mercy, that is to say, a human and a divine mercy. Human mercy has compassion on the miseries of the poor. Divine mercy grants forgiveness of sins. Whatever human mercy bestows her on earth, divine mercy will return to us in our homeland. In this life God feels cold and hunger in all who are stricken with poverty; for, remember, he once said: What you have done to the least of my brothers you have done to me. Yes, God who sees fit to give his mercy in heaven wishes it to be a reality here on earth.

What kind of people are we? When God gives, we wish to receive, but when he begs, we refuse to give. Remember, it was Christ who said: I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat. When the poor are starving, Christ too hungers. Do not neglect to improve the unhappy conditions of the poor, if you wish to ensure that your own sins be forgiven you. Christ hungers now, my brethren; it is he who deigns to hunger and thirst in the persons of the poor. And what he will return in heaven tomorrow is what he receives here on earth today.

What do you wish for, what do you pray for, my dear brothers and sisters, when you come to church? Is it mercy? How can it be anything else? Show mercy, then, while you are on earth, and mercy will be shown to you in heaven. A poor person asks you for something; you ask God for something. He begs for a morsel of food; you beg for eternal life. Give to the beggar so that you may merit to receive from Christ. For he it is who says: Give and it will be given to you. It baffles me that you have the impudence to ask for what you do not want to give. Give when you come to church. Give to the poor. Give them whatever your resources will allow.

- See more at: http://divineoffice.org/ord-w17-mon...e&date=20150727#sthash.UpyVBAhn.HTAwagFj.dpuf

2. fallen saint

fallen saint Baby steps :)

Readings at Mass

First reading
    Leviticus 23:1,4-11,15-16,27,34-37 ©

The Lord spoke to Moses. He said:
    ‘These are the Lord’s solemn festivals, the sacred assemblies to which you are to summon the sons of Israel on the appointed day.
    ‘The fourteenth day of the first month, between the two evenings, is the Passover of the Lord; and the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of Unleavened Bread for the Lord. For seven days you shall eat bread without leaven. On the first day you are to hold a sacred assembly; you must do no heavy work. For seven days you shall offer a burnt offering to the Lord. The seventh day is to be a day of sacred assembly; you must do no work.’
    The Lord spoke to Moses. He said:
    ‘Speak to the sons of Israel and say to them:
    ‘“When you enter the land that I give you, and gather in the harvest there, you must bring the first sheaf of your harvest to the priest, and he is to present it to the Lord with the gesture of offering, so that you may be acceptable. The priest shall make this offering on the day after the sabbath.
    ‘“From the day after the sabbath, the day on which you bring the sheaf of offering, you are to count seven full weeks. You are to count fifty days, to the day after the seventh sabbath, and then you are to offer the Lord a new oblation.
    ‘“The tenth day of the seventh month shall be the Day of Atonement. You are to hold a sacred assembly. You must fast, and you must offer a burnt offering to the Lord.
    ‘“The fifteenth day of this seventh month shall be the feast of Tabernacles for the Lord, lasting seven days. The first day is a day of sacred assembly; you must do no heavy work. For seven days you must offer a burnt offering to the Lord. On the eighth day you are to hold a sacred assembly, you must offer a burnt offering to the Lord. It is a day of solemn meeting; you must do no heavy work.
    ‘“These are the solemn festivals of the Lord to which you are to summon the children of Israel, sacred assemblies for the purpose of offering burnt offerings, holocausts, oblations, sacrifices and libations to the Lord, according to the ritual of each day.”’

Psalm
    Psalm 80:3-6,10-11 ©

Ring out your joy to God our strength.

Raise a song and sound the timbrel,
    the sweet-sounding harp and the lute;
    blow the trumpet at the new moon,
    when the moon is full, on our feast.

For this is Israel’s law,
    a command of the God of Jacob.
    He imposed it as a rule on Joseph,
    when he went out against the land of Egypt.

Let there be no foreign god among you.
    no worship of an alien god.
    I am the Lord your God,
    who brought you from the land of Egypt.
    Open wide your mouth and I will fill it.

