The Passion of St Joan of Arc

Discussion in 'Books, movies, links, websites.' started by padraig, May 31, 2022.

1. padraig

padraig Powers

Just premiered, a documentary for the anniversary of her canonisation.

Ananchal and AED like this.
  2. padraig

padraig Powers

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/...c-15-quotes-from-her-trial-and-interrogations

St Joan of Arc: 15 quotes from her trial and interrogations

[​IMG]

Catholics and people worldwide celebrate St. Joan of Arc — a heroine who fought for both God and country — on her feast day, May 30. On that day, nearly 600 years ago, the Maid of Orléans was condemned to death after being convicted of heresy.

The French peasant was burned at the stake in Rouen in 1431, at just 19 years old. She died while crying out one name: “Jesus.”

Joan of Arc — known in her home country as Jeanne d’Arc — fought in the Hundred Years’ War against England and is celebrated as the warrior who liberated Orléans and led Charles VII of France to the throne. She did this, she said, while guided by the voices or visions of St. Catherine of Alexandria, St. Margaret of Antioch, and the archangels St. Michael and St. Gabriel.

A rehabilitation trial was held 1455-56, and her conviction of heresy was nullified.

She was canonized in 1920. Shortly after, English translations of the transcripts from her trial were published.

“Joan of Arc did not know how to read or write, but the depths of her soul can be known thanks to two sources of exceptional historical value: the two Trials that concern her,” Benedict XVI said in 2011. The first, the Trial of Condemnation, contains the transcript of the interrogations she endured in her final months.

“Joan’s judges were radically incapable of understanding her or of perceiving the beauty of her soul,” the pontiff said. “They did not know that they were condemning a Saint.”

Here are 15 quotes taken from her trial and examinations, edited by T. Douglas Murray. Other translations, including the first unabridged English translation by W.P. Barrett, are also available online.

1. Asked whether she knew she was in God’s grace, the saint answered: “If I am not, may God place me there; if I am, may God so keep me. I should be the saddest in all the world if I knew that I were not in the grace of God."

2. “Without the grace of God I should not know how to do anything.”

3. “Take care what you are doing; for in truth I am sent by God.”

4. “All I have done is by Our Lord’s command…I have done nothing in the world but by the order of God.”

5. “The poor folk came to me readily, because I never did them any unkindness: on the contrary, I loved to help them.”

6. “I do not know if I am in mortal sin, and, if it please God, I will never so be; I do not believe I have done its works; nor, please God, have I ever done or ever will do deeds which charge my soul!"

7. “I never said that Jesus had failed me.”

8. “As to that passage in my answer of which you remind me, ‘All that I did, I did by the counsel of Our Lord,’ it should be completed thus: ‘All that I did well.’”

More in US

9. “I have a good Master, that is God; it is to Him I look in everything and to none other.”

10. “I rely upon God, my Creator, for everything. I love Him with all my heart.”

11. “God must be served first.”

12. “And that which God hath made me do, hath commanded or shall command, I will not fail to do for any man alive.”

13. “I would rather die than revoke what God has made me do.”

14. “My words and deeds are all in God’s Hands: in all, I wait upon Him.”

15. “I believe firmly what my Voices have told me, that I shall be saved; I believe it as firmly as if I were already there.”

Sam and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  3. Mario

Mario Powers

Asked whether she knew she was in God’s grace, the saint answered: “If I am not, may God place me there; if I am, may God so keep me.

The perfect answer to a evangelical's question, "Are you saved?"(y):D For the initiative comes from Jesus and is secured through His Mercy.

Sam, HeavenlyHosts, Ang and 1 other person like this.
  4. AED

AED Powers

(y)

HeavenlyHosts likes this.
  5. padraig

padraig Powers

In Scripture and in the lives of the Saints and Martyrs there are so many wonderful stories. They make truly great books and films. St Joan of Arc is way, way up there in this.

I often think when saying the Rosary and contemplating a Mystery, 'What a wonderful story this is! How well written!

HeavenlyHosts likes this.
  6. Mario

Mario Powers

AED,

This issue is so pivotal. The state of grace, secured through Christ's Mercy, is never solitary. Even some Catholics do not understand it. This is why we have the precious sacraments: Baptism, Penance, and the Anointing of the Sick. The quote God placing me there and God keeping me there is realized in Mercy poured into our hearts by Christ by means of His Bride; we dwell in the bosom of the Church- the wellspring of His Mercy. "Jesus I trust in Thee" is never separated from the cry of the Bride!

Rev 22:20 ...Amen! Come Lord Jesus!

That is why MOG is so wonderful because of our prayer support for one another. Grace is not magical, not something poured in and emptied out like the gas in our cars. We are traveling together through this veil of tears with Our Lady! The treasure of the Eucharist is given in a sacramental context as we Catholics enter together into the Paschal Mystery and live it. In Baptism, a priest or deacon are the normal ministers, for Christ and His Church are present to the one to be baptized.

Evangelicals are akin to Catholics who view grace as magical. Their love is sincere but somewhat misguided. For instance, Catholics often seek to have a loved one anointed at the last minute prior to death, though they were anointed 2 days before. Anointing of the Sick, near the time of death, is the Church Militant preparing one of its own to be welcomed by the Church Triumphant.

Joan of Arc knew this deep in her heart. When given command of the French forces, she expelled the prostitutes from among the soldiers and ordered everyone to go to confession before the soldiers set off for battle. She knew the army must be united in grace! And in her solitude before her judges (bishops by the way), her words (If I am not, may God place me there; if I am, may God so keep me) she was aware that the prayers of her army accompanied her!

