'The Patriots'.

Discussion in 'Books, movies, links, websites.' started by padraig, Jul 1, 2022.

1. padraig

padraig Powers

I have started reading a book I came across called, 'The Patriots', which was written by a dedicated Rural American Prepper was back in 2009. It is a novel which describes what would happen if the USA and World Economy collapsed and how a group of rural Preppers would attempt to survive.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Patriots-Surviving-Collapse-James-Rawles-ebook/dp/B003ODHO8G

'In this post-apocalyptic thriller, a group of American friends search for safety following disaster, but danger is hunting for them.

America faces a full-scale socioeconomic collapse—the stock market plummets, hyperinflation cripples commerce, and the mounting crisis passes the tipping point. Practically overnight, the fragile chains of supply and high-technology infrastructure fall, and wholesale rioting and looting grip every major city.

As hordes of refugees and looters pour out of the cities, a small group of friends living in the Midwest desperately tries to make their way to a safe-haven ranch in northern Idaho. The journey requires all their skill and training since communication, commerce, transportation and law enforcement have all disappeared. Once at the ranch, the group fends off vicious attacks from outsiders and then looks to join other groups that are trying to restore true Constitutional law to the country.

Patriots is a thrilling narrative depicting fictional characters using authentic survivalist techniques to endure the collapse of the American civilization. Reading this compelling, fast-paced novel could one day mean the difference between life and death.

Praise for James Wesley, Rawles

“Rawles is an amazingly gifted author who has singlehandedly reignited the postapocalyptic thriller.” —Brad Thor, #1 New York Times–bestselling author'

[​IMG]

Sam and Cherox like this.
  2. padraig

padraig Powers

What surprises me about this Novel is that although it was written about 13 years ago is that the indicators he gave of trouble brewing are actually happening at the minute. For instance massive Government over spending. Spiralling inflation. Huge rises in fuel costs. Big drops in the markets.

What deeply saddens me about a lot of these fiction and no fiction books is that they are totally and completely Godless. No reference in the least to God even once as far as I can see. I do believe things will get bad . But no man is a spiritual island. The only way I believe anyone will survive if by Faith in God, keeping the Ten Commandments and loving our neighbours as ourselves. Selfishly taking care of ourselves alone just won't cut it. We have to help others too. Especially those who need it the most.

He talks of preppers surviving in groups which I believe to be true. So no doubt good Catholic/ Christian communities will form up. :):)

I have to say all this seems very stark and frightening, as it always will be when you take God out of the equation.

You know all the shows and films and books about this dread scenario are all the same.

Godless.

So sad.

No one even tries to keep the ten commandments, never mind loving neighbours.

I was looking a little at the US State were this novel is set; Idaho. It is so like Ireland. Beautiful and green. I would guess if everything collapses a place like Idaho is where you would be best to be.

Mark. 8 Verses 34 to 38

[35] For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it. [36] For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? [37] Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
    HeavenlyHosts, Sam, AED and 1 other person like this.
  3. padraig

padraig Powers

By the time things do start to fall apart I hope to be retired in beautiful Abruzzo; Italy.

However God proposes and God disposes. :)

May the Most Holy Will of God ever be done.

HeavenlyHosts and AED like this.
  4. garabandal

garabandal Powers

Things have started to fall apart Padraig and I think by Christmas we are going to be in real trouble, food shortages, fuel poverty etc - things are escalating quickly - look at Sri Lanka and Ecuador --

I am reminded of Maria Esperanza's prophecy 'it will begin here' ie. Venezuela - where the economy collapsed.

So we can see a slow collapse of weaker economies but the West is so indebted that it is coming to a country near us and will be with us all soon.

I also read recently that we have entered a Grand Solar Minimum (2019-2053), which will lead to noticeable reduction in terresterial temperature but also has a massive impact on weather patterns and plant growth --

https://www.farmprogress.com/marketing/solar-minimum-affects-weather-patterns-crop-shortfalls

Those who follow changes in global weather patterns closely and their potential causes, like the solar minimum, will point out an increased probability of a global rice, grain and cotton production shortfall in 2019 and coming years, due to changing weather patterns.