Gospel Acclamationcf.1Th2:13

Alleluia, alleluia!
    Accept God’s message for what it really is:
    God’s message, and not some human thinking.
    Alleluia!

Or1P1:25

Alleluia, alleluia!
    The word of the Lord remains for ever:
    What is this word?
    It is the Good News that has been brought to you.
    Alleluia!

Gospel
    Matthew 13:54-58 ©

Coming to his home town, Jesus taught the people in their synagogue in such a way that they were astonished and said, ‘Where did the man get this wisdom and these miraculous powers? This is the carpenter’s son, surely? Is not his mother the woman called Mary, and his brothers James and Joseph and Simon and Jude? His sisters, too, are they not all here with us? So where did the man get it all?’ And they would not accept him. But Jesus said to them, ‘A prophet is only despised in his own country and in his own house’, and he did not work many miracles there because of their lack of faith.

3. Fatima

Fatima Powers

I found today's reading to be profound for our times as we are in the Shemitah, (the 7th year of rest and mercy/blessings from the Lord or tribulation if man is not doing the will of God) , which ends September 13th (the day Johnathan Cahn says the economic system collapses). Also, these readings came out on the first Saturday of the month, which as we know is a day set aside to fulfill the request of our Lady of Fatima for the 5 first Saturday's of reparation to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Not a coincidence IMHO.

Jeanne likes this.
  4. Fatima

Fatima Powers

The crops (corn and beans) in Iowa and Minnesota are tremendous at this point. The corn is supposed to be knee high by the 4th of July and it was already 6' tall then and over 9' now. Farmers say they have never seen it this good. Yet, I can't help but wonder if it will come to harvest in the jubilee year of the Shemitha when man has all but ignored his God and his laws. Time will tell.

5. fallen saint

Readings at Mass

First reading1 Kings 19:4-8 ©

Elijah went into the wilderness, a day’s journey, and sitting under a furze bush wished he were dead. ‘O Lord,’ he said ‘I have had enough. Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors.’ Then he lay down and went to sleep. But an angel touched him and said, ‘Get up and eat.’ He looked round, and there at his head was a scone baked on hot stones, and a jar of water. He ate and drank and then lay down again. But the angel of the Lord came back a second time and touched him and said, ‘Get up and eat, or the journey will be too long for you.’ So he got up and ate and drank, and strengthened by that food he walked for forty days and forty nights until he reached Horeb, the mountain of God.

PsalmPsalm 33:2-9 ©

Taste and see that the Lord is good.

I will bless the Lord at all times,
    his praise always on my lips;
    in the Lord my soul shall make its boast.
    The humble shall hear and be glad.

Glorify the Lord with me.
    Together let us praise his name.
    I sought the Lord and he answered me;
    from all my terrors he set me free.

Look towards him and be radiant;
    let your faces not be abashed.
    This poor man called, the Lord heard him
    and rescued him from all his distress.
    The angel of the Lord is encamped
    around those who revere him, to rescue them.
    He is happy who seeks refuge in him.

Second reading
    Ephesians 4:30-5:2 ©

Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God who has marked you with his seal for you to be set free when the day comes. Never have grudges against others, or lose your temper, or raise your voice to anybody, or call each other names, or allow any sort of spitefulness. Be friends with one another, and kind, forgiving each other as readily as God forgave you in Christ.
    Try, then, to imitate God as children of his that he loves and follow Christ loving as he loved you, giving himself up in our place as a fragrant offering and a sacrifice to God.

Gospel AcclamationJn14:23

Alleluia, alleluia!
    If anyone loves me he will keep my word,
    and my Father will love him,
    and we shall come to him.
    Alleluia!

OrJn6:51

Alleluia, alleluia!
    I am the living bread which has come down from heaven,
    says the Lord.
    Anyone who eats this bread will live for ever.
    Alleluia!

