St. Teresa of Avila-prayer for lost time

Discussion in 'The Saints' started by Annie, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Annie

Annie Angels

If you are anything like me (and I hope you aren’t ), you spend a lot of time thinking about what you could have done differently, how much time you wasted fretting over things that didn’t really matter, and, perhaps most importantly, how much of your time you didn’t spend in prayer or give to God. In fact, for me it could become quite paralyzing, to the point where I was wasting more time thinking about that which had already passed instead of that which was current or yet to come (a clever trick of the devil!). I recently found this prayer of St. Teresa of Avila about “redeeming” lost time of the past and while it will surely take me a bit to change my thought processes, I’m hopeful to think of the good it may bring. Hope it helps some of you too!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/aletei...o-redeem-lost-time-by-st-teresa-of-avila/amp/

Suzanne, padraig, AED and 5 others like this.
  2. Jo M

Jo M Powers

This is a beautiful prayer Annie, thank you for sharing it.
    It is very difficult to detach from the past, I often waste time thinking about choices that I have made along the way. I have bookmarked this lovely prayer. :)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    AED and josephite like this.
  3. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Annie, thank you so much!!!!! Saving this prayer.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is all we have."
    Jesus spoke of NOW, now being the time of salvation.

AED and josephite like this.
  4. josephite

josephite Powers

Years ago I read an account of a nun who gave the following prayer to her community, I believe it could too be prayed for lost time.

It was given by nun who was praying for the soul of another nun of her order who had recently died; The soul of the the dead nun appeared to her, thanked her for her prayers and then stated that it was due to a particular prayer which she recited every night that she was saved from hell! and she asked this nun to make the prayer known to her community as it was very powerful.

Maybe someone here has more information on this event, I can't remember any other details; but the prayer has stayed with me and I try to remember to recite it each night.

Eternal Father
    I offer Thee the Sacred Heart of my Lord Jesus, the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary and the Chaste Heart of St Joseph, with all their Love, Sufferings and Merits.

Firstly..... to expiate all the sins I have committed this day and during all of my life.
    Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning , is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen

Secondly...... to purify the good I have done badly this day and during all of my life.
    Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning , is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen

And Thirdly.... to supply for the good that I have neglected this day and during all of my life.

Mario, Tanker, Jo M and 3 others like this.
  5. AED

AED Powers

I LOVE this prayer. Thank you for posting.

josephite and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  6. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Beautiful, thank you Josephite.
    I think this is called the prayer for daily neglects.
    I need this.

AED, josephite and Tanker like this.
  7. Sam

Sam Powers

josephite and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  8. padraig

padraig New Member

Beautiful. It reminds me of St Claude De Columbiere, St Margaret Mary's Confessor who was forever warning about wasting time>

Jo M and josephite like this.
  9. AED

AED Powers

I pray a version of this (from pieta prayer book every night). I can't go to sleep til I've said it! I really need it too. I like Josephite's version. I might change over.:)

HeavenlyHosts likes this.
  10. Mario

Mario Powers

O my God! Source of all mercy!
    I acknowledge Your sovereign power.
    While recalling the wasted years that are past,
    I believe that You, Lord,
    can in an instant turn this loss to gain.
    Miserable as I am,
    yet I firmly believe that You can do all things.
    Please restore to me the time lost,
    giving me Your grace,
    both now and in the future,
    that I may appear before You in “wedding garments.”

Amen.

Sam, HeavenlyHosts and AED like this.