Testimony Time!

Discussion in 'Inspirational Stories' started by Border collie, Feb 22, 2017.

1. This thread has been on my mind for some time and given the confusing age we are in, perhaps now is a good time to start it.
    It's aim is to focus our minds on the goodness of God and Our Lady etc. At the end of the day what will really only be important is for us to have faith in Jesus no matter what happens around us.

Perhaps some members would like to share what God has done for them personally, and / or what he has done for others through their prayers. By sharing we will help build up each other's faith, and of course give glory to God!

Maybe we can limit our stories to two, to begin with, so as to make for easy reading and to give variety to the thread....

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2017
    Beth B, Tanker and Mac like this.
  2. Don_D

Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

This is a great idea :) Bare with me on this... Kind of a long back story.

My mother divorced my biological Father before I was 1 years old. I grew up hearing stories of his alcoholism and physical abuse and as the years went by I grew very very resentful of my Father. I felt that I must have been really rotten for him and my entire family on his side not to have wanted anything to do with me all those years. My mother remarried 3 more times growing up and each time I had the men in my life ripped away from me when she divorced them. After my first step dad I walled myself off and became very troubled. I might add that it was he who insisted I be baptized to the RCC as a child.

When I came of age I decided that I should try to find my bio Dad. I contacted his sister and the reception was less than warm let me tell you but I managed to get her to give me his last known address with a promise that I would never again contact her. A promise I have kept.

In comes the Salvation Army. The SA has a service where they will help children to locate parents but the parent has the final say in whether or not they want to follow through with contact. This is a pretty big deal and at the time (the 80's) it was extremely hard to find people especially if you did not have things like a SS number. Well they found him and he agreed to meet with me. It was the beginning of a very tumultuous time for me. I still harbored a lot of resentment toward my father and when I met him and he was still an alcoholic and a man with some deep flaws I started to regret the decision I made to find him right off the bat. So, to make a long story short I went out of my way to run him off and he made no attempt to contact me afterward.

A decade had gone by, I had come to have a much deeper relationship with our Lord and he began changing my heart. I spent a lot of time praying each day especially in the mornings. Along the way I had come to terms with my Fathers failings (as well as my own) and had forgiven him and prayed for him regularly. My wife and I had our first child together and life was very good, with the exception of the regret I had over my anger toward my Father and how I had deliberately run him off. I couldn't get out of my mind that I now had a child who would never know her Grandfather or anyone on his side of my family.

I prayed about this and one morning sitting on my porch just asked our Lord that if it is what he wants that he somehow help me to come into contact with my Father again, so that I could make amends to him and maybe set things right between us. I asked this in his name and ended my prayer with His will not mine be done.

I went to work and it was a day like any other, I headed home and when I walked through the door the phone began to ring. Oh great I thought. Mom. My Mom has a tendency to talk for hours on the phone and its almost impossible to get her off the line. Thankfully, my wife answered as I was throwing my stuff on the table and when I turned around she had eyes the size of saucers. I started thinking the worst. I had recently lost two family members 1 day apart from one another.

She looked at me and said "It's your Dad."

I think about this often. I made amends to my Father thanks to God and we had 9 months of chatting and a few visits before he passed. Time to get to know each other a bit and just enjoy each others company. He never had a chance to meet his Grand daughter. Like I said, he was deeply flawed. I didn't want to pressure him about it so I didn't. I pray for him and light candles for him from time to time. God truly hears our prayers.

Beth B, Booklady, Julia and 9 others like this.
  3. Mac

Mac "To Jesus, through Mary"

What has God done for me personally?
    He has given me the very best of wives.:)
    And that is worth a lot.
    When I was growing up a priest once told us to find our potential spouse at the altar rail,rather than at the pub or night club or wherever.
    And that is what I did.
    It was good advice.

4. little me

little me Archangels

I'll make this a nutshell version.
    Grew up Catholic and fell away in high school thru college. Married at 23 and had 2 children. I was walking into my bedroom one afternoon and out of nowhere God burned 11 words onto my heart. This is what it actually felt like. I believe if I ever had open heart surgery the doctor would find this inscription on my heart.
    "The Catholic Church is the One, True Church of Jesus Christ".
    That was all it took. Dove in and never surfaced. :love:

5. josephite

josephite Powers

This is one of the greatest testimonies ever! and its in English. Please watch this! you will be totally overwhelmed by Our Lords Mercy and Love.