Thank you, Jesus, for the gift of the brethren!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
    Sam, HeavenlyHosts and AED like this.
  7. Mario

Mario Powers

You're right, Padraig! The stories of the saints who so closely imitated the Lord in their trials, should be our food rather than getting weighed down daily by the news cycle.:rolleyes:

AED, Sam and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  8. padraig

padraig Powers

I remember when I was young reading the lives of the Saints especially the old Irish saints and trying to imitate them as a child. They were so penitential. It seemed impossible like climbing Mount Everest.

I think for me the key to understanding their path up the Spiritual Mountain was that like me they gave up trying to climb by their own efforts and handed everything over to God ,so that they might climb through Grace. That they became small enough, failed enough to let the Good God pick them up in their arms and carry them up the mountain.

It can be hard to follow St Joan of Arc in her journey. I am fine with Joan right up to part were she crowned the King at Orleans. But then after this, when she entered her Dark Night of the Soul , when her voices and the King himself deserted her and all seemed failure ending in the fires of her death I do not find easy. I have always tended to close the books or switch of the films at this point. All up to this point was success and all after this seemed failure. This was St Joan's entrance into Jerusalem, to her Passion and Death. It was then she became a victim soul for the Salvation of France, here she reached her finest hours.

During the First World War French soldiers going to battle wore pictures of either St Therese of Liseaux or St Joan of Arc. There was a tremendous outpouring of Devotion to these twin saints. It was this period more than any other that led directly to their canonisations. It is ironic that a Great War led a soldier of God like Joan to the Altars of the Church.

I love St Joan because there is no other saint quite like her. Because of this she has lessons no other saint can teach us.

St Joan of Arc, pray for us, now and in the hour of our own Dangers.

https://aleteia.org/2021/10/19/when...s-joan-of-arc-and-the-sad-story-of-the-photo/

When St. Therese dressed up as Joan of Arc (and the sad story of the photo)

[​IMG]

A reminder that God can use even our worst humiliations for his glory.
    I met up with an old friend on St. Therese’s feast day. He introduced me to his 4-year-old daughter:

“Meet Joan Therese!” he beamed.

I just happened to be wearing my favorite Joan of Arc t-shirt.

“No way!” I exclaimed, “She’s named after Joan and Therese?!”

A fun conversation ensued — two converts geeking out over a few of their favorite saints: Therese, a cloistered nun who gained notoriety at the end of the 19th century for her simple spirituality, a path to sanctity called “the little way” as described in her biography.

And Joan of Arc, the teenage warrior who lived a couple of hundred years before, whose mission was — unlike Therese’s — very public. Specifically, this 17-year-old was the youngest person ever (of either sex) to command an army. No wonder Joan has captured the fascination of painters, writers, historians and many others, and of course, middle-aged moms like me.

“Did you know St. Therese had a serious devotion to Joan of Arc?” My friend said as he pushed his beautiful daughter on the swing. Her hair, white as cornsilk, caught on the breeze. “Therese wrote a play and a few poems about Joan — actually, we have a photo of Therese dressed up as Joan of Arc in our playroom.”

I was fascinated — not just by the idea of this photo, which was snapped by Therese’s sister Celine; one I only vaguely remembered — but by the concept of one saint venerating another (just as I venerate both of them).

I drove home and did some research. I learned that St. Therese did, in fact, revere Joan of Arc, relating especially to Joan’s time in prison as Therese suffered from the illness that eventually took her life.

I also discovered the lesser-known sad story surrounding the mentioned “dress up” photo, which is explained in this book but also especially well by Sister Theresa Aletheia Noble on Instagram (summarized):

Apparently, a man named Leo Taxil [a prominent anti-Catholic voice at the time] published a number of autobiographies featuring Freemason conversions to Catholicism. The most popular was an autobiography of “Diana Vaughan,” whose conversion she said was influenced by Joan of Arc. Diana’s story was wildly popular and made it inside the [convent’s] walls. Thérèse loved her story and sent Diana this photo of her playing Joan of Arc.

In April of 1897, Leo Taxil called a press conference and revealed to the crowd of 400 people that he was Diana Vaughan. The entire thing was a ruse to demonstrate the gullibility of French Catholics. His prop that evening? A giant projected picture of this photograph of Thérèse, a symbol of the naive religious person. It was a terrible humiliation for Thérèse. She tore up the letter she had received from “Diana.”

Months later, Thérèse would face death. As death approached, she struggled with a great darkness, living the experience of those who do not believe. Certainly this experience was informed by her recent great humiliation. But Thérèse bravely offered this “bread of sorrow” for those who do not believe. Despite her bitter trials, she knew that Light was on the other side of darkness.

I read the above account of St. Therese’s humiliation surrounding this famous photo and my heart broke for her. But at the same time, I thought of the little girl I met at the park, Joan Therese, and how the same awesome photo is now displayed in her playroom over 100 years later — oh, the dress-up games with nuns’ habits and foam swords that picture surely inspires!

Psalm 30 came to mind, how God turns our “mourning into dancing,” and I couldn’t help but ponder a few recent trials in my life that have left me stewing in humiliation. I printed out the photo and taped it to the fridge.

Sts. Joan of Arc and Therese, pray for us!

Sam and AED like this.
  9. padraig

padraig Powers

There was a really great play about St Joan by Bernard Shaw called, 'St Joan'. It was great because it was so very spiritual.

It also reminds us, if we need reminding that many clergymen, no matter high up in the Church they may be, can be very,very bad dues indeed.

As if we need reminding.

Mario, Sam and AED like this.