GospelJohn 6:41-51 ©

The Jews were complaining to each other about Jesus, because he had said, ‘I am the bread that came down from heaven.’ ‘Surely this is Jesus son of Joseph’ they said. ‘We know his father and mother. How can he now say, “I have come down from heaven”?’ Jesus said in reply, ‘Stop complaining to each other.
    ‘No one can come to me
    unless he is drawn by the Father who sent me,
    and I will raise him up at the last day.
    It is written in the prophets:
    They will all be taught by God,
    and to hear the teaching of the Father,
    and learn from it,
    is to come to me.
    Not that anybody has seen the Father,
    except the one who comes from God:
    he has seen the Father.
    I tell you most solemnly,
    everybody who believes has eternal life.
    ‘I am the bread of life.
    Your fathers ate the manna in the desert
    and they are dead;
    but this is the bread that comes down from heaven,
    so that a man may eat it and not die.
    I am the living bread which has come down from heaven.
    Anyone who eats this bread will live for ever;
    and the bread that I shall give is my flesh,
    for the life of the world.’

6. miker

miker Powers

It's amazing sometimes how the readings can seem to speak directly to you. The first reading hit me square on. I've been facing lots of challenges these past few months- my kids struggling in relationships, anxiety and frustrations at work, to be honest an assault on my spirit of hope and trust. Just yesterday I told my wife that I was just so tired and it's becoming harder to join the battle. And then to hear that the great prophet Elijiah said almost the same- get too was tired. And the answer - so simple and yet so profound- eat the bread of life. How blessed are we as Catholics to have the Bread of Life- Jesus made present everyday at Mass in Holy Communion. He is my sustenance for the journey. My hope when I'm tired and feel like giving up. Amazing that the Holy Spirit would be so kind to me and give me these words today!

Jeanne and fallen saint like this.
  7. padraig

padraig Powers

I wish more people were reading this forum, there is not much time left.

8. garabandal

garabandal Powers

Are your spiritual antennae sensing something big on the horizon, Padraig?

9. fallen saint

Readings at Mass

First reading
    Judges 2:11-19 ©

The sons of Israel did what displeases the Lord, and served the Baals. They deserted the Lord, the God of their ancestors, who had brought them out of the land of Egypt, and followed other gods from the gods of the peoples round them. They bowed down to these; they provoked the Lord; they deserted the Lord to serve Baal and Astarte. Then the Lord’s anger flamed out against Israel. He handed them over to pillagers who plundered them; he delivered them to the enemies surrounding them, and they were not able to resist them. In every warlike venture, the hand of the Lord was there to foil them, as the Lord had warned, as the Lord had sworn to them. Thus he reduced them to dire distress.
    Then the Lord appointed judges for them, and rescued the men of Israel from the hands of their plunderers. But they would not listen to their judges. They prostituted themselves to other gods, and bowed down before these. Very quickly they left the path their ancestors had trodden in obedience to the orders of the Lord; they did not follow their example. When the Lord appointed judges for them, the Lord was with the judge and rescued them from the hands of their enemies as long as the judge lived, for the Lord felt pity for them as they groaned under the iron grip of their oppressors. But once the judge was dead, they relapsed and behaved even worse than their ancestors. They followed other gods; they served them and bowed before them, and would not give up the practices and stubborn ways of their ancestors at all.

Psalm
    Psalm 105:34-37,39-40,43-44 ©

O Lord, remember me out of the love you have for your people.

They failed to destroy the peoples
    as the Lord had given command,
    but instead they mingled with the nations
    and learned to act as they did.

They worshipped the idols of the nations
    and these became a snare to entrap them.
    They even offered their own sons
    and their daughters in sacrifice to demons.

So they defiled themselves by their deeds
    and broke their marriage bond with the Lord
    till his anger blazed against his people;
    he was filled with horror at his chosen ones.

Time after time he rescued them,
    but in their malice they dared to defy him.
    In spite of this he paid heed to their distress,
    so often as he heard their cry.

Gospel AcclamationPs118:24

Alleluia, alleluia!
    Train me, Lord, to observe your law,
    to keep it with my heart.
    Alleluia!