Yellowcoffeecup, Don_D, Julia and 2 others like this.
  6. Elisa

Elisa Powers

After the loss of a dear one (in my case my fiancée with a great faith) the person that is left behind has two options: fall into despair and reject God or turn his mind/spirit towards God and the beloved one who is with Him (or almost with Him) and then allow God to touch you (because this really happens after the loss of a beloved one - for this to happen, you only have to be quite and take for a while distance from the visible things) so you understand deep in your heart that life on earth is just the preparation towards a PERFECT world where there will be no more separations, no tears, where real Life will finally start, without any end. Because of the endured lost, God is nearer than ever (because He knows the enormous pain we endure) and will grant you signs (if you need it) and make you stronger in faith and will draw you closer to His Heart and His Mother and His Saints and Angels and give you inner peace towards the one who left already for the heavenly place and who is waiting with a big smile to welcome you. Separations through "death" can be very painful but I experienced it as a purification which detached me more intensively from worldly matters. Having beloved souls in Heaven is a Gift from God for they will guide and protect your life on earth even more and welcome you happily at the Door of Heaven, when it is your time to return to that unimaginable beautiful and eternal life. Most people do not like to die because they think that they will lose everything. But once they are at the other side of the curtain (Mother Mary once said that we should not be afraid of "dying" because "dying" was as walking through a curtain) they understand that they do not lack a single thing and do not even feel the desire to return to earth, despite the loved-ones they left behind. The unimaginable becomes true. Thank you Heavenly Father that You allow us to enter Your Kingdom as Your own Children.
    When you think about it that Muslims think that God do not call them by their personal name, but that He consider them as His slaves, we may consider us happy to know better and consequently, we have the moral obligation to inform them about this fact.

Beth B, Don_D, Julia and 5 others like this.
  7. Elisa

Elisa Powers

Josephite, when I wrote the last sentence in my message above, I was thinking of that video regarding the Muslim testimony, without knowing that you were posting it here at the same time that I was writing my messagee. Coïncidence ? I do not think so. ;)

Don_D, Julia, Andy3 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Elisa

Elisa Powers

This is another version of the testimony of Afshin Javid. You have to see it ! It will make you laugh and weep ! Start watching at point 1:03:25. This man has the pure sincerity and spontanity of a child.

What are we lucky to possess HIM (JESUS) !

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Tanker likes this.
  9. Andy3

Andy3 Powers

I tend to be rather wordy when I write or talk so I will try to be brief as well especially since I have written my testimony on here before.

- Born to a Irish/German Catholic Family in 1976 in the very Catholic city of Cincinnati, OH
    - Attended Catholic grade school through 6th grade then parents moved to a public school. Sunday church pretty much stopped at this point.
    - Always loved God when younger but in time moved away from the church. My family always teased that I would be a priest one day but I always said I liked girls too much ha ha. I don't ever remember a time not having a girlfriend ha ha...even in first grade!
    - Married young at age 23 to a Catholic girl I knew since first grade. We were not practicing our faith.
    - After 4 years of marriage we decided to try to have a family and our first child was born with a severe neurological disorder called Aicardi Syndrome . This is when I first attempted to return to God. I became so devout for about 5 months but then the New Age world distracted me away from my Catholic faith and I dove in deep to these spiritual beliefs primarily around the 11:11 phenomenon and angel guides/numerology.
    - Daughter passed at age 17 months and I was extremely "spiritual" for the next 7 years.
    - In 2012, I could feel God begin to call me back. I remember going into Lent with a Catholic mindset for the first time in 8 years. I did not come back to the church yet but the seed had been planted.
    - In 2013, I really could feel it again right before Lent. The journey really was about to begin. I once again wanted to focus hard on Lent and the faith and had really left my New Age beliefs. Ironically enough it really came about because of that series on the History Channel called the Bible. I was enthralled with it. Then, about a week into Lent, I was talking to a Baptist friend of mine and she asked me one question that rocked me. We were having a religious discussion like we always did, hers from a Baptist point of view mine from my spiritual, new age belief when she asked me, "Where will you go when you die?" I could not answer the question. I kept saying, "how can anyone know that answer?" She said, she knew that answer without a doubt. I struggled with her confidence for several days. I wanted her confidence more than anything I had ever wanted before. I wanted to know that I would be in heaven some day, once again reunited with my daughter. I became obsessed with dogmatic Christianity again. I started to read up on her faith because I had a problem with the Catholic church and was thinking it more a false church than truth. On March 17th, 2013 I was watching the Bible series and it was the episode on the Nativity. As soon has He was born in the show, tears just came streaming down my face. I had to pause the show and I looked to the sky and just called out to the Lord to take me back. I wanted Him in my life and I was so sorry for everything I had ever done. I just wanted to belong to Him again and I submitted my will to His. This was the first true day back to my Christian faith. If I were a baptist at this time it would be the day I was "saved" in my mindset but I just couldn't shake my Catholic roots.
    - It was in May of 2013 that I came across this site in my reading and research and it was this site that really brought me back to my Catholic roots. Since then I have been on fire really until about 2016 and the darkness set in a bit but those storm clouds and those tests seem to have passed recently, for now and hopefully for a long long time....maybe just in time for 2017.

