summer reading list

Discussion in 'Books, movies, links, websites.' started by darrell, Jun 29, 2009.

1. darrell

darrell New Member

Hi everyone. I know I've been gone, just very busy, but I have been peeking in to see what's being discussed. Made a new post on my blog. If anyone is interested in reading The Death of a Pope, Our Lady of Kibeho, Monsignor Quixote or Out of the Silent Planet and would like to discuss it here, let me know.

http://darrellbowles-climbingthemountain.blogspot.com/

Darrell

2. Mario

Mario Powers

I better!

Darrell,

I'm sure you've heard the term, double-whammy. Well, both you and my brother, Mike, have in effect, recommended C.S. Lewis' Space Triology; so, this summer I will take the plunge!

Safe in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary! 8)

3. darrell

darrell New Member

Terry,

If they're anywhere near as good as The Narnia Chronicles, I'm sure they'll be both very entertaining as-well-as loaded with insight. 8)

I ordered the entire trilogy. Let me know when you begin reading the first book.

4. darrell

darrell New Member

I just finished Our Lady of Kibeho, and it was wonderful. I highly recommend it.

A number of things struck me. First, the apparitions in Rwanda began the same year as the apparitions in Medjugorje. (Actually, at least one visionary had one apparition several years before this.) The messages were really consistent with other apparitions in Garabandal, Medjugorje, and Fatima: prayer, especially the Rosary, conversion of heart, forgiving those who have offended you, etc.

As with some other apparitions, Our Lady took some of the visionaries on “journeys” to Heaven, Hell and Purgatory. The descriptions are really incredible.

It was fascinating reading about the people’s response when the apparitions began in Rwanda. Hundreds and thousands made pilgrimage on foot, many, many miles through the bush, with not enough provisions, but Our Lady provided for them.

The atmosphere in Kibeho seemed to be very festive, with much singing and dancing, and there were many miraculous signs given to the crowds. But Our Blessed Mother continued to plead, saying the people were not converting, their hearts still filled with hate. On the Feast of the Assumption in 1982, Our Lady showed the visionaries images of the genocide that was to come. Many who thirteen years later were among those who carried out the slaughter in Rwanda were among those in Kibeho witnessing the signs and listening to Our Lady’s messages. No wonder Our Lady was so sad.

In Our Lady of Kibeho, the hand of God, Providence, is clearly evident to me in Immaculee’s account of the Blessed Virgin’s apparitions in her country. Good book. :D

I’m well into Monsignor Quixote and am thoroughly enjoying it.

5. padraig

padraig New Member

One thing about Kibeho, Darrell that you don't get in Medugorje is the constant reference to the prophesy that , 'Jesus is coming again!' I used to wonder what this meant until I understood from Maria Esperanza in Betania in Venezula that this means a kind of Second Coming of Jesus when He will reveal Himself gently but firmly to everyone all over the world, resulting on mass conversions....I suppose in its turn related to the Illumination of Conscience. Mary said at Medugorje that if it was necessary she would appear to every soul in the world, this fits with Kibeho.

One thing about Kibeho is that it is very, very sobering when we look at what happened in Rwanda. Personally I expect the area right around Medugorje, the whole region round it to be destroyed. similiarly in Japan and Venezuala were Mary also appeared. Mary has an old tittle, 'She who stands in the gap' meaning a warrior who stands were the battle is hardest. This is why most of the visionaries from Medugorje no longer live there.

Just guessing :wink:

6. garabandal

garabandal Powers

The apparitions of our Blessed Mother are of biblical significance [Rev 12] and I beleive
    she is the prophetess of these end times. She calls us to conversion before it is too late.
    There will come a time when it will be too late to convert when the balance tips from
    mercy to judgement. In the Old Testament God sent his prophets to warn the people
    for eg Jonah went to the Ninevites and they repented. God sends his mother the Queen
    of Heaven to call all chidren to turn to her divine Son, the Prince of Peace.

http://www.funtrivia.com/en/subtopics/V ... 40101.html

7. Mario

Mario Powers

Darrell,

I'm a little slow on the draw. I have finished Out of the Silent Planet. I found Lewis' depiction of an out-of-this-world biosphere very captivating. His critic of human nature's inclination toward arrogance and condescension was superbly portrayed in the Weston character. Random's gradually transformation was the ray of hope. More to come.

Safe in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary!

8. darrell

darrell New Member

:lol: That's OK Terry. As soon as I finish Monsignor Quixote I'll start the first book of the trilogy and see if I can catch up to you.

9. darrell

darrell New Member

I've finished Monsignor Quixote and all I can say is "Wow!". Graham Greene is such a good writer -- considering my own abilities in comparison, I'm tempted to set aside the keyboard forever. Greene has a knack for profound endings. This book was published in 1982, so the style is a little dated, with a certain sophistication lacking in most contemporary fiction.

Here's another new book that looks good. Padraig, I know you're fascinated with this stuff.
    http://www.examiner.com/x-17195-LA-Esot ... o-a-review

Terry, I've finished the first half-dozen chapters of Into the Silent Planet. I'll let you know when I'm done.

10. padraig

padraig New Member

I saw that Darrell, I am going to buy a copy as a treat. :D :D :D

I am a little surprised the Bishop picked a young priest as a trainee who didn't fully believe this stuff. Still a good lesson for him, I'm sure he got his eyes opened. :wink: