Some history on the Tridentine Mass

Discussion in 'Pope Francis' started by Mark Dohle, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Mark Dohle

Mark Dohle Powers

The Tridentine Mass, also known as the Traditional Latin Mass, is the Roman Rite Mass of the Catholic Church which appears in typical editions of the Roman Missal published from 1570 to 1962.

The first language of Christian liturgy was Aramaic, the common language of the first Christians, who were Palestinian Jews. While Hebrew was the language of scripture and formal worship, Christian worship occurred in the home where Aramaic was spoken. The words Abba and maranatha are Aramaic.

Christianity quickly spread from Palestine to the rest of the world, and the Eucharist came to be celebrated in many languages, including Syriac, Coptic, and Armenian. In most of the Mediterranean world, the common language was Greek, which became the language of liturgy in that region and remained so until the early third century.

Eucharist itself is a Greek word, meaning thanksgiving. The phrase Kyrie eleison and the words liturgy, baptism, evangelize, martyr, and catechumen, among other familiar church words, are also Greek in origin.

From around the third century B.C., what we call “classical” Latin was the language of the Roman aristocracy and the educated classes. Around the time Jesus was born, during the reign of Augustus Caesar, the language began to change. The Roman aristocracy was destroyed by war and political infighting; when they disappeared, their language went with them. Classical Latin was replaced by a less refined version of the language.

In the third and fourth centuries A.D. this form of Latin began to replace Greek as the common language of the Roman world and soon became the language of the liturgy.

https://uscatholic.org/articles/201006/when-did-we-start-celebrating-mass-in-latin/

TinNM likes this.
  2. andree

andree Powers

Thank you for sharing this Mark.

In my meditations, I understand that the formality of tradition would have been perfected in the temple at the time of Christ and by comparison, the Last Supper would have been viewed as a very poor ritual if you looked at it with the eyes of the world then - a wonderful simplicity and total absence of formalism. Yet, I would have loved to have been there instead of in the temple.

I have a very hard time imagining formal, long masses in the Cenacle in Jerusalem when the apostles were persecuted and then in the catacombs. The masses then would have had to be shorter and simpler, but what humility and simplicity then and what Spirit and Love of Christ must have been present. Love unto death for all who risked their lives to attend.

I have always understood that the mass evolved over centuries as the number or disciples who had known Christ diminished and the faithful grew, and deviances starting to occur in the mass. The Church got more structured in response to problems in order to minimize possible heresies and deviances that took away from its central purpose. But in the beginning, when Christians were poor and filled with the Holy Spirit, those masses must have been so, so beautiful and powerful despite the lack of tradition.

I know that people who love the TLM today would have a hard time hearing this, but as everything is tending towards a return to the catacombs and poverty for the Church, it would help to try to view events today with that perspective.

Mark Dohle and TinNM like this.
  3. Mark Dohle

Mark Dohle Powers

Thank you Andree. Yes, I agree with you about simplicity in worship. Some people need more pomp, which can be very beautiful and inspiring. I just tend to get overwhelmed. When young, I still remember being an altar boy and the Latin mass
    and it was not always beautiful, nor reverent. For me, it is about being mindful of what is going on, especially when receiving the Eucharist.

Peace
    Mark

4. Christy Beth

Christy Beth Archangels

I've heard much said for the Latin Mass lately. But, having entered the Church in 1997, all I've known has been the Mass in English. I simply don't know Latin, and don't have anyone to teach me enough of it to know what's going on. But, I've heard some Catholics say that only the Traditional Latin Mass is valid, and no other. This really saddens me because of my lack of Latin, and the lack of opportunity to learn it. There is one Church in town that has, or had, the Latin Mass offered. I went once with someone, and he had to tell me what was going on the whole time. Which kind of disturbed me, but I knew I needed to know. At least he was nice enough to keep me up with what was going on. Anyway, I hope to not get caught in the middle of such a heated debate.

Mario likes this.
  5. Mario

Mario Powers

Christy,

If you're considering going more frequently it is best to acquire a missal that has Latin on one side and the corresponding English on the other. This most often includes depictions of the bodily posture of the priest to keep you on track.:)

Let us worship the Lord in holy attire!

Ananchal likes this.
  6. Christy Beth

Christy Beth Archangels

Well, if it's still offered, it's at a Church I would need a ride to, and I know of nobody there. I went with someone who was a part of a third order Franscican thing. Anyway, I was kind of wanting to be a part of that group, so I met with them the one time. I never heard from him again. I later heard that he had died unexpectedly. Anyway, that was many years ago. I've never had a chance to go back. But, I would at least consider it if it was given as an option. But I think I am more upset by the attitude of some who say that it is the only valid Mass. If that were true, there are millions who are on the outside looking in. I like having the Mass in English, and being a part of it and all that. Anyway, maybe some day I'll have the chance to go back to one. If it is still offered.

7. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

The Novus Ordo Mass is valid. (What is known as the Ordinary Form)

Ananchal, Michael Pio and Mark Dohle like this.
  8. Michael Pio

Michael Pio Archangels

I would say it is not so much about the language, the Novus Ordo should normally be prayed in Latin as well, for the sake of unity, not to cause division. It is more about the prayers themselves, for example, the prayers at the food of the altar, the consecration, the St. Michael prayer at the end of low Mass which Pope Leo XIII. explicitly ordered to be prayed after he overheard Our Good Lord conversing with the adversary.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  9. Michael Pio

Michael Pio Archangels

Yes, I think you are quite right in saying that Holy Mass evolved over time. I would say the question is whether the Novus Ordo is a true continuation of that tradition (hermeneutic of continuity). Even so, another question is whether the Novus Ordo is at the same level of sacrifice, adoration and worship as the TLM, or whether the TLM is a superior form of worship in a similar way that a Missa Cantata is a superior form compared to Low Mass.

garabandal likes this.