The Venerable Anna Maria Tiaggi

Discussion in 'Books, movies, links, websites.' started by padraig, Sep 19, 2022.

1. padraig

padraig Powers

With great pleasure I have discovered on Amazon Kindle the first biography of the great Italian Mystic Anna Maria Tiaggi ...and very cheap too at only 80p.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. padraig

padraig Powers

There can be no doubt about the authenticity of this working class mother of a very large family. She was consulted in her own lifetime by Popes , Cardinals and the Great and Learned from Europe and beyond, earning after her death the title Venerable.

So its a relief to be reading up on a Mystic with whom we are on very safe ground.

Her incorrupt body is kept in a Church in the Travestere, a working class area of Rome a short enough walk from the Vatican. I happened to walk into it by accident one day when a conference on her life was going on attended by not a few Cardinals and Bishops. This was a bit of an eye opener as I could see that the Italians, especially her fellow Romans, still take her very,very seriously indeed.

She has the most beautiful, peaceful, holy face.

3. padraig

padraig Powers

In the forward of the book it states that Vatican Officials took away many of her prophecies and revelations regarding the Church and buried them, hidden in the Vatican. No doubt they did this, 'For your own good'. This is a constant with Catholics mystics and the Church Powers that be. The best example being the Third Secret of Fatima of course.

Our Lady of La Salette on the other hand commented that the real reason they bury such messages from heaven is that it makes them look bad.

DeGaulle, KeiMia, Carol55 and 5 others like this.
  4. padraig

padraig Powers

Anna Maria is so appealing in that her life is so very, like in many respects similiar to the ordinary very busy every day life of the ordinary Catholic lay person today. She was the mother of a large family which grew and grew as time progressed. She was beautiful and married to a very bad tempered hard to live with husband. In her early days she was a good but not extraordinary Catholic girl and woman who enjoyed nothing better than to have a night out and to dress and groom well and be noticed and admired and her husband liked and encouraged her in this. She wound up with a daughter in law who was a torture and her husband could be a real time. She struggled with work/ prayer balance...were to find a moment for prayer. But she was the perfect struggler she got all things done. A great wife to her husband who commented after her death how he could not have found a better wife for himself or mother for his children.

She was world famous but refused a penny that was offered her. In one case when offered a huge lot of dough by a Queen she replied, 'Foolish woman! Do you not know I serve the King of Heaven who can give me anything I need!'

What a wonderful reply and trust in God's Providence. She was truly working class and was actually happy to be so , with hardly a dime as it taught her to rely on God's providence.

Proverbs 31:10-31

In Praise of a Good Wife
    10 A truly good wife
    is the most precious treasure
    a man can find!
    11 Her husband depends on her,
    and she never
    lets him down.
    12 She is good to him
    every day of her life,
    13 and with her own hands
    she gladly makes clothes.

14 She is like a sailing ship
    that brings food
    from across the sea.
    15 She gets up before daylight
    to prepare food for her family
    and for her servants.a]">[a]
    16 She knows how to buy land
    and how to plant a vineyard,
    17 and she always works hard.
    18 She knows when to buy or sell,
    and she stays busy
    until late at night.
    19 She spins her own cloth,
    20 and she helps the poor
    and the needy.
    21 Her family has warm clothing,
    and so she doesn't worry
    when it snows.
    22 She does her own sewing,
    and everything she wears
    is beautiful.

23 Her husband is a well-known
    and respected leader
    in the city.
    24 She makes clothes to sell
    to the shop owners.
    25 She is strong and graceful,b]">[b]
    as well as cheerful
    about the future.
    26 Her words are sensible,
    and her advice
    is thoughtful.
    27 She takes good care
    of her family
    and is never lazy.
    28 Her children praise her,
    and with great pride
    her husband says,
    29 “There are many good women,
    but you are the best!”

30 Charm can be deceiving,
    and beauty fades away,
    but a woman
    who honors the Lord
    deserves to be praised.
    31 Show her respect—
    praise her in public
    for what she has done.