OrMt5:3

Alleluia, alleluia!
    How happy are the poor in spirit:
    theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
    Alleluia!

Gospel
    Matthew 19:16-22 ©

There was a man who came to Jesus and asked, ‘Master, what good deed must I do to possess eternal life?’ Jesus said to him, ‘Why do you ask me about what is good? There is one alone who is good. But if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.’ He said, ‘Which?’ ‘These:’ Jesus replied ‘You must not kill. You must not commit adultery. You must not bring false witness. Honour your father and mother, and: you must love your neighbour as yourself.’ The young man said to him, ‘I have kept all these. What more do I need to do?’ Jesus said, ‘If you wish to be perfect, go and sell what you own and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.’ But when the young man heard these words he went away sad, for he was a man of great wealth.

10. padraig

padraig Powers

'The sons of Israel did what displeases the Lord, and served the Baals. They deserted the Lord, the God of their ancestors, who had brought them out of the land of Egypt, and followed other gods from the gods of the peoples round them. They bowed down to these; they provoked the Lord; they deserted the Lord to serve Baal and Astarte.'

The Worship of Baal was the New Age , Sexual decadence of its day. Effectivcley the New Demon Worship of the West:

http://www.theignorantfishermen.com/2010/12/baalisms-suicidal-nature-worship-and.html

View attachment 3297

[​IMG]
    Astarte was the Goddess of Sexual love. Obvioulsy also worshipped as a Demon in the West as well.

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/2048-astarte-worship-among-the-hebrews

View attachment 3298

[​IMG]

11. padraig

padraig Powers

Then we wonder why so many people are possessed?

12. fallen saint

Readings at Mass

First reading
    Judges 6:11-24 ©

The angel of the Lord came and sat under the terebinth at Ophrah which belonged to Joash of Abiezer. Gideon his son was threshing wheat inside the winepress to keep it hidden from Midian, when the angel of the Lord appeared to him and said, ‘The Lord is with you, valiant warrior!’ Gideon answered him, ‘Forgive me, my lord, but if the Lord is with us, then why is it that all this is happening to us now? And where are all the wonders our ancestors tell us of when they say, “Did not the Lord bring us out of Egypt?” But now the Lord has deserted us; he has abandoned us to Midian.’
    At this the Lord turned to him and said, ‘Go in the strength now upholding you, and you will rescue Israel from the power of Midian. Do I not send you myself?’ Gideon answered him, ‘Forgive me, my lord, but how can I deliver Israel? My clan, you must know, is the weakest in Manasseh and I am the least important in my family.’ the Lord answered him, ‘I will be with you and you shall crush Midian as though it were a single man.’ Gideon said to him, ‘If I have found favour in your sight, give me a sign that it is you who speak to me. I beg you, do not go away until I come back. I will bring you my offering and set it down before you.’ And he answered, ‘I will stay until you return.’
    Gideon went away and prepared a young goat and made unleavened cakes with an ephah of flour. He put the meat into a basket and the broth into a pot, then brought it all to him under the terebinth. As he came near, the angel of the Lord said to him, ‘Take the meat and unleavened cakes, put them on this rock and pour the broth over them.’ Gideon did so. Then the angel of the Lord reached out the tip of the staff in his hand and touched the meat and unleavened cakes. Fire sprang from the rock and consumed the meat and unleavened cakes, and the angel of the Lord vanished before his eyes. Then Gideon knew this was the angel of the Lord, and he said, ‘Alas, my Lord! I have seen the angel of the Lord face to face!’ the Lord answered him, ‘Peace be with you; have no fear; you will not die.’ Gideon built an altar there to the Lord and called it The-Lord-is-Peace.

Psalm
    Psalm 84:9,11-14 ©

The Lord speaks peace to his people.

I will hear what the Lord God has to say,
    a voice that speaks of peace,
    peace for his people and his friends
    and those who turn to him in their hearts.

Mercy and faithfulness have met;
    justice and peace have embraced.
    Faithfulness shall spring from the earth
    and justice look down from heaven.

