The Internet May Crash

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by padraig, Mar 19, 2020.

1. padraig

padraig New Member

Just a little heads up that the internet may be crashing soon.

Why? Well the servers are tailored to handle peak traffic in the evening time when folks get home from work.
    However because so many have stopped work and are in isolation they're bored and watching movies all the time 24/7 and this is placing huge strains on the systems.

This is true of Europe, I'm not sure about elsewhere.

Just to let you know in case your screens go blank.:)

Please God it doesn't block the ATM's/ Banking systems.:)
    In either case you're bound to notice much slower speeds.

So don't blame me.:D

https://uk.pcmag.com/networking/125279/covid-19-isnt-crashing-the-internet-yet

2. Indy

Indy Praying

The nice sunny day today in the west of Ireland allowed all of us to get out side into the garden and away from the internet. That should have saved a few mega bytes.

To be honest I am loving this chance to spend a lot of time with my close family. so far so good. But how fast has society changed? I still don't fuly believe that Sunday mass has been cancelled.

3. padraig

padraig New Member

Its like some awful nightmare you never wake up from. Even the Latin Mass has stopped. I am in two minds about it all. If the Bishop orders in we in obedience must comply. But does even a Bishop have the power to do such a thing?

But either way it makes little difference to me. They've stopped it and that's that. There nothing I can do about it either way.

It would break your heart.

'A Great Sign was seen in the Heavens...'

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  4. torrentum

torrentum Archangels

I heard on the radio today that Netflix was asked to reduce its streaming resolution to ease the pressure on the internet.
    I’ve not been out in over a week. To loose the internet would be cruel, not so much for Netflix, but for communication and eg this forum.

5. RoryRory

RoryRory Perseverance

Our masses have been cancelled in our diocese also— all of Nova Scotia.
    But our pastor is offering his daily masses for us all and available for confessions and sick calls. We must pray for these priests.He is in his 80’s.

josephite, Mario, AED and 6 others like this.
  6. Domum_Gressus

Domum_Gressus New Member

I work in IT, and for Comcast in the US (who owns SKY and speak with them regularly), so I get a little extra view into the Internet usage along with impact and mitigations. Companies are doing a great job of keeping up with the bandwidth. All technology is somewhere between 80-120% increase, depending on platform. In general everything is around double it's normal usage. Mobile phone companies are most of our team's complaints as they are really struggling to keep up. We experience a lot of call failures due to the increased load. Youtube, Netflix, Microsoft and Cisco have or are working towards reducing the bandwidth needs by 50% to help keep the Internet from being too congested.

-Jay

7. AED

AED Powers

God bless him. What a beautiful thing.

HeavenlyHosts, Beth B and Mario like this.
  8. "Quis ut Deus"

"Quis ut Deus" Powers Staff Member

Yes I am aware of the recent developments thanks I hinted at the problem a few days ago in the thread emergency information.. As I monitor things I might have to scale the forum back to its bare bones ie no pictures or videos or avatars or uploading content.. By doing this our host can't shut us down due to bandwidth if all that we are left with is simple messages or one line posts then at least we will still be in contact... I am watching the events and hope to keep one step ahead please pray that I do
    God bless John

9. Mario

Mario Powers

Thank you for your diligence!

10. padraig

padraig New Member

[​IMG]

We're at eight times our normal Traffic. With over 8.000 daily visitors.

These are not normal times. I need to keep the Mother of God Forum going. If I issue an instruction to someone on the forum, please , respect my request.:):)

I don't want to seem bossy, but my aim is to keep this site going. :)

Otherwise this may turn into a kind of mad house.

Be loving and kind and forgiving.

Be calm and peaceful.:)

I stress this to all new comers. I know our older members will do this anyway.

No mad nonsense.:).. or I'll ban you off this site at once without warning or explanation right away.

Behave , show respect for our Beliefs as we show respect and freedom of expression to your own.

This is a Catholic spiritual forum .

CATHOLIC.

Catholic or not you're very, very welcome here.

Respect this. We are Catholics; this is a Catholic Site.

Behave or be gone.