Spiritual Reading

Discussion in 'Books, movies, links, websites.' started by padraig, Feb 9, 2019.

1. padraig

padraig New Member

Shae, SgCatholic and gracia like this.
  2. Seagrace

Seagrace Archangels

Every day read a pious book, and avoid bad company as you would Satan. Obey with the greatest exactitude. Obedience is a celestial pearl. Jesus Himself, through obedience, laid down His most holy life on the hard wood of the cross. Charitably compassionate the poor. Be just to all. Humble yourself before everybody, for the love of God.

St. Paul of the Cross

gracia, padraig, fallen saint and 2 others like this.
  3. Katfalls

Katfalls Archangels

padraig, Seagrace and fallen saint like this.
  4. Seagrace

Seagrace Archangels

This touched me deeply back in October last year.

If You Have Nothing
    [​IMG]

If You Have Nothing

If you have nothing: laurel leaf or bay,
    no flower, no seed, no apple gathered late,
    do not in desperation lay
    the beauty of your tears upon the clay.

If you have nothing, gather back your sigh,
    and with your hands held high, your heart held high,
    lift up your emptiness! ~
    Jessica Powers, OCD

djmoforegon likes this.
  5. padraig

padraig New Member

Aww, I like this one:

A beautiful snow last night and this morning a bird singing outside my window. This brings to mind a poem by Jessica Powers about a chickadee in a snow storm. There is always something to be learned from God’s creatures if we just take the time to look and ask Him to help us to really see.

[​IMG]

Look at the Chickadee

I take my lesson from the chickadee
    who in the storm
    receives a special fire to keep him warm,
    who in the dearth of a December day
    can make the seed of a dead weed his stay,
    so simple and so small,
    and yet the hardiest hunter of them all.

The world is winter now and I who go
    loving no venture half so much as snow,
    in this white blinding desert have been sent
    a most concise and charming argument.
    To those who seek to flout austerity,
    who have a doubt of God’s solicitude
    for even the most trivial of His brood,
    to those whose minds are chilled with misery
    I have this brief audacious word to say:
    look at the chickadee,
    that small perennial singer of the earth,
    who makes the week of a December day
    the pivot of his mirth.

~Jessica Powers

Sunnyveil, djmoforegon and Seagrace like this.
  6. padraig

padraig New Member

It reminds me of this:

D. H. Lawrence . 'I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.'

djmoforegon, gracia and Seagrace like this.
  7. padraig

padraig New Member

[​IMG]

Seagrace likes this.
  8. padraig

padraig New Member

The times are nightfall, look, their light grows less;
    The times are winter, watch, a world undone:
    They waste, they wither worse; they as they run
    Or bring more or more blazon man’s distress.
    And I not help. Nor word now of success:
    All is from wreck, here, there, to rescue one—
    Work which to see scarce so much as begun
    Makes welcome death, does dear forgetfulness.

Or what is else? There is your world within.
    There rid the dragons, root out there the sin.
    Your will is law in that small commonweal…
    Gerard Manley Hopkins

djmoforegon, AED and Seagrace like this.
  9. Seagrace

Seagrace Archangels

Padraig, beautiful.

gracia likes this.
  10. Seagrace

Seagrace Archangels

Or what is else? There is your world within.
    There rid the dragons, root out there the sin.

Exactly the call for me from yesterday.

djmoforegon, gracia and padraig like this.
  11. padraig

padraig New Member

I love the stories about St Francis and the animals. I am sure they are all true no matter how incredible. There are many, many, many stories about the Irish saints and animals.

There is a beautiful story about St Seraphim and a bear. I am quite sure that is true too.

gracia likes this.
  12. Suzanne

Suzanne New Member

Praise be to Jesus!
    Thank you, Padraig for this wonderful forum. I've been lurking here since 2013. I've never participated here or in any other forum, but I'd like to start.
    I want my first ever post to honor Our Lady and to publicly thank her for all She's done for my family since my conversion. I don't have the words so I'd like to recommend a free book on Google play books called "The Fairest Flower of Paradise, Considerations of the Blessed Virgin. It's a little book on the Litany of Loreto, little homilies of each title with a short example of a saint after each.
    I hope to join in on more conversations in the future, for I truly respect all here.
    Immaculate Conception pray for us!

Forgot the author, Very Rev Alexis Marie Lepicier

Sam, Carol55, Sunnyveil and 3 others like this.
  13. padraig

padraig New Member

Ahh I see it. It is a classic printed in 1922 I think. Some of these are very dear to buy. I will try google play today and see if I can get it free.

'Alexis-Henri-Marie Lépicier OSM (28 February 1863, Vaucouleurs, Meuse – 20 May 1936) was a Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church who was Prefect of the Sacred Congregation for Religious.

Lépicier was born in Vaucouleurs, France. He joined the Order of Servants of Mary on 1 March 1878 in London. He attended the Seminary of Saint-Sulpice Paris and the Pontifical Urban University "De Propaganda Fide" in Rome. He was ordained to the priesthood on 19 September 1885 in London. He served as Master of novices from 1890 until 1892 and was a faculty member of Pontifical Urbanian Athenaeum "De Propaganda Fide," from 1892 until 1913. He served as Rector of the Servite College, Rome from 1895 until 1913 and was General Procurator of his order in 1901. He was appointed Apostolic visitor and delegate to Scotland by Pope Pius X and was in Scotland from 1912-1913.'
    [​IMG]

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fairest-Flower-Paradise-Considerations-Enriched/dp/1104389118

[​IMG]

Sam and AED like this.
  14. garabandal

garabandal Powers

Sam and Carol55 like this.
  15. Katfalls

Katfalls Archangels

An excerpt from the book, "A retreat with Jessica Powers, Loving A Compassionate God", "while living in New York in the late 1930's, before her entrance into the Carmelite community in 1942, Jessica Powers was having a discussion with an editor when the conversation turned theological. What was the greatest attribute in God, truth or beauty? As Jessica Powers narrates the story, she held out for beauty as the deepest revelation of God, whereas the editor sided with truth. The dialogue went on for over two hours with no discernible victory.
    Years later, in relating this "argument", Jessica Powers laughed and said, "We were both wrong. God's greatest attribute is mercy. In the end, that's all we have and desire.

Sam, Carol55 and AED like this.