The Shopping Trolley.

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by padraig, Sep 17, 2021.

1. padraig

padraig New Member

I stood outside the supermarket this morning waiting for a lady to finish with her shopping trolley. The line of trolleys was broken and I had to use one that had already been freed. I was feeling impatient with the woman who was loading her supplies into the boot of her car, wishing she would hurry up.

Then I heard the Word of the Lord speaking to my heart,

'Padraig the problem is not with the lady it is with you, for being impatient. It is not her who needs to change , but you. If you were more patient the problem would go away'.

All at once I understood that this was right. Why was I in such a hurry? I had all morning!

It is often so that my finger at others but it should always point at my own heart first.

But it is touching to find God hiding amidst the shopping trolleys. \Nothing misses the attention of His Most Loving Heart. It is a heart big enough to enfold even shopping trolleys.:)

I spoke to the lady with the trolley afterwards, she was a very,very good and sweet woman indeed. If I had rushed her I would have missed discovering this.:)

[​IMG]

Ananchal, Shae, HeavenlyHosts and 6 others like this.
  2. "Quis ut Deus"

"Quis ut Deus" Powers Staff Member

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::D:D

you must have been shopping same time as me. I to was getting stressed at the slow speed.. I also heard calm down ya eejit ..
    :D The Good Lord must have great patience with us Irish hot heads :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Shae, HeavenlyHosts, Jo M and 3 others like this.
  3. padraig

padraig New Member

I feel sorry for the people that work there, especially at Christmas. I wondered into a down town store last week and they had the Christmas Decorations up for sale. it would make you cry.:)

I have been meaning this last few years to buy a really good Christmas Crib.

This years the year!:)

4. AED

AED Powers

Funny. This must be something the Lord is doing to a whole lot of us. When these irritations rise up in me lately I seem to "hear" Him say "offer it up--dont waste it."

5. SteveD

SteveD Archangels

I am probably the most impatient person in the world (at least according to my wife). Our local shop (with four tills) seems to believe that one or two assistants will suffice no matter how long the queue and it drives me potty especially when the staff decide to have a chat for a while instead of serving us. I am retired so am usually not in any real rush and once when getting very irate, I decided to say a 'Hail Mary' for each of the assistants and the several people in front of me in the queue, I was surprised at how fast the queue disappeared and felt disappointed that I hadn't been able to pray for a few more. I wish that I could re-create that experience but usually find myself huffing and puffing and reading the headline in my newspaper to 'kill time' (terrible expression). Your comment is a great reminder to me about the 'Hail Mary's'. Let's hope for a long queue and only one assistant tomorrow! I am usually only buying a newspaper and, if the person in front has a basketful, I will ask if I can go first. I have never, ever, been refused and am often given a cheerful 'of course, go ahead' makes my day and restores my faith in my fellow man/woman.

Clare A, Shae, padraig and 3 others like this.
  6. padraig

padraig New Member

People are unusually very good at letting others go first if they have not much to buy. This kindness always touches me. Also there are no queque jumpers, which is a blessing. Although I suppose people are afraid of being torn to pieces:)

I wish there were a way of telling who was desperate and had little money for food so I could pay their bill for them. But there is no way of telling. I was speaking to a lady from the local food bank and she said that there are some people actually going hungry. I wish I had x-ray eyes to see who needs help.

It is very kind of you saying the Hail Mary's. Women I would say are much better shoppers than men, they actually seem to pay attention to what they are doing. I go into robot mode. Glassy eyed.

St Teresa of Avila spoke of finding God, 'Amid the pots and pans'. This is true. If we don't find Jesus in the supermarket we are maybe not finding Him anywhere.

St Teresa also spoke of finding the devil in the kitchen also. Which is true of the supermarket too, I suppose.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    HeavenlyHosts, AED, SteveD and 2 others like this.
  7. SteveD

SteveD Archangels

I am reminded of a talk on sacrifice given by a priest years ago to a Catholic men's organisation I belonged to. He said that even very small acts of kindness or courtesy done purely selflessly were very pleasing to God. He did emphasise that there should be no hope of any advantage or return for the act and so being kind to the boss didn't count. He said that if we delayed a lift (elevator) to allow someone aboard but that the person was a very attractive lady who gave us a big smile and a thank you, that didn't count but that if we did the same thing for an old lady with a walking frame and she got in the lift and said nothing except perhaps for giving a look that said 'Waddya want a medal?' And we dismissed the thought of kicking her frame from under her but instead smiled at her and offered it up to God, then that did count. There was a great roar of laughter but seriously it was a great lesson because I recall it now even after so many years.

HeavenlyHosts, padraig, Sam and 2 others like this.
  8. padraig

padraig New Member

I am often very touched by the kindness of the nurses in the hospital towards the people they are looking after. I know they are getting paid for it, but even still, they go over and beyond. It is as though their own kindness touched and changes them. They remind me of angels, which is in a way what they are.

I suppose in a little way we all become a little like an angel when we are kind.

I was speaking to a nurse who looks after seriously ill and dying children with cancer. I was saying to her what a hard job I thought it was. She said that nurses were not supposed to do it for more than seven years as it took a heavy emotional toll. I asked her how long she had been doing it? She told me 23 years.:)

9. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 To Jesus + through Mary @-}---

It's endearing that you guys call it a "trolley." :D

My home and adopted State call it a "cart." Thankfully! So all my life.

In East Texas it is (or was [lots of relatives there]) a "buggy."

10. Jo M

Jo M Powers

Yes, "trolley" is cute. :) Around here it's "cart", or "basket". We have a store called 'Market Basket '.