Carol55, Jo M and Sam like this.
  5. padraig

padraig Powers

I love Anna Maria so much already. She reminds me so much of my own mother.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
    Clare A, Carol55, Heidi and 1 other person like this.
  6. padraig

padraig Powers

Reading the lives of the Saints is such a joy.

They speak of Anna Maria having a conversion, which is true. But truly herself and her husband were really good Catholics before they even married; especially by today's standards. For instance when they first got to know each other they both went into a Discernment Process to check if it was God's Will that they do so> I wonder how many people would even think of doing such a thing today? Her confessor had already told Anna that her vocation was to marry.

Domenico , the husband sometimes gets a bad press for having a bad temper and being a little harsh on Anna. But I think maybe it could not have been so easy on himself. Married to a woman who became world famous. Constant visits and appointments with Dukes, Kings, Queens, Bishops, Cardinals even Popes and who knows who else. Anna never taking a penny for it all. His wife taking a really radical path of penance which included wearing very plain cloths, whipping herself until blood came out of her mouth and becoming a member of a third order. Him only a very humble butler. Yet he went along with it all and agreed to it. It had wanted to put a stop to it he could have as Anna was always obedient. So I reckon he is underrated.

Clare A, Sam, Jo M and 3 others like this.
  7. padraig

padraig Powers

I was just reading a little more about Domenico, Anna's Husband. He was interviewed at the age of 93, long after his wife's death and it became clear he had no idea at all in the slightest, whilst she was alive, that she was a saint or that there was anything at all special about her; that she had any great gifts.

Which is amazing really. How could he not have noticed? Well his wife seems to have been a very,very humble and private person, so I suppose that is one thing. On the other hand Domenico himself was uneducated and a kind of rough , coarse type. Very unlike Anna herself. Even so.

It makes me wonder how often we pass and meet someone who is a saint without knowing.

This is one of the reasons I keep my eyes open in Church. I reckon anyone who goes to Mass everyday is potential candidate. Anyway it is fun hunting. :)

But imagine living with the greatest mystic of the age and not having a clue...

Carol55, Denise P, AED and 3 others like this.
  8. padraig

padraig Powers

The saints penances are huge. With the permission of her Spiritual Director she wore a chain and a chair shirt plus the use of a whip which she used on herself with great force. She dressed very plainly and gave away all her jewellery. She , according to her husband next to nothing and was constantly fasting sometimes for forty days Additionally she drank water very sparingly and no wine. She did not eat tit bits between meals. She stopped going to social events and would not even have gone out for walks only her husband made her.

Of course if you proposed any such today to a priest he'd have you locked up. :D:D Not that anyone would propose such a thing. ;)

It reminds me of the old stories of the Irish saints. Saint Brendan for instance was said as a penance to walk out into the cold Atlantic up to his hips with arms outstretched for so long the birds made nests on his arms.:):) Poor St Brendan. Basically the more penance the saints were said to have done the greater the saint.

How does penance and fasting fit into the Spiritual Life? Well St Paul recommends it as a form of Spiritual Training, Ascesis. He compares it to training for a Great Race , to gain the Heavenly Triumph and of course fast is mentioned right through the Bible . Jesus Himself fasted and for very long periods. Our Lady herself has encouraged fasting over and over again in her appearances, on Wednesdays and Fridays on bread and water.

1 Corinthians 9:24-27

The Need for Self-Discipline
    24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26 Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. 27 No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

Luke 4:1-13
    Jesus Is Tested in the Wilderness
    4 Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, left the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, 2 where for forty days he was tempteda]">[a] by the devil. He ate nothing during those days, and at the end of them he was hungry.

3 The devil said to him, “If you are the Son of God, tell this stone to become bread.”

4 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone.’b]">[b]”

5 The devil led him up to a high place and showed him in an instant all the kingdoms of the world. 6 And he said to him, “I will give you all their authority and splendor; it has been given to me, and I can give it to anyone I want to. 7 If you worship me, it will all be yours.”

