The List

Discussion in 'Positive Critique' started by padraig, Feb 11, 2017.

1. padraig

padraig Powers

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/2016-the-year-pope-francis-finally-showed-his-hand

[​IMG]

2016: The year Pope Francis finally showed his hand
    catholic , pope francis

ROME, January 3, 2017 (LifeSiteNews) – 2016 marked a dramatic turning point in the pontificate of Pope Francis. It may be called the year of the great awakening, as more and more faithful Catholics and prelates, Cardinals included, came to a frightening understanding that there is a major problem with the current Pope.

For the beginning years of his papacy, most, including LifeSite, gave Francis the benefit of the doubt. They repeatedly told themselves and others not to believe the media; that his words were being taken out of context or mistranslated; that he was just plain poor at doing interviews; that he wasn’t often aware of the consequences of his words; that he wanted to be pastoral and thus overstated things at times; and that off-the-cuff interviews are not official expressions of the Church’s teaching authority.

Many of these hopes were pinned on the outcome of the two controversial Synods on the Family. It was hoped that the final document by the Pope would finally set things straight after he had allowed many bishops to express themselves freely, even in ways contrary to Christ’s own words. In the end, they thought, it would be as it was with Pope Paul VI who, after two years of deliberation and being intensely urged by numerous close advisors to alter the Church’s constant teaching against contraception, nevertheless proclaimed Humanae Vitae and confirmed perennial, authentic Catholic teaching.

However, with Amoris Laetitia it has not been so. The confusion has been allowed to fester and only increase as Pope Francis himself has made known his personal views on the grave matters under consideration. He showed himself to be, at least in hard cases, open to altering the teaching of the Church, or as he would call it, being open to the “surprises of the Holy Spirit.”

While the shift can most clearly be seen in the dubia by the six Cardinals, four of whom went public, it can also be seen in the growing concern expressed by official and powerful Catholic entities such as EWTN. The Catholic media empire founded by the saintly Mother Angelica has in their television programming with Raymond Arroyo, in their newspaper the National Catholic Register with Ed Pentin, and in their UK blog run by Deacon Nick Donnelly, taken to accurately and unapologetically reporting on the controversies caused by Pope Francis.

Other Catholic officials and entities have also begun to express dismay and grave concerns but, after witnessing the demotions of Cardinal Burke, the brutal dismantling of the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate and many other such harsh actions, their dismay has so far mostly been expressed in only whispered tones.

It is instructive to watch what is not being done in order to appreciate the situation. Historically, with some very few exceptions, when a Pope has been openly questioned by Cardinals, a majority of course lept to his defense. However, in the matter of the dubia, we see, in addition to the four Cardinals that have gone public, several others expressing their sympathy and desire that the Pope would answer the questions and end the confusion. Yes, there are a bevy of bishops and a handful of Cardinals that have jumped to the Pope’s defense, many of them with personally derogatory remarks directed at the four Cardinals. However, where are the majority of the 120-strong College of Cardinals leaping to the defense of the Pope?

The gravity of the present situation can best be understood by a look at the evidence. So in order to demonstrate the concern over Pope Francis, LifeSite here presents many of the more disturbing developments in the Francis papacy during 2016.

For brevity, most of the incidents are presented with only a few words of description and a link to a fuller explanation for more careful study. This is not meant to be a comprehensive listing for the year, but only the most grave of incidents. We pray this compilation may serve to awaken more Catholics to the need for ardent prayer, sacrifice and productive action for the Church and the Pope at this grave time in the Church’s history of two millennia.

January 18, 2016
    Pope: Catholics who say “it’s always been done that way” have a “closed heart,” “will never reach the full truth,” and are “closed to the surprises of the Holy Spirit.”

January 21, 2016
    Pope Francis changes Holy Thursday foot-washing ritual to include women. Christ washed the feet of his all-male apostles at the Last Supper.