Beth B, Don_D, Domenica and 8 others like this.
  10. Andy3

Andy3 Powers

I can't wait to watch the testimony above. I have not seen that one. This has been my favorite testimony for some time. It is amazing!!

11. padraig

padraig New Member

I love the way , Don , that grace and time have given you such a wonderful perspective on your Spiritual Journey. It reminds me of St Paul who tells us that were we are weak Christ will be strong. Your fathers journey is so central to your own. You could have chosen the path of rejection but you chose the path of acceptance and forgiveness and so the path of inner healing.

2 Corinthians 12:10

That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

It reminds me too of Jacob who wrestled with an angel; though in your case the angel you wrestled with was your father. So many of us have had wrestling matches with our fathers, I know I did. Though yours was a titanic one, that helped define you.

Genesis 32:22-31

Jacob Wrestles With God
    22 That night Jacob got up and took his two wives, his two female servants and his eleven sons and crossed the ford of the Jabbok. 23 After he had sent them across the stream, he sent over all his possessions. 24 So Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him till daybreak. 25 When the man saw that he could not overpower him, he touched the socket of Jacob’s hip so that his hip was wrenched as he wrestled with the man. 26 Then the man said, “Let me go, for it is daybreak.”

But Jacob replied, “I will not let you go unless you bless me.”

27 The man asked him, “What is your name?”

“Jacob,” he answered.

28 Then the man said, “Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel,a]">[a] because you have struggled with God and with humans and have overcome.”

29 Jacob said, “Please tell me your name.”

But he replied, “Why do you ask my name?” Then he blessed him there.

30 So Jacob called the place Peniel,b]">[b] saying, “It is because I saw God face to face, and yet my life was spared.”

31 The sun rose above him as he passed Peniel,c]">[c] and he was limping because of his hip.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Tanker likes this.
  12. Tanker

Tanker Powers

I told part of my story in another thread but here's a fuller version

I was born into a Catholic family, went to Catholic school through High School. My parents divorced when I was young and so I grew up with my mom and brother. I was really involved with my faith in my teens. Youth group was so much fun and I sang in church every week. I got involved with retreats after High School. I was helping put on retreats and was still involved with the Youth group. I had been going to a community college and then went to University which required me to move to Northern California (I grew up in So Cal). I slowly fell away from the faith. This isn't really unusual I don't think. I met a nominally Jewish guy who was involved with Eastern religions and the New Age. We married and started a life. The marriage didn't last long and we divorced 2 years later. We had moved to So Cal during that time and so after the divorce I was back in So Cal. I was heavily involved with the New Age and read everything I could. It made sense to me somehow and belief in reincarnation allowed me to become hard hearted. Funny, I never would have seen that about myself at the time but upon reflection, I see it now.

I remarried some years later and we had 2 children. He had a previous marriage with one son and so I have a step-son. We were both Catholic but not practicing. We were just floating along with the culture and neither of us had much faith. We both believed we were still Catholic though and we were “good” people. I believed in a woman’s “choice” and SSM and SSA were ok, I mean, what does it matter if you love someone. Was somewhat of a feminist and believed religion was really only around to control people but stopped short of ever being an Atheist. I just bought ALL the lies of the culture, sorry to say.

I am not even sure what actually turned me. It might have been the presidency of Obama and the degeneration of the culture that started me back. Maybe someone in Heaven or Purgatory, one of my relatives, prayed me back. I am not sure. One day, when my children were 10 and 7, I decided that we needed to get them Baptized and on the road to receiving the Sacraments. My husband didn’t want to have anything to do with it but I went to our local parish and inquired about Baptism. I was worried that they couldn’t get baptized since I had been divorced and remarried. I guess something from my youth stuck with me….lol. I enrolled them in catechism and they started classes.

Shortly after that, I was sitting in my sewing room on a project, and a realization came over me, I was going to hell. If I died at that moment, by my life, I was choosing hell. I just started crying and asking God to forgive me. I felt such sorrow. I also felt fear, but the sorrow I felt for wasting my life with all the nonsense, was choking. I called immediately and set up an appointment for confession and spoke to a priest about my situation. We began the annulment process, received our decrees of nullity 2 years later and then we were convalidated.

