The State of the Faith in Ireland Today: How do you see it?

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Roger Buck, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Krizevac

Krizevac Archangels

De Profundis! Thank you. Deeply comforting.

AED and Te Deum like this.
  2. Krizevac

Krizevac Archangels

Mark Mallett's latest is interesting. The Caduceus Key. Can't seem to link it.

Sanctus, sparrow and AED like this.
  3. AED

AED Powers

(y) Could be. Hadn't thought of that. Actually I have noticed that God often uses things both figuratively and literally.

Julia, sparrow and Sam like this.
  4. AED

AED Powers

I love this psalm.

sparrow likes this.
  5. Muzhik

Muzhik Powers

Something else to give you nightmares. UG98. It's a variety of wheat rust that originated in Uganda, and is spreading worldwide. No treatment available except to burn down the field. So far the only hope has been developing hybrids that are resistant. The problem with that is that the best examples to date that are resistant, have had rice genes inserted.

So how do we confect the host when there's no pure unadulterated wheat available?

Sanctus, AED, Sam and 1 other person like this.
  6. AED

AED Powers

Interesting and scary. The devil sure has a lot of arrows in his quiver doesn't he?

Beth B and sparrow like this.
  7. Sanctus

Sanctus "Pray, pray ,pray!"

More stuff about the mother and baby homes in the Irish News today. Usually they bring this up when the government are trying to hide something they are trying to bring in as a smokescreen. I would seriously question the media's motives around all this. Shame on them in a time when people should be going to Mass more than ever.

Jo M, DeGaulle, Beth B and 3 others like this.
  8. Sanctus

Sanctus "Pray, pray ,pray!"

The government are definitely up to something behind the scenes when they start using the old reliable scapegoat (the Church) to divert attention from their doings. One would wonder what they are up to now.

DeGaulle, Beth B, sparrow and 2 others like this.
  9. maryrose

maryrose Powers

I think about 8000 children died in mother and baby homes over the years. It was higher than the national average but the practice of of keeping many babies and young children in one room was not good and would have caused the spread of infections such as TB. I do think that the mother and baby homes were a reflection on Irish society that punished young unmarried girls who were pregnant no matter what the reason. Men were let off the hook. It is important to look at the past and try and create a more compassionate future. Unfortunately we had almost 8,000 abortions in Ireland on 2019 and the government has no problem with that. Where is the outrage??
    Hypocrites

Sam, Jo M, DeGaulle and 5 others like this.
  10. padraig

padraig New Member

It's true that the Church was not free from blame. But then again the Church was simply a reflection of society as a whole at that time. The Church did not have access to a time machine no more than anyone else.

At the same time I recall my Aunt Agnes worked with the Good Shepherd nuns in Belfast and commentated how very hard the nuns were on the poor little orphans.

Nuns can sometimes have a hard streak. So could the brothers. I think it was a result of being in a Vocation not intended for them. This bred frustration and anger.

I think that someone who was dressed up as a nun was not necessarily a real nun. It was often an out for them to escape their problems. A hiding place.

Its still true today, many nuns are actually witches and lesbians.

Jo M, DeGaulle, Beth B and 6 others like this.
  11. padraig

padraig New Member

Its wonderful though how God is bringing new religious orders forward. True nuns. The bad ones are dying off through lack of vocations.

The Holy Spirit constantly renewing itself in the Church.

Jo M, DeGaulle, Beth B and 5 others like this.
  12. garabandal

garabandal Powers

My grandfather born out of wedlock in an Irish workhouse in 1899.

Can I get an apology from the State for the poor health care?

Can I get an apology from the State that my Dad went to bed hungry in the 1940s?

Can I get an apology from the State as I lived the first 2 years of my life in a caravan as my parents were on waiting list for a house?

All of this apologetic stuff is nonsense.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    Jo M, Dolours, DeGaulle and 5 others like this.
  13. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Yes. God bless your family for the sufferings endured.

Sam, Jo M, DeGaulle and 4 others like this.
  14. maryrose

maryrose Powers

Yes I agree apologies for the past are a kind of virtue signalling. Still there are a lot of people who are still with us that are deeply scarred by bad experiences that were unchristian and this may help them. I have no problem with the apology but for many it all comes down to getting some money.

DeGaulle likes this.
  15. grimisocks

grimisocks Principalities

This was very true Padraig. My school principal, a Christian brother showed homosexual tendencies throughout his time there. Wasn't there a practice among families in old Ireland to send at least one son away to become a priest or brother?

Sam, DeGaulle, Beth B and 1 other person like this.
  16. AidanK

AidanK A great sinner

Was custom tht Eldest son got the farm, second son was sent into religious life

Sam, DeGaulle, grimisocks and 3 others like this.
  17. Adoremus

Adoremus Powers

My mother said that many/most of the nuns who taught her back in the 40s and 50s in Dublin were out and out sadists. Very angry bitter women from rural parts of the country who were sent to be nuns by their families to get them out of poverty. Didn't have a real vocation or want that life but didn't have a choice and took it out on the children. Very sad for all involved.

DeGaulle, grimisocks and Beth B like this.
  18. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

I’m seeing this too. Thank God.

Sam and padraig like this.
  19. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

I agree..I witnessed it myself. I also witnessed some with a true vocation. But some were wicked. They hurt the faith of many children in their care. Extremely sad.

Jo M and grimisocks like this.
  20. padraig

padraig New Member

I remember at school there was a De La Salle Brother who had a habit of jumping on the desks running across the tops and kicking chosen pupils on the head.:D

We all thought this a little crazy but nothing totally out of the ordinary. No one would have dreamt of reporting him to their parents, parents in those day would have thought you deserved it and given you another beating.:)

Times have changed so much. It is like a different world. We must always make some kind of allowances for the times and culture people live in. For instance in Spain killing birds is thought perfectly normal. In Corsica the mass slaughter of migrating birds by nets is A OK. In China dog eating is thought the best thing ever. In Ireland drinking 30 pints is often thought going slow.:D

Even so I would like to think that there would been a line no one would ever cross.

Jo M and Beth B like this.