February 8, 2016
    Pope calls Italy’s foremost abortion promoter one of nation’s ‘forgotten greats’. In an interview with Corriere Della Sera Pope Francis praised Italy’s unrepentant leading abortionist and proponent of abortion, Emma Bonino, as one of the nation’s “forgotten greats,” comparing her to great historical figures such as Konrad Adenauer and Robert Schuman.

February 18, 2016
    Pope Francis’ uncorrected remarks on contraception interpreted worldwide as a shift in Church teaching. On his return flight from Mexico Pope Francis was asked about “avoiding pregnancy” in areas at risk of Zika virus transmission. “Paul VI, a great man, in a difficult situation in Africa, permitted nuns to use contraceptives in cases of rape,” he said. After reiterating that abortion is never morally justified, he said, “On the other hand, avoiding pregnancy is not an absolute evil. In certain cases, as in this one, such as the one I mentioned of Blessed Paul VI, it was clear.”

Vatican confirms that Pope Francis was approving use of contraceptives and condoms in grave cases. (However, to do so would contradict the clear teaching of previous popes.)

March 2, 2016
    Pope changes Vatican protocol to allow for Catholic Heads of State in irregular marital unions to be able to meet the Pope along with their partner.

April 8, 2016
    Pope issues apostolic exhortation Amoris Laetitia, creating an ongoing storm in the Church.

2. padraig

padraig Powers

April 14, 2016
    Pope Francis warns against those who resist the Spirit with “so-called fidelity to the law.”

April 16, 2016
    Pope visits migrants on Greek island of Lesbos, then takes 3 Muslim families back to the Vatican, but no Christian families.

April 29, 2016
    Pro-abortion U.S. Vice President Joe Biden speaks at Vatican event on adult stem cells.

May 3, 2016
    Archbishop close to Pope says Pope wanted to conceal his support for communion for remarried divorcees. Archbishop Bruno Forte, the Special Secretary for the synods on marriage and family, claims publicly that Pope Francis said, “If we speak explicitly about communion for the divorced and remarried, you do not know what a terrible mess we will make. So we won’t speak plainly, do it in a way that the premises are there, then I will draw out the conclusions.”

May 12, 2016
    Pope says the Church should study ordaining women as deacons.

May 16, 2016
    Pope Francis compares radical Islam to Catholic evangelization: “It is true that the idea of conquest is inherent in the soul of Islam. However, it is also possible to interpret the objective in Matthew’s Gospel, where Jesus sends his disciples to all nations, in terms of the same idea of conquest.”

May 29, 2016
    Pope Francis gives award to Hollywood pro-abortion, anti-marriage advocates Richard Gere, George Clooney, and Salma Hayek.

June 2, 2016
    Pope laments too much focus on Christ's words to adulterous woman "go and sin no more": "Sometimes I feel a little saddened and annoyed when people go straight to the last words Jesus speaks to her: 'Go and sin no more'. They use these words to 'defend' Jesus from bypassing the law."

June 9, 2016
    Pope Francis: “Rigid… this or nothing” Catholics are “heretical” and “not Catholic.”

June 17, 2016
    Pope Francis: Cohabitations are “real marriage” and “have the grace of real marriage.”

June 21, 2016
    Pope Francis says there’s an absolute ban on the death penalty: “The commandment ‘Thou shalt not kill’ has absolute value and applies both to the innocent and to the guilty…. One sign of hope is that public opinion is manifesting a growing opposition to the death penalty, even as a means of legitimate social defence... It is an offence to the inviolability of life and to the dignity of the human person; it likewise contradicts God’s plan.”

Pope says all of Amoris Laetitia is sound doctrine: “For your own peace of mind, I have to tell you that everything that is written in the exhortation [Amoris Laetitia] – and here I refer to the words of a great theologian who once was a secretary of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, Cardinal Schönborn, who presented it [Amoris Laetitia] – everything is Thomistic, from the beginning to the end. It is sound doctrine.”

