The Holy Fear of God.

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by padraig, Dec 30, 2020.

1. padraig

padraig New Member

Just heard a story about Padre Pio which induces a Holy Fear.

Padre Pio had heard a gentleman's confession and after he came out of the Confession Box appeared quite upset. One of the Friars noticed this and asked him what was wrong?

Padre Pio had told him he was to die within a week but that he should approach his coming death with humility and promised to accompany him.

Just imagine.

Gulp.:eek:

You can hear it below.

Imagine if that person had been you?

Gulp

Gulp:eek::eek::eek:

2. AED

AED Powers

I have been thinking a lot about this lately what with the times we are in--and to read this that Padre Pio helped him through it is a powerful grace indeed. That man was blessed. I know we are not supposed to try too hard to figure out thd exact time of the antichrist but events seem to ominously line up one after another. Pachamama seems a red line in the sand. I still wonder if my first thought "the abomination of desolation in the Holy place" was not the correct one.

3. Clare A

Clare A Archangels

I've also been wondering about this and agree, the Pachamama incident seems to have crossed a line.

In re-reading the Old Testament, I am struck by how much time God gives his people before he punishes them. Sometimes it doesn't seem very logical - a terrible apostate king rules for 50 years and God sends a punishment in the time of the successor. On the other hand, there is mercy in giving time to repent. After the abomination of desolation, which included the placing of a bowl of seeds and soil for veneration on the Papal Altar above the bones of St Peter, I would expect Something To Happen. The lightning bolt was pretty quick after Pope Benedict's resignation after all. Yet so far, nothing.

I know it's not up to us to advise God, I'm just wondering aloud how long we have to endure heretical and blasphemous practices in high places.

Jo M, AED, Te Deum and 2 others like this.
  4. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

I was thinking the same thing today. I am old and I remember vividly how holy our Church used to be. Masses were holy. No question. Our Church: One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic. Now we have to hold our breath and wait for the next shoe to drop.

Jo M, Clare A, AED and 1 other person like this.
  5. Don_D

Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

At least he had a week to get his affairs in order and reflect. That's a great blessing and I imagine Padre gave him great council as well.
    Personally, I don't think that the amazon synod issue crossed any line except on the part of those who took it upon themselves in anger and self righteousness to chuck it into the river. That was one of the least christian things anyone could have done. I used to think so but I don't anymore. I trust what Jesus promised us.
    The church has had far worse popes than Pope Francis IMO and I think if he were doing a poor job he would not be receiving even a fraction of the flack that he does. His position is probably the least enviable in the entire world facing the powers and forces that he does, both secular and spiritual, that all popes do. I am amazed at his resilience in the face of it. He is despised because he cares for the common person and is not easily influenced by powerful forces within the church which have struggled to contain the popes for centuries and most importantly use them to their advantage.
    Jesus warned us, where the body is the eagles will gather. It's plain language. We think of eagles in terms of symbols of national strength but they are ancient symbols of oppression, dominance, and absolute power.
    The church has forces within it which have been inside it from the very beginning leading people astray from the truth, trying to dominate the souls of men. Love God and love your neighbor. If we keep a love for others in our hearts and trust God the church will as always face difficulties but Jesus will not abandon nor remove the lamp stand, the angel of the church.
    The church simply can not stand still paralyzed and watch as the world passes us by. If we stop openly embracing others we will stop growing and stop producing fruit. Pope Benedict's resignation proves this. He was hemmed in and he knew the church needed a man like this. God will correct us and correct Pope Francis should he stray.

6. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 + To Jesus through Mary @-}--

Honestly? I don't fear God.

Respect, yes -- definitely.

Maybe the original meaning is a synonym of respect (instead of "afraid")?

padraig likes this.
  7. padraig

padraig New Member

Proverbs 9:10

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.

Yes this is it. In the Scriptural sense in which it is used in Proverbs I believe , 'Fear', means a profound respect for the numinous

the Holiness of God.

Whereas in this Scripture:

1 John 4:18

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

John is using the word, 'Fear' as we do ordinarily use in English. Say, 'Fear' of getting the virus.

8. garabandal

garabandal Powers

The holiness of God is to be feared.

God's holiness is way beyond human comprehension.

Like millions of dazzling suns to the human eye - is God's holiness to the soul --

God's holiness pierces through the soul illuminating every speck of sin -- nothing that is not holy can enter His Presence.

Therefore we must be perfectly purified to enter heaven and enjoy the beatific vision.

9. AED

AED Powers

I keep hoping that it will follow biblical lines-- 40 years in the desert rather than the 400 years of the Israelite in Egypt.:( Pope Leo's vision indicates 100 years and that time is probably up or shortly to be up. Who knows? I find my soul literally aches for the holiness and reverence of the old Mass in the old days . I guess I really am old! :unsure:

10. padraig

padraig New Member

There used to be an elderly lady who came to mass every day in the Monastery. One day she came to the Monastery and asked a priest to hear her confession as Jesus had come to her and told her that He was coming to take her home as she was going to die that night. She was in good health and in no danger so the priest laughed at her suggestion and more nor less told her to wise up. Though he heard her Confession anyway.

The next morning she was found at home. Her house was spotless and it was clear she had cleaned it from top to bottom. She had her Sunday best cloths on and was lying in bad , fully dressed on top of the duvet, arms folded in the sign of the Cross, with Rosary Beads in hers hands, stone dead and with a big smile on her face.:):)

Jo M, Rose, sterph and 5 others like this.
  11. padraig

padraig New Member

This reminds me of another nun , A Mother Superior who used to visit regularly and who had, believe it or not, the Stigmata and a huge Devotion to the Passion.

