'The City of God'.

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by padraig, Oct 13, 2021.

1. padraig

padraig Powers

In December of 410 word came to Hippo , the North African Seat of Bishop Saint Augustus that the City of Rome had Fallen.

For the remnants of the Empire throughout the World it must have well seemed, shell shocked that the World itself had ended. The equivalent in the present day might be that the cites of Europe and the USA had been invaded, its inhabitants murdered or made slaves and its great works destroyed.

St Augustine in writing , 'City of God', seems to have two aims , to comfort the Christian remnant and to combat the lie that it was because much of Rome became Christian that the Empire Fell.

Many claim this to be the greatest work outside the Bible. Augustine was a genius, no doubt about it and was probably among the best educated men to ever emerge from the Roman Empire. From what I can see he must have had a very large library at Hippo to draw on whilst writing this tome. His prose is so clear and his logic and thinking so clear it is a joy to listen to.

But none of this is what really draws my attention. It's just that his writing is so Prophetic to our own days when we know from Catholic Prophecy that our own Western Society is once again about to collapse into darkness. So what Augustine said to Fallen Rome back then, he also speaks to us.

[​IMG]

HeavenlyHosts and Jason Fernando like this.
  2. padraig

padraig Powers

St Augustine reminds us that our City is not of this World, that we are citizens of the City of God and that as citizens of Heaven nothing that happens on Earth can harm us.

It reminds me of the words of St Paul.

Romans 8:35-39

35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?

36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.

37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.

38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

https://um-insight.net/perspectives/when-things-falls-apart-saint-augustine-of-hippo-and-the-fal/

3. padraig

padraig Powers

A good for instance of his line of thought was in considering the women of Rome who were raped at its Fall. He reminds us that the women themselves did nothing wrong , it was the men who raped them that sinned. So that in remaining sinless in this regard they were always untouched and innocent.

He recounts a huge miracle at the Fall of the City I had never heard of before. When the barbarians entered the city and were killing all around them the Christians and pagans sheltered in the Churches an were safe there because the invaders respected Church Sanctuary. Not so with the Pagan Temples , everyone who sheltered there were killed.

Amazing. A Great Miracle.

I wonder was the beautiful Pantheon , a former Pagan Temple perhaps one of the Churches were these Early Catholics were saved. I love to visit this Church when in Rome.

Breath taking.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    PurpleFlower, Denise P, Jo M and 3 others like this.
  4. padraig

padraig Powers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HeavenlyHosts and AED like this.