8 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.’c]">[c]”

9 The devil led him to Jerusalem and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down from here. 10 For it is written:

“‘He will command his angels concerning you
    to guard you carefully;
    11 they will lift you up in their hands,
    so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’d]">[d]”

12 Jesus answered, “It is said: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’e]">[e]”

13 When the devil had finished all this tempting, he left him until an opportune time.

In the case of Saints like Anna Maria and Padre Pio I strongly suspect that they had reached the point were they did not eat at all. They just pretended.

Such huge effort makes modern old me feel very,very inadequate. :D:D In my own life generally I try to make do with one meal a day and try to be more strict on Wednesdays and Fridays when I drink none of my beautiful home made wine. Which I find a killer.:D

But I think if we try to fulfill our duties in life as well as we can that is a very ,very big thing in itself. So if I am doing the housework, cleaning the car, doing work in the hospital, cooking, whatever to make a very good job of it...and never to waste time. Regular times for waking and sleeping. Not talking too much is a real biggie, especially idle talk.

Life is so dark in the World and the Church at the moment ; I truly admire Catholics who have kept the Faith. The Faithful Remnant. By Faithful I mean Faithful to the True Church not the False Church which they are working so hard to construct at the moment on behalf of their Father , Satan.

I believe it was Saint Jose Maria Escriva , the Founder of Opus Dei who commented that holiness consists in fulfilling the ordinary duties of our daily life.

'Do everything for Love. Thus there will be no little things: everything will be big. Perseverance in little things for Love is heroism.

St Jose Maria.'

In the Little Way Saint Therese of Liseaux who was a Doctor of the Church shows us how to find Ascesis in doing the little things well.

“Without love, deeds, even the most brilliant, count as nothing.” “The world's thy ship and not thy home.” “If every tiny flower wanted to be a rose, spring would lose its loveliness.” “God would never inspire me with desires which cannot be realized; so in spite of my littleness, I can hope to be a saint.”

St Therese.

Anyway they remind us that there are more than one way of climbing the mountain. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    Sunnyveil, Sam, Jo M and 2 others like this.
  9. padraig

padraig Powers

I love the Saints because they plough their own paths and so have much to teach us poor Catholics who struggle along in their paths.

For instance two of the things Ann Maria practiced strike me as very modern and unexpected.

Firstly she did not believe in Corporal Punishment especially striking children on their heads and spoke out against it when the occasion arose. In this she seems so very far apart from the Spirit of the Age in which she lived.

Secondly she went in for homeschooling , even at a time and place where there were loads of Catholic schools she could have sent her numerous children too. This again strikes me as a very modern thing and surprising. She was very , very protective of her children, especially the girls and kept an eye on them at all times. The eye of an eagle.

One thing she held which is very surprising for her Modern ears. She was never ambitious for her children. She never wished them to, 'Get ahead'. It was enough for them to learn a good Trade and earn their living at it so they would not be a burden on Society and go ahead and raise good Catholic families of their own. That was the important thing for Anna, being a good Catholic and getting to Heaven. Getting ahead and doing well in an Earthly sense just did not seem to figure with her at all.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    Ang, Byron, Heidi and 6 others like this.
  10. padraig

padraig Powers

I love so much to read the lives of the Saints. Reading of Anna Maria is a bit like drinking a very old rich wine. There is so much to enjoy and learn from her. To know her is to love her more and more deeply. This encourages Devotion in prayer, encourages friendship with a Saint.

Her life is like a huge long dance with her large family. Her vocation was wife, mother and daughter in a very large extended Italian family in a small working class house. Here she rose to sanctity in very hard work, hustle and bustle of the everyday. Also as is very often the case with saints in terms of illness and infirmity.

