The Ten Virgins

Discussion in 'The Signs of the Times' started by Fatima, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Fatima

Fatima Powers

Mathew 25: The parable of the ten virgins.
    [1] Then shall the kingdom of heaven be like to ten virgins, who taking their lamps went out to meet the bridegroom and the bride. [2] And five of them were foolish, and five wise. [3] But the five foolish, having taken their lamps, did not take oil with them: [4] But the wise took oil in their vessels with the lamps. [5] And the bridegroom tarrying, they all slumbered and slept. [6] And at midnight there was a cry made: Behold the bridegroom cometh, go ye forth to meet him. [7] Then all those virgins arose and trimmed their lamps. [8] And the foolish said to the wise: Give us of your oil, for our lamps are gone out. [9] The wise answered, saying: Lest perhaps there be not enough for us and for you, go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves. [10] Now whilst they went to buy, the bridegroom came: and they that were ready, went in with him to the marriage, and the door was shut.

I have been pondering this parable and its meaning. All 10 had lamps, however the 5 wise virgins took oil in their vessels and the other 5 did not. What does this mean? Next the 5 who did bring oil did not share it with those that did not.

In the very near future there will be those who prepared and those who did not. Are we to understand from this parable that we are not to give away our house and food to those that did not prepare, because there will not be enough for all? Is this talking about the period before the second coming of Christ? Thoughts?

2. kathy k

kathy k Guest

I think the oil in the lamp is prayer and spiritual preparation. It can't be given to the foolish virgins because it is a personal, non-transferrable good.

What strikes me is that there are not 5 watchful virgins with lamps full of oil, and 5 sleeping ones without oil. All 10 were asleep, because the bridegroom tarried. I think this refers to the way His coming is like a woman going into labor. It's always a surprise; all are awakened to the reality of what is upon them. Some are prepared; others are not. And there is no more time to prepare.

3. Andy3

Andy3 Powers

Wonderfully put Kathy!

4. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus Archangels

Don’t think that love, to be true, has to be extraordinary. What is necessary is to continue to love. How does a lamp burn, if it is not by the continuous feeding of little drops of oil? When there is no oil, there is no light and the bridegroom will say: “I do not know you”. Dear friends, what are our drops of oil in our lamps? They are the small things from every day life: the joy, the generosity, the little good things, the humility and the patience. A simple thought for someone else. Our way to be silent, to listen, to forgive, to speak and to act. That are the real drops of oil that make our lamps burn vividly our whole life. Don’t look for Jesus far away, He is not there. He is in you, take care of your lamp and you will see Him.”– Mother Teresa

Jeanne, js1975, fallen saint and 2 others like this.
  5. Bonaventure

Bonaventure Guest

wow, Kathy...you are so awesome....

6. Mac

Mac "To Jesus, through Mary"

js1975 likes this.
  7. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus Archangels

8. js1975

js1975 New Member

Excellent link Mac! I love the writings of the Saints, which is some of the most beautiful writings I have ever read. I am usually blown away by the depth and insights of their writings, so well beyond anything I have understood.

-Jay

Mac likes this.
  9. Mac

Catholic commentary to accompany Bible reading was always recommended.
    To think we should interpret ourselves is the error of the protestants.

js1975 likes this.
  10. kathy k

kathy k Guest

"To get the full flavor of an herb, it must be pressed between the fingers, so it is the same with the Scriptures; the more familiar they become, the more they reveal their hidden treasures and yield their indescribable riches."-- St. John Chrysostom, A.D. 347-407

One of the beautiful gifts of our faith is sacred Tradition. We don't have to interpret the Bible for ourselves, thanks to the brilliant inspired minds who have settled many things about the meaning of scripture.

With that as a given, the word of God is ALIVE. We have a long Catholic tradition of inviting the Lord to speak to us individually through the scriptures: Lectio Divina.
    http://www.fisheaters.com/lectiodivina.html

Jeanne, hope and Mac like this.
  11. Mac

Excellent

12. Mac

Kathy said ...With that as a given, the word of God is ALIVE.

I would have to add ,it is not a given ,for most Catholics ,including the opening post of this thread.

13. Ecclesiasticus 2

Ecclesiasticus 2 Principalities

"Who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been his counselor?" Romans 11:34

"THINGS WHICH EYE HAS NOT SEEN AND EAR HAS NOT HEARD, AND which HAVE NOT ENTERED THE HEART OF MAN, ALL THAT GOD HAS PREPARED FOR THOSE WHO LOVE HIM."For to us God revealed them through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches all things, even the depths of God. For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God. 1Cor. 2:10-11

There is a difference between knowing about God and knowing God. The opening post is no different than where all of us have been on our journey to know and love God more deeply in our lives. It is never a given for any of us. Our search should always continue.
    "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.8"For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. Matt 7:7-8

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    hope likes this.