Anyway she always told the priests it was her huge desire and prayer to die at 3 pm on Good Friday. Which is exactly what happened a few years later...

Jo M, Rose, Julia and 4 others like this.
  12. Don_D

Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

Speaking as a father who loves his children I have no desire for my children to fear me. None. I do have the intense secret desire for them to love me however.

Rose, Julia, padraig and 1 other person like this.
  13. padraig

padraig New Member

Again the word , 'Fear', in the Bible means a sense of religious awe when faced with the utter holiness of God. It does not mean, 'fear' ,as we commonly understand it. When in Scripture we are reminded of this it is a hint that God is not a Pussy Cat. We must not think we can take Him on our knees and pet Him

Which is why we are told that the Seraphim, the Highest of the nine choirs of angels hide their faces from God. He is too holy for them to even look at.

Isaiah 6:2

Above him were seraphim, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying.

I think you see something similiar in the lives of the saints when they fall into ecstasies or raptures. When the sight of God becomes too much to bear.

In moments when we cry out with Peter in awe:

Luke 5:8

When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus' knees and said, "Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!"

[​IMG]

Julia, garabandal and AED like this.
  14. padraig

padraig New Member

You see it too in the life of Moses. Do you recall that when He came down from Sinai he had to veil his face because it shone with the Glory of God for it would have been too much for the people to bear.

Exodus 34:29-35

The Radiant Face of Moses
    29 When Moses came down from Mount Sinai with the two tablets of the covenant law in his hands, he was not aware that his face was radiant because he had spoken with the Lord. 30 When Aaron and all the Israelites saw Moses, his face was radiant, and they were afraid to come near him. 31 But Moses called to them; so Aaron and all the leaders of the community came back to him, and he spoke to them. 32 Afterward all the Israelites came near him, and he gave them all the commands the Lord had given him on Mount Sinai.

33 When Moses finished speaking to them, he put a veil over his face. 34 But whenever he entered the Lord’s presence to speak with him, he removed the veil until he came out. And when he came out and told the Israelites what he had been commanded, 35 they saw that his face was radiant. Then Moses would put the veil back over his face until he went in to speak with the Lord.

We do something symbolically similiar when we have altar rails in our Churches, veils on Tabernacles and kneel to receive the Eucharist on our tongues.

The Orthodox do this with the screen that separates the congregation from the altar (as in the Temple in Jerusalem).

The Jews show this awe in their profound respect for the Torah.

For as Pope Benedict reminded us that way we pray is the way we live. If we treat God with great casualness in our Liturgy we will treat Him with Great Casualness in our lives.

God is not a pussy cat. He should not be treated as such. He is the Lion of Judah.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    Clare A and garabandal like this.
  15. padraig

padraig New Member

You know even in our ordinary everyday lives for instance we need a certain sense of awe, a certain reverential fear in order to function best.

Sex is a good example of this. When we treat it is simple mechanical act we degrade it of its mystery. We kill it in fact. So that the ideal is that when husband and wife marry that they should both be virgins, to reserve the veil of holy mystery. Of mutual respect and awe.

You know even in as simple an act as climbing a mountain in the winter time their must be a certain reverential fear or respect, which will help keep us safe.

[​IMG]

Rose likes this.
  16. padraig

padraig New Member

This loss of the sense of Mystery, this loss of Mysticism, of the supernatural in the life of the Church is precisely why the Church in the West is dying. Why people desert us in their serried millions.

We are like the little girl who picks the flowers and laces them in a vase to admire them, but awakes after falling asleep to find them all dead.

Or like the little boy who captures a butterfly, placing it in a glass jar only to see it's wings stop and die.

We have placed God in box, thinking we owned Him , but in a sense having imprisoned Him in our own ideas killed Him there.

So many do not believe in Christ's Real Presence in the Eucharist because we do not treat Him with the Fearful Awe His Presence deserves. If you treat a host like a piece of Bread you will become convinced that is all it is, simply a piece of bread.

If you treat it with the wonder and fearful awe it deserves you will feed and enhance your Faith. Liturgy, good Liturgy is not an optional extra. We cannot make it up as we go along.

AED likes this.
  17. padraig

padraig New Member

Imagine cooking where we were never allowed seasoning like salt or herbs. How dull and uninteresting that would be. So predictable.

I love it that God throws us curve balls. . A for instance is that in prayer much of our difficulties in prayer is not by us doing badly but by doing so well. The Dark Night of the Soul for instance is not caused by God running away, but, rather by God coming so close and blinding us.

The sure sign of doing well in the Spiritual Life, the sure sign of growth is suffering the Cross. The greater the saint the greater the Crosses.

It is rather like God jumped into our car often, took over the driving seat and raced us to our utter horror races us at break neck speed round the race track of life.

Even Satan is the slave of Jesus, who has placed all things, even hell under his feet. So, for me even the attacks of Satan I find a little interesting and in fact if you fight back make us better soldiers in the never ending war. I gotta admit while the attacks sometimes set my hair on the end, I, in a really funny kind of way, have come to appreciate them. They kinda put a little spring under my tail. They keep me on my toes. Anyway they are permitted for good reason by our Good God.:):)

I don't know a little fear is tangy. I kind of relish it.

It transform the ordinary into an adventure. If someone told me that their spiritual life was staid and predictable , I would be a little concerned.

Curve balls are good for the soul.

Like this Virus. It's a huge curve ball. It's salt in our food. But we have to learn to count the blessings the Virus has brought us. ..and it has.

It is good practice to count the blessing the Bug has brought us.

Go ahead count them. Hardly anyone does this.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  18. Jo M

Jo M Powers

Truth.

Clare A and HeavenlyHosts like this.