The Lord will make us prosper
    and our earth shall yield its fruit.
    Justice shall march before him
    and peace shall follow his steps.

Gospel AcclamationPs24:4,5

Alleluia, alleluia!
    Teach me your paths, my God,
    make me walk in your truth.
    Alleluia!

Or2Co8:9

Alleluia, alleluia!
    Jesus Christ was rich,
    but he became poor for your sake,
    to make you rich out of his poverty.
    Alleluia!

Gospel
    Matthew 19:23-30 ©

Jesus said to his disciples, ‘I tell you solemnly, it will be hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Yes, I tell you again, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.’ When the disciples heard this they were astonished. ‘Who can be saved, then?’ they said. Jesus gazed at them. ‘For men’ he told them ‘this is impossible; for God everything is possible.’
    Then Peter spoke. ‘What about us?’ he said to him ‘We have left everything and followed you. What are we to have, then?’ Jesus said to him, ‘I tell you solemnly, when all is made new and the Son of Man sits on his throne of glory, you will yourselves sit on twelve thrones to judge the twelve tribes of Israel. And everyone who has left houses, brothers, sisters, father, mother, children or land for the sake of my name will be repaid a hundred times over, and also inherit eternal life.
    ‘Many who are first will be last, and the last, first.’

13. padraig

padraig Powers

I've never been short when I needed it and never anything left over when I used it.

Never too much.

Never too little.

Thank you Jesus.

14. fallen saint

Readings at Mass

First readingJudges 9:6-15 ©

All the leading men of Shechem and all Beth-millo gathered, and proclaimed Abimelech king by the terebinth of the pillar at Shechem.
    News of this was brought to Jotham. He came and stood on the top of Mount Gerizim and shouted aloud for them to hear:
    ‘Hear me, leaders of Shechem,
    that God may also hear you!
    ‘One day the trees went out
    to anoint a king to rule over them.
    They said to the olive tree, “Be our king!”
    ‘The olive tree answered them,
    “Must I forego my oil
    which gives honour to gods and men,
    to stand swaying above the trees?”
    ‘Then the trees said to the fig tree,
    “Come now, you be our king!”
    ‘The fig tree answered them,
    “Must I forego my sweetness,
    forego my excellent fruit,
    ‘Then the trees said to the vine,
    ‘The vine answered them,
    “Must I forego my wine
    which cheers the heart of gods and men,
    ‘Then all the trees said to the thorn bush,
    ‘And the thorn bush answered the trees,
    “If in all good faith you anoint me king to reign over you,
    then come and shelter in my shade.
    If not, fire will come from the thorn bush
    and devour the cedars of Lebanon.”’

PsalmPsalm 20:2-7 ©

O Lord, your strength gives joy to the king.

O Lord, your strength gives joy to the king;
    how your saving help makes him glad!
    You have granted him his heart’s desire;
    you have not refused the prayer of his lips.

You came to meet him with the blessings of success,
    you have set on his head a crown of pure gold.
    He asked you for life and this you have given,
    days that will last from age to age.

Your saving help has given him glory.
    You have laid upon him majesty and splendour,
    you have granted your blessings to him forever.
    You have made him rejoice with the joy of your presence.

Gospel AcclamationPs118:135

Alleluia, alleluia!
    Let your face shine on your servant,
    and teach me your decrees.
    Alleluia!

OrHeb4:12

Alleluia, alleluia!
    The word of God is something alive and active:
    it can judge secret emotions and thoughts.
    Alleluia!