I thank God all the time for allowing me the Grace to respond and come back.

13. BrianK

BrianK Guest

The second hour of this radio recording is my story of the difficulties of the last year and God's Providence. (I think I've posted this link somewhere on MOG before.)

http://listen.ewtn.com/~JW/~JW20161001.mp3

Tanker likes this.
  14. padraig

padraig New Member

Sirach

CHAPTER 26
    1Happy the husband of a good wife;*

the number of his days will be doubled.
    a

2A loyal wife brings joy to her husband,

and he will finish his years in peace.

3A good wife is a generous gift

bestowed upon him who fears the Lord.
    b

4Whether rich or poor, his heart is content,

a smile ever on his face.

5There are three things I dread,

and a fourth which terrifies me:

Public slander, the gathering of a mob,

and false accusation—all harder to bear than death.

6A wife jealous of another wife is heartache and mourning;

everyone feels the lash of her tongue.

7A wicked wife is a chafing yoke;

taking hold of her is like grasping a scorpion.

8A drunken wife arouses great anger,

for she does not hide her shame.

9By her haughty stare and her eyelids

an unchaste wife can be recognized.

10Keep a strict watch over an unruly wife,

lest, finding an opportunity, she use it;
    c

11Watch out for her impudent eye,

and do not be surprised if she betrays you:

12As a thirsty traveler opens his mouth

and drinks from any water nearby,

So she sits down before every tent peg

and opens her quiver for every arrow.

13A gracious wife delights her husband;

her thoughtfulness puts flesh on his bones.

14A silent wife is a gift from the Lord;

nothing is worth more than her self-discipline.

15A modest wife is a supreme blessing;

no scales can weigh the worth of her chastity.

16The sun rising in the Lord’s heavens—

the beauty of a good wife in her well-ordered home.

17The light which shines above the holy lampstand—

a beautiful face on a stately figure.

18Golden columns on silver bases—

so her shapely legs and steady feet.

[​IMG]

Mac likes this.
  15. padraig

padraig New Member

Psalm 84

1 How lovely is your dwelling place,
    O Lord most high,
    we long to know more of your grace,
    and yearn to see you face to face,
    O Lord most high!

2 The sparrow comes to build her nest,
    O Lord most high,
    and in your house finds peace and rest:
    so may we to be ever blessed,
    O Lord most high!

3 Your people come to you again,
    O Lord most high,
    for here we feel your strength, like rain
    refreshing us through toil and pain.
    O Lord most high!

4 In fellowship your love we share,
    O Lord most high,
    far better is one day of prayer
    than any spent in worldly care,
    O Lord most high!

5 How lovely is your dwelling - place,
    O Lord most high,
    we bring you all our trust and praise,
    and ask your blessing on our days,
    O Lord most high!

[​IMG]

little me likes this.
  16. padraig

padraig New Member

Solomon's Song of Songs:

kiss me with the kisses of his mouth, for your love-making is sweeter than wine;

will be our joy and our gladness. We shall praise your love more than wine; how right it is to love you.

anger on me, they made me look after the vineyards. My own vineyard I had not looked after!

will you lead your flock to graze, where will you rest it at noon? That I may no more wander like a vagabond beside the flocks of your companions.

upload_2017-2-23_7-10-3.jpeg

Elisa likes this.
  17. padraig

padraig New Member

John 3:8

The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."

[​IMG]

Tanker likes this.
  18. Elisa

Elisa Powers

I would like to put so many "likes" everywhere in this forum, but I can only do this when I have read it, but I have so little time ! :(

Don_D likes this.
  19. Don_D

Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

I am just so grateful padraig that our Lord softened my heart and gave me that chance to make amends to him. He was very alone in this world, and while he himself sinned greatly in his life who of us have not?

You are very insightful. I read this post of yours a few days ago in fact but wanted time to reflect on it before I responded. I can personally attest to just how merciful and patient God has been with my attempts to wrestle against Him. Even giving me incredible blessings in spite of my willfulness. He may have also touched my hip as well.

My own weakness physically has helped me begin to see our Lord's work. What at first led to bitterness has ripened into a reliance on our Mother, Our Lord Jesus and the Church that he left for us.

I only wish that I were as strong as the Hassar, I am often brought to tears of gratitude over the love he has shown us, and me personally.

Beth B likes this.
  20. Don_D

Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

This thread especially is so incredibly uplifting that maybe there should just be a single like for the entire thread!

Elisa, Tanker and Beth B like this.