HeavenlyHosts and AED like this.
  5. padraig

padraig Powers

I think all this global cooling may be worth it; if we never hear the dread word, 'Global Warming', ever again.:)

HeavenlyHosts, Sam, Cherox and 2 others like this.
  6. garabandal

garabandal Powers

It seems likely that political and economic turmoil occurs when this Minimum cycle comes - shortages of food/famine - civilzations unprepared struggle and collapse -

Solar maximums and minimums -
    [​IMG]

The previous grand solar minimum was Maunder minimum (1645–1710)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7575229/#:~:text=[1], in the next,century (2370–2415)

From 1645 to 1710 (the Little Ice Age) the temperatures across much of the Northern Hemisphere of the Earth plunged when the Sun entered a quiet phase now called the Maunder Minimum. This led to a decrease in terrestrial temperature measured mainly in the Northern hemisphere in Europe by 1.0–1.5°C. This seemingly small decrease of the average temperature in the Northern hemisphere led to frozen rivers, cold long winters, and cold summers.

This Maunder Minimum led to 17th century cooling and had massive impact on food production and supplies -- in 1740/1741 Ireland experienced the Year of the Great Frost that caused Lough Neagh to freeze over and crop production failed leading to the Bliann an Air - the Great Slaughter od Famine when over 2 million died.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Famine_(1740–1741)

Ancient civlizations like China have documentary records of these cycles and know what's coming --

One Reason for Rising Food Prices? Chinese Hoarding.
    Keen to avoid shortages and reduce dependence on imports, the government is stockpiling goods on a massive scale.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/a...eason-for-rising-food-prices-chinese-hoarding

HeavenlyHosts, Sam and AED like this.
  7. garabandal

garabandal Powers

HeavenlyHosts, Sam and AED like this.
  8. padraig

padraig Powers

Sam, AED and garabandal like this.
  9. padraig

padraig Powers

I am enjoying this Novel. Story telling is a good way to learn and this book gives loads of references to other books that tell you how to do things like homesteading and home medicine.

I take it back that it does not have a Christian/Spiritual ethos. The group in the story are a mix of Protestants and Catholics with one Jewish guy and they all seem to have strong Faith, being prepared to pray openly together with one another which is sweet.

It is true a group would probably have a far better chance of surviving than a single person or couple. Here we have a group of maybe 20 who had agreed to live on this farm together for survival.

On the other hand there is a strong Catholic Tradition going back almost to the time of Christ and Starting with Saint Anthony the Great of individuals going out on their own to live in the Wilderness.

St John the Baptist lived in the Wilderness surviving on locusts and honey (I think).

In the Old Testament there are Legends of the Prophets going to live alone. For instance on Mount Carmel.

I think if I lived in a Community like this the very first person I would want is a Catholic Priest.

But this reminds me of the fact that everything is Gift, everything comes from the Hand of God. As Romans promises us, for those who love God all things work together unto the good.

God must be the Foundation of all our Enterprises. That includes prepping.

[​IMG]

Sam, Ananchal, HeavenlyHosts and 2 others like this.
  10. padraig

padraig Powers

https://www.countdowntothekingdom.com/blessed-grapes-for-times-of-famine/

[​IMG]

Blessed Grapes for Times of Famine
    Recommendations of blessed grapes, honey, and nuts, given to Luz de Maria de Bonilla .

Our Lord Jesus Christ:
    October 27, 2014

“I do not forsake you. Do not forget to keep in your homes grapes blessed in My Name for times of famine.”

Click here and then click on “Recipe for Blessed Grapes during Times of Famine,” to read Luz de María’s commentary on how to prepare blessed grapes (or other small fruit, if grapes are not available).

Luz de Maria:
    April 22, 2010

Christ and the Blessed Mother have told me that if we bless food that is contaminated—of course, always maintaining much faith—it will not cause us harm.

Heaven does not forsake its faithful children, therefore it has given recommendations for dealing with food contamination, especially for those who live in places where most food is contaminated.

Private message of Our Lord Jesus Christ to Luz de Maria:
    November 2012

Beloved daughter, a spoonful of honey and some nuts will be sufficient food for the survival of the body: they provide what is necessary for all organs to function properly. Tell My children this so that it would be a blessing for them in times of famine.

Posted in Luz de Maria de Bonilla, Physical Protection and Preparation.

Mary's child and AED like this.
  11. padraig

padraig Powers

Grapes and honey are still very,very cheap.

Mary's child and AED like this.