Spaceweather.com Interesting events happening

Discussion in 'The Signs of the Times' started by MomsCalling, Sep 10, 2011.

1. MomsCalling

MomsCalling Principalities

Hi all,
    http://www.spaceweather.com
    As many of you know I enjoy checking spaceweather.com for the latest goings on in the skies, and comparing it to what we on this forum are expecting, or not expecting. I think its good to keep a focus on what is physically happening, not just on predictions and speculations. Besides, God works through His awesome nature too, and if nothing else, it is simply beautiful and awe-inspiring what is happening in the cosmos above us sometimes. I love a good meteor shower, or a lunar eclipse. I am anticipating what we will see with Comet Elenin, there are asteroids flying by every day at close range, and this website keeps you in the loop. And if you are in a good place to see auroras, this site will tell you when the good ones are coming to a skyscape near you.

I subscribe to the email updates. They only send them when events are happening, they do not spam you with stuff. As things are reported that I think may be of interest to the forum, I will post them here on this thread.

Over the last year or two, leaps and bounds have occurred in the science of spaceweather watching. The sun is better monitored than ever before. Coincidence? Perhaps, perhaps not, but regardless, it gives us science nuts something tangible to watch. I love to tie it all together...God, Nature, Miracles, Signs, Phenomena, Supernatural occurrences...all His, and all for our wonder and discernment.

From the site: "Interplanetary space weather forecasting is a new thing. It became possible in 2010-2011 when NASA and ESA spacecraft surrounded the sun. Working together, SOHO, the Solar Dynamics Observatory, STEREO-A and STEREO-B now have the entire star under surveillance. CMEs can be tracked no matter where they go, which means space weather isn't just for Earth anymore."

A big geometric storm is hitting us today, so there should be some great auroras tonight for some of you. And they say it is only the start of an aurora-filled weekend. Also, this is the place to watch as we get closer to Comet Elenin. I am sure they will be talking about it and posting photos of it from around the world. Amateurs everywhere can send photos and videos to them. You and I could too, if we record something good. That's why I like it, it's stuff from ordinary people with backyard telescopes and cameras, not just from professionals.

...and IF...some great cosmic happening occurs someday in the near future, something connected with the warning or one of the secrets, it will be interesting to see how a site such as this will cover it and intrepret it. Not to explain it away for us, but to help us comprehend better how to tie it all together for others, to make a good "case" for God's hand in it all...to boldly go where no Christian has gone before! :wink:
    http://www.spaceweather.com

2. padraig

padraig Powers

This reminds me of the creation story from Genesis which places us as the children of God at the centre of everything, which is another way of saying that Jesus is at the centre of everything

Acts 17:28
    'For in him we live and move and have our being.' As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring.'.

Jesus..for whom even the stars go dancing at His bidding.

Jesus, the Pantocrator

[​IMG]

3. Lee

Lee Principalities

4. MomsCalling

Amazing, Padraig!
    Very Cool, Lee!

5. MomsCalling

For those watching the sky and the auroras - "EARTH-DIRECTED FLARE: Active sunspot AR1401 erupted today, Jan. 19th, for more than an hour around 16:00 UT. The long-duration blast produced an M3-class solar flare and a CME that appears to be heading toward Earth. Forecasters say strong geomagnetic storms are possible when the cloud arrives during the late hours of Jan. 21st. High-latitude (and possibly middle-latitude) sky watchers should be alert for auroras this weekend."
    Several sunspots, including AR1401, are turning toward Earth right now. It says that AR1401 has been emmitting one class M solar flare per day so far. Eruptions from AR1401 will become increasingly geoeffective in the days ahead as the sun's rotation aligns the active region with our planet. There may be some spectacular skies ahead...and we know that God likes to use His nature to get our attention... :wink:
    http://spaceweather.com

...to boldly go where no Christian has gone before...

6. Kathleen

Kathleen New Member

Thanks for the warning. That last big one brought a higher than normal number of hospitalizations of my clients. I'm on the watch to see if it happens again. Some of the research has shown a connection to poor mental health and an increase in homocidesvso I'm curious.
    pray,pray,pray
    Kath

7. MomsCalling

Oh really! I didn't think about that...hmmm.
    I just love any chance to get a glimpse of an aurora this far south in our hemisphere. And of course I wonder on the side, if perhaps God will use it to show us something significant... :wink:
    Ever since that thing happened with us on that odd night, I have had a special interest in these phenomena. Something people don't think about too is that the storms hit us 24 hours a day, not just at night when we can see them, so if your GPS doesn't work right this weekend or you hear one of those "eery" sounds, or the birds go quiet, or the clouds look very odd, well, it could have something to do with a solar storm. (or apparently if your husband goes a little goofy or your teenagers fly off the handle too!!!) :)

8. MomsCalling

Well the weather here has been rainy-snowy and cloudy so I didn't get to see anything yesterday, boo hoo, but the show's not over yet.
    Today another mass ejection occurred, much larger, they say, than the one that hit us yesterday (and that one they said did subject sattelites to solar radiation and did a number on our ionisphere). This new one will make a glancing blow to the north, they say, on the 24th/25th. So keep watching that northern horizon!

Kathleen, how did it go this weekend with your clients?

9. MomsCalling

http://spaceweather.com
    Latest Update: "RADIATION STORM IN PROGRESS: Solar protons accelerated by this morning's M9-class solar flare are streaming past Earth. On the NOAA scale of radiation storms, this one ranks S3, which means it could, e.g., cause isolated reboots of computers onboard Earth-orbiting satellites and interfere with polar radio communications."
    (I couldn't get my Weather App to work this morning on my cell phone, could this by why? :D )
    "This is a relatively substantial and fast-moving (2200 km/s) CME. Spacecraft in geosynchronous, polar and other orbits passing through Earth's ring current and auroral regions could be affected by the cloud's arrival. In addition, strong geomagnetic storms are possible, so high-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras."

This is the biggest storm I have heard them talk about in a very long time. Remember that for a couple of years there, the sun was almost spot-free, to the degree of actually puzzling the scientists, meaning very little activity of this type was happening. Now the sun has "re-awakened", and this is the biggest storm yet, from what I gather. Worth raising an eye to the nighttime sky, don't you think? And perhaps a head's up not to cuss out our GPS or our cell phone company if we have a little trouble in the next day or two. Sometimes it's "God's fault". Of course the world forgets that these days.

I know not everyone is into this stuff, but we talk so much about the mystical and speculative, that sometimes I like to re-ground by looking at the psysical wonders of God's creation, the awesome signs of his presence that are actually happening but many pay little attention to, that we can see, and measure, and sometimes feel. Besides, you never know when God might decide to use something like this to send us a message, or even just one individual. We watch the clouds and the sun for signs all the time, why not these auroras and radiation storms?

Darn it though, it's another cloudy, gloomy day here...why is it that every time there is a really big magnetic storm, where we just might be able to get a glimpse of an aurora here, is it always cloudy? Hoping for a clearer day tomorrow... :p