3. padraig

padraig Powers

July 7, 2016
    Pope Francis named Chicago Archbishop Blase Cupich to serve as a member of the Congregation for Bishops.

Pope Francis distances himself from ‘very conservative’ bishops.

July 18, 2016
    Vatican issues quick dismissal of Cardinal Sarah’s call for Mass facing East.

July 26, 2016
    Pope: Martin Luther’s intentions were not mistaken, he was a reformer.

July 27, 2016
    At World Youth Day, Vatican releases teen sex-ed program that leaves out parents and mortal sin and includes sexually explicit photos and films.

August 2, 2016
    Pope’s deaconess commission includes women’s priesthood supporter.

August 23, 2016
    Leaked e-mails show George Soros paid leftist groups to influence Pope’s USA visit. The e-mails name key papal adviser Cardinal Maradiaga as a potential contact.

September 1, 2016
    Pope Francis: Go to confession for not recycling, repent of excess plastic and paper, ecological conversion and new works of mercy.

September 9, 2016
    Pope: There’s “no other interpretation” of Amoris Laetitia than allowing communion for divorced/remarried in some cases.

Pope Francis: “Division is the weapon the devil employs most to destroy the Church from within.”

September 29, 2016
    Report reveals that some of the 45 signatories are feeling the heat over their letter urging clarification of ‘Amoris Laetitia’.

October 1, 2016
    Pope Francis says it is a “very grave sin” to try to convert the Orthodox: “There is a very grave sin against ecumenism: proselytism.”

October 2, 2016
    Pope Francis calls woman with sex-change operation a “man” and calls partners “married”.

October 6, 2016
    Pope: True doctrine is not a rigid attachment to the Law, which bewitches as ideologies do.

October 9, 2016
    Pope to replace Cardinal Sarah for speech at John Paul II Institute’s inauguration, and the Cardinal is not permitted to speak at another event.

In “seismic shift” Pope appoints very liberal Chicago Archbishop Blase Cupich and 2 more U.S. progressives among 17 new cardinals. He also appoints the liberal Belgian Jozef de Kesel as cardinal.

October 13, 2016
    Pope receives a statue of Luther in the Vatican and gives a new definition of “lukewarm.” Pope Francis told pilgrims to the Vatican “it is not licit” to “convince [non-Christians] of your faith.” “You must give testimony of your Christian life; it will be your testimony that will stir the hearts of those who look at you,” he added. And he concluded: "It will be the Holy Spirit that moves the heart with your testimony – that is way you ask – and regarding that you can tell the 'why,' with much thoughtfulness. But without wanting to convince."

In that meeting, the pope also offered a novel definition of “lukewarm,” which according to Pope Francis is when Christians “are keen to defend Christianity in the West on the one hand but on the other are averse to refugees and other religions.”

October 24, 2016
    Pope Francis said '…beneath rigidity there is something hidden about a person’s life. Rigidity is not a gift of God.

October 28, 2016
    Pope Francis again elevates Church progressives in a complete overhaul of the Vatican’s Congregation for Divine Worship.

November 1, 2016
    Pope proposes ‘new beatitudes for a new age’.

November 8, 2016
    Pope Francis again welcomes visit from Italy’s leading abortion advocate.

November 10, 2016
    Pope: Pontifical Academy for Life members no longer required to sign pro-life declaration.

November 11, 2016
    Pope Francis on the young who like Latin Mass: ‘Why so much rigidity?’ Pope Francis said he wonders why some young people, who were not raised with the old Latin Mass, nevertheless prefer it. "And I ask myself: Why so much rigidity? Dig, dig, this rigidity always hides something, insecurity or even something else. Rigidity is defensive. True love is not rigid."

In an interview Pope Francis said, “What we want is a battle against inequality, this is the greatest evil that exists in the world.

