St Aloysius Gonzaga

Discussion in 'The Saints' started by padraig, Sep 29, 2012.

1. padraig

padraig New Member

I was reading about this young saint the other week; I don't know if you know much about him?

[​IMG]

Anyhow as soon as I started reading his life I went striaght for the switch of button . Why? Because I suppose his life was so different from mine..and his spirituality too. He came from a very powerful wealthy, family whereas mine was poor and working class. He seemed too to me to be too much a kind of plaster cast saint, holy even from babyhood. Never putting a foot wrong, so to speak.

I love saints who are great sinners great follicking bad guys and gals, also now I am little older I take more interest maybe in the older saints who have really lived life.

Anyhow at the edn of reading about him I said a little prayer to him, but I admit a dutiful prayer without enthusaism .

Iw as surprised a short time later in prayer to see him standing there smiling down at me. I noticed two things. One his black cassock seemed very blown out and bulky , then I realised that for people of his time period religious vestments weren't just for show and in a time when there was no central heating lots of cloth were a BIG necessity. I was also suprised at the length of his hair ; somehow, don't ask me why I expected it to be short whereas it was quite long and cut in a funny kind of shape (a tonsure?)

But I was so pleased to meet him he was smiling braodly and didn't see m such a plaster saint at all but very warm and human.:)

I guess the big lesson for me in all this is that maybe sometimes we don't take an interest in a particular saint; but they can take a warm interest in us;) It reminded me that the Communion of Saints isn't just an odea; it's a practical reality. These folks really pay an interest in us, uor going ons and most importantly our prayers, even half hearted worthless ones like mine.

So I have gotten the St Aloysius bug and have a new friend in heaven.:):)

Prayer to Saint Aloysius Gonzaga, Patron of Youth

Dear Christian youth, you were a faithful follower of Christ in the Society of Jesus. You steadily strove for perfection while generously serving the plague-stricken. Help our youth today who are faced with a plague of false cults and false gods. Show them how to harness their energies and to use them for their own and others' fulfillment—which will redound to the greater glory of God. Amen.

Born to the Italian nobility who grew up in a castle, the son of Ferdinand Gonzaga, a prince in the Holy Roman Emperor and a compulsive gambler. Cousin of Saint Rudolph Acquaviva. Trained from age four as a soldier and courtier. Served as a page in the Spanish court. He suffered from kidney disease, which he considered a blessing as it left him bed-ridden with time for prayer. While still a boy himself, he taught catechism to poor boys. He received his First Communion from Saint Charles Borromeo. At age 18, Aloysius signed away his legal claim to his family’s lands and title to his brother, and became a Jesuit novice. Spiritual student of Saint Robert Bellarmine. Tended plague victims in Rome, Italy in the outbreak of 1591 during which he caught the disease that killed him at age 23.​
    Born
    Died

[​IMG]

Suzanne, AED, HeavenlyHosts and 2 others like this.
  2. Jane

Jane Angels

Padraig, you are so blessed to be allowed to see such marvels.
    This probably comes because you can pray from the heart.
    "Seek and you shall find"

Suzanne, AED and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  3. padraig

padraig New Member

Everything is gift, Jane. The credit all goes to the giver, all is grace.:)

[​IMG]

Suzanne, AED and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  4. You were taught a lesson there Padraig but i can relate to what
    you say about plaster cast Saints :)

Suzanne and AED like this.
  5. padraig

padraig New Member

Yes Janine, it always cheers me up to thinnk St Peter snd the other apostles ran away and that St PAul was genuine 10 carat bad boy beofre his conversion.:) I am afraid that stories of people who were saintly from childhood has me reaching for the, 'Off' switch.;)

Suzanne, AED and Jane like this.
  6. Jane

Jane Angels

I only learnt about St Paul this year. (Hard to believe I have been a practising Catholic all my life)
    I love his story. Bad boy turned good. He gives me hope!

AED likes this.
  7. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 + To Jesus through Mary @-}--

AED and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  8. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

St Aloysius is a good saint to pray to for purity.

AED and DesertStar7 like this.
  9. Dee Stewart

Dee Stewart New Member

I am very impressed with this saint because he sacrificed so much. He left all his riches. That is really tough to do. Many people are bad turned good, at least the people I know. . To me, he is a breath of fresh air. And unique.

AED, HeavenlyHosts and Sam like this.