So many tests of her patience. A husband who could be rough , bad tempered , impatience and down right insulting (on one occasion he called her , 'Stupid' and , 'silly' for instance. A daughter in law who wanted to rule the roost. An elderly father and mother who literally would have tired the patience of a saint and her children who were,well, often not as good as they might have been. On top of that a stream of visitors from all over Italy wanting her to advise and help.

How on Earth did she cope? Well with sweetness and kindness and love it seems . Plus a great innate wisdom and common sense. For instance of someone got angry (and someone always seemed to be angry) she just waited till they calmed down and talked them round. In short she was a jewel. She kept things sweet and calmed the storm.

The thought occurs; is it possible someone could really be so good and holy? Well it is very,very rare I think. But it does happen. Have you ever met a saint yourself. I think on a few occasions in my life I have. Maybe you have yourself.

So yes it is possible for someone to be a Saint, to exercise heroic virtue. The Church teaches us so. If we can keep our eyes open to to it (which we really should) we may very well spot one passing us by.

The modern world on the contrary teaches us we are all the same. But we are not.

Their really are saints out there.

Byron, HeavenlyHosts, Jo M and 2 others like this.
  11. padraig

padraig Powers

It's wonderful reading the life of a Saint. Like sitting in front of a warm bright fire on a cold dark night.

Such a source of great joy and comfort.

What a truly wonderful woman she wa.

Extraordinary that none if her lived ones seemed to appreciate her value until she was dead. and even then..

AED, Jo M, Wild Wyoming and 1 other person like this.
  12. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

A hidden Saint

padraig and Jo M like this.
  13. Mario

Mario Powers

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1370774/

My favorite English martyr, a simple pure faith without my heady type knowledge, but filled with love for her children, for the Catholic Faith, and obviously for Christ Our Lord!

Margaret Clitherow

14. padraig

padraig Powers

Wh
    What a terrible death that poor lady had

How could they treat any woman like that?

Wild Wyoming and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  15. Mario

Mario Powers

Yes, Padraig, but it was her choice in a sense. Margaret broke the rules in a number of ways. She hired a teacher and secretly, against the rules, home-schooled her children and others, so they could be imbued with a Catholic worldview. But when the authorities forced their way into her home, they found and interrogated the children. A new arrival, a young Flemish boy scared out of his wits, capitulated and spilled the beans, showing them where the vestments, etc. were hidden.

The authorities wanted to conduct a regular trial which would allow them to require her children to take the stand. But legally, Margaret had a right to refuse, which allowed the authorities to inflict the most horrible type of death sentence, to be slowly crushed to death. She simply did not want her children to be pressured to give evidence in court against their Mum.

She is included among the English martyrs of her day; their universal feast day is October 25, though in England is on May 4.

The Lord be praised in His saints. St. Francis, pray for us. St. Margaret Clitherow, pray for us!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
    Clare A, Sam, djmoforegon and 2 others like this.
  16. padraig

padraig Powers

Sounds like they could teach even the FBI a few tricks

HeavenlyHosts and Wild Wyoming like this.
  17. Wild Wyoming

Wild Wyoming Wyoming Wanderer

I have never heard of Margaret Clitherow, I had to look it up.

Dear Lord, there is no end to the depth of man's cruelty. I wouldn't even wish that sort of death on the worst despots of history.

Mans inhumanity to man seems to be our one constant as a species.

Sam, Mario and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  18. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Agree

Mario and Wild Wyoming like this.
  19. Mario

Mario Powers

Wild Wyoming likes this.
  20. padraig

padraig Powers

Turning now now to Anna's supernatural gift given to her by God shortly after a truly radical conversion.

St Padre Pio was asked about his own gifts and said that they were given to him for others.

True as all such gifts are given but Anna Maria would need to have been deaf blind and dumb not to also have been affected.

Her gift was a large light that blazed like the sun and in which she could see pretty well all she wanted past , present and future.

One Pope tested her on this asking her to tell him an event in his childhood and she passed with flying colours as the Pontiff affirmed

Sam, Wild Wyoming and HeavenlyHosts like this.