The veil

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by twoangels, May 22, 2009.

1. twoangels

twoangels New Member

I'd love to know, especially from the ladies on the forum what they think of the veil. It appears to be making a small comeback in the States. It was never abandoned by the Catholic church, but seems to have gotten lost along the way. Personally I would love to see a comeback, but I would stand out like a sore thumb if I began wearing it.
    The only place I could nearly get away with wearing it is at the Blessed Sacrament on a Wednesday in my local church. A couple of eyebrows would be raised but there seems to be a bit of a secret club feel about it. 8) Most people I know that visit the Blessed Sacrament never talk about it but when you bump into someone you know there's a lovely feeling of trust between you. :D
    Guy's, please also feel free to tell me what you think!

Siobhan

2. garabandal

garabandal Powers

The loss of respect for the Eucharist is at the heart of this issue:
    Our Lady said at Garabandal that 'less and less importance is being
    given to the Eucharist' and this has turned out to be true.

Some churches even removed the central tabernacle and moved
    it to the side or to a special adoration chapel. Altar railings were
    removed, and one no longer had to kneel to recieve the King of Kings.
    Then they said it was fine to receive the King of Hosts in the hand and
    not reverentially on the tongue. Then Eucharistic ministers were allowed,
    and this has become the norm but I have serious reservations about this
    as it downgrades the Eucharist in a subtle but serious way.

What has happened in my opinion has been the protestantisation of the Eucharist.
    Everything Martin Luther called for in the Reformation with regard to the Eucharist
    has occured since the 1960s in the Catholic church. Therefore, less and less respect
    is being given to the Eucharist. The veils have come off. The communion queues are
    much longer than the confessional queues. Most people recieve the Eucharist in their
    hands whilst standing. At Christmas when the church was packed and I was standing
    in a crowd only me and one old man knelt at the consecration of the Eucharist.
    In other words standing has become a norm when it should be kneeling. Not wearing
    the veil has become a norm when it should be wearing a veil. These are abuses that
    are not being addressed and therefore standards change and it is difficult to reverse.
    The chapels are empty [and some even locked] during the day. I call most days
    into a chapel after work for a quick prayer and 99% of the time I am the only one there.

The veil is only one sign of a lack of respect for the house of God and the Eucharist.
    This decline has been astonishing in my lifetime. There has been an abuse and
    mis-application of the teachings of Vatican II. I look forward to the next Pope who
    will reverse a lot of these trendy ideas [Peter, the Great].

There is one light in all of this - parishes which have re-introduced perpetual adoration
    have found that it brings many graces, so there is hope.

I would not worry too much about the veil - pray about it and ask for guidance.
    One day it will be the norm again as will kneeling and recieving on the tongue. I think
    Eucharistic ministers will also get the boot despite the fact that in Europe priest numbers
    are on the decline. If the church endorses and promotes the permanent diaconate then this will help -
    there are many who want to be deacons but are frustrated as many dioceses have no plans to bring
    back this ministry at the moment but I believe this will change over the next few years.

Siobhan, 'seek first the kingdom of God' and you will recieve the grace of enlightenment on many things.

gracia likes this.
  3. Lee

Lee Principalities

I think it's interesting that the veil should come up. This last week I'd been thinking about it, really out of the blue. I'm not sure what to do about it yet and haven't been convicted one way or the other but it's on my screen and that to me is interesting. There are two women, elderly, at my church who wouldn't come into the sanctuary without one, but I never noticed it's influence on me one way or the other. I'll wait and see, and pray of course.

gracia likes this.
  4. CRW

CRW New Member

My wife will not enter Church without one; however, less then 2 percent of the woman wear them. She has never felt out of place at our home parish or when we travel. Sometimes we must walk the talk in our life.

Cecil

gracia likes this.