GospelMatthew 20:1-16 ©

Jesus told this parable to his disciples: ‘The kingdom of heaven is like a landowner going out at daybreak to hire workers for his vineyard. He made an agreement with the workers for one denarius a day, and sent them to his vineyard. Going out at about the third hour he saw others standing idle in the market place and said to them, “You go to my vineyard too and I will give you a fair wage.” So they went. At about the sixth hour and again at about the ninth hour, he went out and did the same. Then at about the eleventh hour he went out and found more men standing round, and he said to them, “Why have you been standing here idle all day?” “Because no one has hired us” they answered. He said to them, “You go into my vineyard too.” In the evening, the owner of the vineyard said to his bailiff, “Call the workers and pay them their wages, starting with the last arrivals and ending with the first.” So those who were hired at about the eleventh hour came forward and received one denarius each. When the first came, they expected to get more, but they too received one denarius each. They took it, but grumbled at the landowner. “The men who came last” they said “have done only one hour, and you have treated them the same as us, though we have done a heavy day’s work in all the heat.” He answered one of them and said, “My friend, I am not being unjust to you; did we not agree on one denarius? Take your earnings and go. I choose to pay the last comer as much as I pay you. Have I no right to do what I like with my own? Why be envious because I am generous?” Thus the last will be first, and the first, last.’

15. padraig

padraig Powers

'Thus the last will be first, and the first, last.’

I love to hear conversion stories especially of great sinners. I find these amazing. But there is a very great mystery to this for converts , their hearts seem to be set on fire. Whereas regular Catholics who have had their feet close on the ground for years seem often to crawl along like snails newcomers appear to zoom along on jets.

I am seldom shocked and sickened by the stories of converts previous goings on, for I have been down in the gutter myself just as far as you could go. But I did feel shock today reading the story of this man:

[​IMG]

Zachary King a former Satanic 'Wizard'.

http://www.lepantoinstitute.org/abo...rmed-satanic-rituals-inside-abortion-clinics/

Yeah he did throw me a lot. I had to stop a short while into reading his tale. You think you have some understanding of evil then you discover you know very little.

But honestly there are some things, well ,I don't want to know. I just want to remain ignorant off.

How does God bear it?

16. fallen saint

Readings at Mass

First readingJudges 11:29-39 ©

The spirit of the Lord came on Jephthah, who crossed Gilead and Manasseh, passed through to Mizpah in Gilead, and from Mizpah in Gilead made his way to the rear of the Ammonites. And Jephthah made a vow to the Lord, ‘If you deliver the Ammonites into my hands, then the first person to meet me from the door of my house when I return in triumph from fighting the Ammonites shall belong to the Lord, and I will offer him up as a holocaust. Jephthah marched against the Ammonites to attack them, and the Lord delivered them into his power. He harassed them from Aroer almost to Minnith (twenty towns) and to Abel-keramim. It was a very severe defeat, and the Ammonites were humbled before the Israelites.
    As Jephthah returned to his house at Mizpah, his daughter came out from it to meet him; she was dancing to the sound of timbrels. This was his only child; apart from her he had neither son nor daughter. When he saw her, he tore his clothes and exclaimed, ‘Oh my daughter, what sorrow you are bringing me! Must it be you, the cause of my ill-fortune! I have given a promise to the Lord, and I cannot unsay what I have said.’ She answered him, ‘My father, you have given a promise to the Lord; treat me as the vow you took binds you to, since the Lord has given you vengeance on your enemies the Ammonites.’ Then she said to her father, ‘Grant me one request. Let me be free for two months. I shall go and wander in the mountains, and with my companions bewail my virginity.’ He answered, ‘Go’, and let her depart for two months. So she went away with her companions and bewailed her virginity in the mountains. When the two months were over, she returned to her father, and he treated her as the vow that he had uttered bound him. She had never known a man.

PsalmPsalm 39:5,7-10 ©

Here I am, Lord! I come to do your will.

Happy the man who has placed
    his trust in the Lord
    and has not gone over to the rebels
    who follow false gods.

You do not ask for sacrifice and offerings,
    but an open ear.
    You do not ask for holocaust and victim.
    Instead, here am I.

In the scroll of the book it stands written
    that I should do your will.
    My God, I delight in your law
    in the depth of my heart.

Your justice I have proclaimed
    in the great assembly.
    My lips I have not sealed;
    you know it, O Lord.

Gospel AcclamationPs118:27

Alleluia, alleluia!
    Make me grasp the way of your precepts,
    and I will muse on your wonders.
    Alleluia!

