St. John Eudes

Discussion in 'The Saints' started by DesertStar7, Sep 22, 2020.

1. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 To Jesus + through Mary @-}--

Have just discovered him today! :) I have an affinity for the French (...no, have never been to France...and I try not to "over-extend" my perceptions...but I'm a romantic, so yeah - I probably do).

Apparently they're not fond of Americans and vice versa, but I still have an affinity for the French! :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Eudes

These are on my to-read list; my public library is again open. :love:

MaryBook17thCenturyClassic.jpg MaryBook17thCenturyClassic2.jpg

2. DesertStar7

Eudes taught about the mystical unity of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary and wrote:

"You must never separate what God has so perfectly united. So closely are Jesus and Mary bound up with each other that whoever beholds Jesus sees Mary; whoever loves Jesus, loves Mary; whoever has devotion to Jesus, has devotion to Mary." (Wikipedia)

AED and Sam like this.
  3. DesertStar7

"When we think of devotion to the Sacred Heart, we think of Saint Margaret Mary. However, this devotion goes back further in history to Saint John Eudes, who wrote on the subject. And now we see that the Carthusians also were following this devotion before Saint Margaret Mary. A glance at these pages will show how justified was Dom Le Masson in claiming that the devotion revealed to St. Margaret Mary and made popular by her efforts was already an old one in the Carthusian Order."

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1483907139/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also on my to-read list! :love: SacredHeartAncientDevotions.jpg

AED likes this.
  4. DesertStar7

The above book brings to mind a question (which I'm unsure I want to ask)...I was genuinely surprised to come across the above book. :coffee:

So far in my reading (and devotions), devotion to the Sacred Hearts is attributed to St. Gertrude, St. Mechtilde, and St. Margaret Mary. :unsure:

Is that due to deliberate Feminist influence? :coffee:

5. AED

AED Powers

No I don't think so at all. I think the devotions gained traction through their prayers and visions. It could be St John Eudes was very influenced by St Gertrude and St Mechtilde.

DesertStar7 likes this.