Eugenio Scalfari reports Pope Francis' response to a question, “It is the Communists Who Think Like Christians". The Vatican, as usual, does not issue any clarification.

November 18, 2016
    In wake of 4 Cardinals letter, Pope Francis rebukes ‘legalism’ of Amoris Laetitia critics.

Vatican expert: Sources say Pope Francis ‘boiling with rage’ over Amoris criticism.

November 27, 2016
    Pope publicly uses the scatalogical terms coprophagia and coprophilia.

December 21, 2016
    Pope launches an investigation of the Knights of Malta after they fired top official over condom scandal.

In his annual Christmas address to the Roman Curia, Pope Francis says that ‘malicious resistance’ to his reforms that ‘takes refuge in traditions’ is from the devil.

Beth B, Fatima and SgCatholic like this.
  4. padraig

padraig Powers

5. Clare A

Clare A Archangels

View attachment 6097

As I was reading Padraig's posts, words came into my mind: "Destroying Angel". A white mushroom that grows in woods and forests, often mistaken for the edible variety. This one looks a bit like a 'mushroom cloud'.

How will all this end?

AED likes this.
  6. padraig

padraig Powers

7. DivineMercy

DivineMercy Archangels

Seeing it all laid out..... I feel sick :sick:

Totus tuus and Beth B like this.
  8. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

I'm feeling the same Divine Mercy....this are not "nit picking" grievances . It's an avalanche.

9. SteveD

SteveD Archangels

True 2016 was a bad year for Papal quotes but 2015 was a problem too. E.g.
    (from The Remnant website).

"Scalfari: What happens to that lost soul? Will it be punished? And how? The response of Francis is distinct and clear (netta e chiara): there is no punishment, but the destruction/annihilation of that soul. [The Italian word is annullamento, literally, "turned into nothing", meaning here the same as the more usual Italian word for annihilation, annientamento] All the others will participate in the beatitude of living in the presence of the Father. The souls that are destroyed/annihilated will not take part in that banquet; with the death of the body their journey is finished. And this is the motivation of the Church’s missionary activity: to save the lost. And it is also the reason why Francis is a Jesuit to the end."

I translated this from Italian myself, having lived in Rome for many years and knowing Italian well. This annihilation of the wicked has been a popular thesis among liberal Jesuits in recent decades. And, yes, it is heretical – directly contrary to many Gospel passages (e.g., Mt. 25: 46) and the constant teaching of the Church's magisterium. Scalfari says this response of Francis to his question was "netta e chiara" -- "clear and distinct".

So if it's not quickly denied by the Vatican (no denial in the 11 months since publication) I think we can take it as probably authentic – although Scalfari has not always been exact in past reports of interviews with Pope Francis. (Denial of Hell and annihilation of the wicked is also the Jehovah's Witnesses' doctrine!)

Dolours likes this.
  10. DivineMercy

DivineMercy Archangels

Exactly. I was a teenager under Pope St John Paul II and loved him. I wanted nothing more than to be able to go to a world youth day, and cried the day he died. Then when Pope Benedict was elected I felt peace and joy, and embraced our new papa. When he announced his "retirement" (sorry, that's what I compare it to) I was confused, and felt abandoned. I couldn't and still don't understand why he did that. John Paul stuck it out through all his illness, all his pain. It was inspiring and I felt loved. I also couldn't help but feel uneasy. I listened to all the experts say that it was ok, that there was no schism, that there was still only one pope, and told myself that I was being ridiculous and needed to accept and love whoever was elected. When Pope Francis came to the balcony - I will never forget the sinking feeling in my heart. I didn't know who he was, but I felt sick. Over the next few years I told myself that I was being silly, he was our papa and to embrace him. I read and defended Laudato Si to many people, and "explained" away his rabbit comment and many others over the next few years. But here we are almost 4 years later, and that sinking feeling is still there, and my heart has no thought of him as "papa." I've told myself for years that "feelings" should always be dismissed because exorcists say that Satan is usually the culprit, so I continued defending him despite it all. But now with AL and the fallout with the bishops and cardinals pitted against each other with different interpretations, I'm done. Something is wrong, and I don't know for certain that it is with evil intentions, or from evil persuasions, but it's evil nonetheless. Many prophesies have talked of this, and because of that I am at peace. I know Mary's Immaculate Heart will Triumph in the end. But I will no longer defend the things Pope Francis says.