OrPs94:8

Alleluia, alleluia!
    Harden not your hearts today,
    but listen to the voice of the Lord.
    Alleluia!

GospelMatthew 22:1-14 ©

Jesus said to the chief priests and elders of the people, ‘The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who gave a feast for his son’s wedding. He sent his servants to call those who had been invited, but they would not come. Next he sent some more servants. “Tell those who have been invited” he said “that I have my banquet all prepared, my oxen and fattened cattle have been slaughtered, everything is ready. Come to the wedding.” But they were not interested: one went off to his farm, another to his business, and the rest seized his servants, maltreated them and killed them. The king was furious. He despatched his troops, destroyed those murderers and burnt their town. Then he said to his servants, “The wedding is ready; but as those who were invited proved to be unworthy, go to the crossroads in the town and invite everyone you can find to the wedding.” So these servants went out on to the roads and collected together everyone they could find, bad and good alike; and the wedding hall was filled with guests. When the king came in to look at the guests he noticed one man who was not wearing a wedding garment, and said to him, “How did you get in here, my friend, without a wedding garment?” And the man was silent. Then the king said to the attendants, “Bind him hand and foot and throw him out into the dark, where there will be weeping and grinding of teeth.” For many are called, but few are chosen.’

17. fallen saint

Readings at Mass

First reading
    Ruth 1:1,3-6,14-16,22 ©

In the days of the Judges famine came to the land and a certain man from Bethlehem of Judah went – he, his wife and his two sons – to live in the country of Moab. Elimelech, Naomi’s husband, died, and she and her two sons were left. These married Moabite women: one was named Orpah and the other Ruth. They lived there about ten years. Then both Mahlon and Chilion also died and the woman was bereft of her two sons and her husband. So she and her daughters-in-law prepared to return from the country of Moab, for she had heard that the Lord had visited his people and given them food. Then Orpah kissed her mother-in-law and went back to her people. But Ruth clung to her.
    Naomi said to her, ‘Look, your sister-in-law has gone back to her people and to her god. You must return too; follow your sister-in-law.’
    But Ruth said, ‘Do not press me to leave you and to turn back from your company, for
    ‘wherever you go, I will go,
    wherever you live, I will live.
    Your people shall be my people,
    and your God, my God.’
    This was how Naomi, she who returned from the country of Moab, came back with Ruth the Moabitess her daughter-in-law. And they came to Bethlehem at the beginning of the barley harvest.

PsalmPsalm 145:5-10 ©

My soul, give praise to the Lord.

or
    Alleluia!

He is happy who is helped by Jacob’s God,
    whose hope is in the Lord his God,
    who alone made heaven and earth,
    the seas and all they contain.

or
    Alleluia!

It is he who keeps faith for ever,
    who is just to those who are oppressed.
    It is he who gives bread to the hungry,
    the Lord, who sets prisoners free,

or
    Alleluia!

the Lord who gives sight to the blind,
    who raises up those who are bowed down,
    the Lord, who protects the stranger
    and upholds the widow and orphan.

or
    Alleluia!

It is the Lord who loves the just
    but thwarts the path of the wicked.
    The Lord will reign for ever,
    Zion’s God, from age to age.

or
    Alleluia!

Gospel AcclamationPs118:18

Alleluia, alleluia!
    Open my eyes, O Lord, that I may consider
    the wonders of your law.
    Alleluia!

OrPs24:4,5

Alleluia, alleluia!
    Teach me your paths, my God,
    make me walk in your truth.
    Alleluia!

Gospel
    Matthew 22:34-40 ©

When the Pharisees heard that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees they got together and, to disconcert him, one of them put a question, ‘Master, which is the greatest commandment of the Law?’ Jesus said, ‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the greatest and the first commandment. The second resembles it: You must love your neighbour as yourself. On these two commandments hang the whole Law, and the Prophets also.’

18. padraig

padraig Powers

‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.'

This is all teaching on prayer in a nutshell The Spiritual Path Described in Seconds.

'You must love your neighbour as yourself.'

Here is the test of our prayer and Spriitual Path described with a brilliant light.