AED, BrianK, Totus tuus and 6 others like this.
  11. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

View attachment 6100 I could not agree more. You expressed my sentiments exactly. Very close friends have been expressing these concerns over the last year and I've back off. So afraid to be wrong. But as you said, there is little to no ambiguity with the most recent controversy. I'm not making any other judgement than that I believe he is wrong...I'm not saying why he is doing what he is doing. My discernment stops short of reading hearts, but I know right from wrong.....and he is wrong.
    These photos after he was elected sent chill up my spine. Looking back on it now, it was a for shadowing....

AED, BrianK, Fatima and 1 other person like this.
  12. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

This has symbolic meaning now as I look back on it...sadly.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  13. Praetorian

Praetorian Powers

The picture and video above are chilling.
    Absolutely nothing happens by accident. This is part of Catholic theology.
    There are in reality no "coincidences".

SgCatholic and Beth B like this.
  14. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

I think seeing this when it happened gave a lot of us pause....but we all wanted to hope for the best....

We really tried to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Hope our Lord directs our hearts and minds going forward....I'm always worried about taking such a strong stand.

Im equally worried about not taking one at all....silence is consent. God knows our hearts.

Fatima and DivineMercy like this.
  15. Praetorian

Praetorian Powers

We need to trust in Our Lord and Our Lady. In the end all we may have left is the Rosary and the Scapular. Our faith is going to be tested to the limits. Fr. Martin said what is coming will be so difficult it would test the faith of the greatest Saints.

Imagine trying to make it through this storm without access to the sacraments. That is going to be a nightmare. :(

We are a blessed group to be allowed to see the problems and have time to prepare ourselves spiritually and physically for what lies ahead.

AED, Beth B, Fatima and 2 others like this.
  16. DivineMercy

DivineMercy Archangels

I am so thankful for this, and feel truly blessed that Jesus has brought me to know these things in advance. I think my faith would feel devastated and demoralized without this knowledge. Thank you Jesus! :notworthy:

Fatima and Praetorian like this.
  17. Praetorian

Praetorian Powers

I feel the same way as well.
    Though I must admit though it can be disconcerting at times.

18. Fatima

Fatima Powers

All these dumb a** comments, I half heartedly excused through it all as it does not deal with doctrine, but discipline, but when he openly supported adultery and people living in adulterous situations in his document AL it became fully apparent that he is in clear apostasy to the truth of God.

Anyone who cannot see this at this point will be judged for their sin of apostasy as well. There is simply no other way to say it.

AED and DivineMercy like this.
  19. Praetorian

Praetorian Powers

I remember back during the two synods when everyone here was saying Holy Communion would never be given to active adulterers.

Even the most liberal elements here were saying this would never be allowed.
    That is could never be allowed.
    Go back and look at the synod threads they are still there.

And let's give credit where credit is due. Brian and Mac were singing from the rooftops back then about this issue. Many people said they were just making a big issue where there was none.

Remember that time?

That was just over a year ago everyone.
    Where will we be a year from now?

BrianK, AED, Dolours and 1 other person like this.
  20. Fatima

Fatima Powers

Yes they were right, but IMHO they could have been just as wrong back then before clear apostasy became apparent as it is now. For me, I had learned not to knee jerk my reactions, especially when talking about the vicar of Christ. The light is clearly brighter now than it was a year ago. The next question is when does the formal schism take place. Will it be during PF reign or during the confusion after global crisis?

AED and DivineMercy like this.