My heart catches fire as I read this.
    [​IMG]

19. miker

miker Powers

Beautiful readings. I am always struck by the faith of Ruth in this reading. Here she is- a Moabite woman - in many ways an outcast in the eyes of the Israrelites- they worship false gods. And even with Naomi - a woman brought up under the law- a woman who supposedly worship the true Gid- Yaweh- she wants to send her daughter in law back. And yet through faith and I believe grace, Ruth says no - I want your God to be my God to! Maybe a lesson for us today? Peace

bflocatholic and Joe Crozier like this.
  20. fallen saint

Readings at Mass

First reading
    Ruth 2:1-3,8-11,4:13-17 ©

Naomi had a kinsman on her husband’s side, well-to-do and of Elimelech’s clan. His name was Boaz.
    Ruth the Moabitess said to Naomi, ‘Let me go into the fields and glean among the ears of corn in the footsteps of some man who will look on me with favour.’ And she said to her, ‘Go, my daughter.’ So she set out and went to glean in the fields after the reapers. And it chanced that she came to that part of the fields which belonged to Boaz of Elimelech’s clan.
    Boaz said to Ruth, ‘Listen, my daughter, and understand this. You are not to glean in any other field, do not leave here but stay with my servants. Keep your eyes on whatever part of the field they are reaping and follow behind. I have ordered my servants not to molest you. And if you are thirsty, go to the pitchers and drink what the servants have drawn.’ Then she fell on her face, bowing to the ground. And she said to him, ‘How have I so earned your favour that you take notice of me, even though I am a foreigner?’ And Boaz answered her, I have been told all you have done for your mother-in-law since your husband’s death, and how you left your own father and mother and the land where you were born to come among a people whom you knew nothing about before you came here.’
    So Boaz took Ruth and she became his wife. And when they came together, the Lord made her conceive and she bore a son. And the women said to Naomi, ‘Blessed be the Lord who has not left the dead man without next of kin this day to perpetuate his name in Israel. The child will be a comfort to you and the prop of your old age, for your daughter-in-law who loves you and is more to you than seven sons has given him birth.’ And Naomi took the child to her own bosom and she became his nurse.
    And the women of the neighbourhood gave him a name. ‘A son has been born for Naomi’ they said; and they named him Obed. This was the father of David’s father, Jesse.

PsalmPsalm 127:1-5 ©

Indeed thus shall be blessed the man who fears the Lord.

O blessed are those who fear the Lord
    and walk in his ways!
    By the labour of your hands you shall eat.
    You will be happy and prosper.

Your wife will be like a fruitful vine
    in the heart of your house;
    your children like shoots of the olive,
    around your table.

Indeed thus shall be blessed
    the man who fears the Lord.
    May the Lord bless you from Zion
    all the days of your life!

Gospel AcclamationPs118:36,29

Alleluia, alleluia!
    Bend my heart to your will, O Lord,
    and teach me your law.
    Alleluia!

OrMt23:9,10

Alleluia, alleluia!
    You have only one Father,
    and he is in heaven;
    you have only one Teacher,
    the Christ.
    Alleluia!

GospelMatthew 23:1-12 ©

Addressing the people and his disciples Jesus said, ‘The scribes and the Pharisees occupy the chair of Moses. You must therefore do what they tell you and listen to what they say; but do not be guided by what they do: since they do not practise what they preach. They tie up heavy burdens and lay them on men’s shoulders, but will they lift a finger to move them? Not they! Everything they do is done to attract attention, like wearing broader phylacteries and longer tassels, like wanting to take the place of honour at banquets and the front seats in the synagogues, being greeted obsequiously in the market squares and having people call them Rabbi.
    ‘You, however, must not allow yourselves to be called Rabbi, since you have only one master, and you are all brothers. You must call no one on earth your father, since you have only one Father, and he is in heaven. Nor must you allow yourselves to be called teachers, for you have only one Teacher, the Christ. The greatest among you must be your servant. Anyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and anyone who humbles himself will be exalted.’